Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When is this thread going to be reopened

Options
  • 15-10-2015 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭

Hi the thread on the Carrickmines traveler situation has been closed down since early this morning with no other details on when it is going to be reopened.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057506161

It might be prudent to split the two narratives into separate threads.

One on the tragedy itself and one regarding the forcing of the halting site construction on the residents by the council.

This is a subject that there is immediate interest in and tbh it is one that should be allowed for discussion on this site. IMHO only a handful of the comments on the closed thread are contentious and they could be dealt with quite quickly. It appears that boards and it moderators are afraid of this subject or it doesn't fit their own social bias?

I'd be interested in some feedback on this request?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

As explained in the closing post...
    "Closed for review. It make take a while for it to reopen."

The mods wish to review it due to the volume of reported posts & general carry-on by some posters in the thread. There's a lot to go through & mods have jobs too. Give it a little while.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I am very familiar with how long modding can take on a contentious subject I modded politics and cmodded the society section for years. However it has now been over 12 hours. Given AH has one of the highest moderator counts on boards I would have expected that the reported posts would have been reviewed and dealt with by now.

Unless the moderation team are uncomfortable with the direction the discussion is taking and are practising censorship by closure?

Have we an ETA on reopening the thread yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

As someone who moderated for years, you should be well aware that simply because there are X number of moderators, it does not mean they are all available at any given time, and sometimes controversial threads may need team discussion and careful examination.

You're undoubtedly also aware that your first port of call should be with the moderation team concerned. I would suggest you perhaps send them a PM to enquire.

The AH Mod team have discussed the thread at length, & it will remain closed for the reasons outlined here.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

BuffyBot wrote: »
    As someone who moderated for years, you should be well aware that simply because there are X number of moderators, it does not mean they are all available at any given time, and sometimes controversial threads may need team discussion and careful examination.

You're undoubtedly also aware that your first port of call should be with the moderation team concerned. I would suggest you perhaps send them a PM to enquire.

Oh I did contact the moderator who shut down the thread. A new one has been opened which covers the aspects I wanted to discuss.

However I do disagree with you. Unless there is a legal reason I don't see why a more decisive decision was not made on the thread in question. Certainly over 24 hours is not an acceptable decision turnaround on the busiest forum on boards.ie.

• Advertisement

gandalf wrote: »
    Unless there is a legal reason I don't see why a more decisive decision was not made on the thread in question. Certainly over 24 hours is not an acceptable decision turnaround on the busiest forum on boards.ie.

While 24 hours is not acceptable to you for the mod team to review the thread in question & discuss the many issues noted in it, & then decide on what to do with it - all the while getting on with real life stuff - I consider it acceptable.

As you acknowledge - AH is probably the busiest of the forums on this site. The mod team has a lot to cover on a daily basis - that thread just being one amongst many that required their attention at the time. Their response was appropriate & within an acceptable timeframe in my opinion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement