Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10 Update notification - Hidden update keeps returning!

• 15-10-2015 2:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭

I've removed the Windows 10 upgrade notice a number of times from my Windows 7 PC and it just keeps coming back. It seems that Windows is deciding after a while that my hidden updates should become unhidden!

This is what I do to get rid of it (and this works, in case anyone needs to get rid of this thing):
    1. Control Panel -> Windows Update -> Installed Updates (on bottom left).
    2. Find update KB3035583 and remove it.
    3. Restart the PC.
    4. Control Panel -> Windows Update -> Show all available updates.
    5. Find KB3035583, right click on it and select option to hide it.

But a couple of weeks or months later, I find that KB3035583 has been installed again as part of the Windows update and I need to do the above again. Is there some kind of "time out" period where Windows automatically restores hidden updates.

As unreasonable as I know this is, I just find that upgrade notice so irritating!

Thanks for any advice.

Edit: I just realised something! This thing seems very insidious: I have my PC set so that although updates can be downloaded automatically, I must decide to install them manually. But I haven't installed any updates in a while, so it seems that KB3035583 managed to install itself outside the normal Windows Update! Is that possible? Should start wearing a tinfoil hat?!

Edit Again: May have found it. Even though I hid KB3035583, I just spotted a different update called "Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro" automatically selected under Optional Updates. I'll try hiding that too. But still doesn't fully explain how KB3035583 got back on the PC when I haven't run an update in a while. Tinfoil hat under construction!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Hoagy

They're very persistent aren't they.

There's a useful page with a list of the little tracking/nagware updates and a batch file to simplify their removal.

http://techne.alaya.net/?p=12499

Tinfoil hats are optional for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Regedit: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Gwx

Create a new REG_DWORD registry value called: DisableGwx

Give it a value of: 1

(I also had to create the Gwx key).

reboot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

10576 for Insiders is available now

Advertisement