Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currys Damaged Dishwasher

Options
  • 15-10-2015 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭

Hi

Having our house renovated, major job new kitchen, windows etc etc. Bought a dishwasher off currys and got it delivered about a month ago. Kitchen installer only started this week and when he opened the washer the base was smashed. Absolutely no sign of damage on outer box. Rang Currys who basically told us because we didnt tell them within 48 hours of delivery (as per their conditions) they will not replace or fix it.

Is this correct? Am I stuck with a broken dishwasher or what can I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

No, not correct. There is no requirement to open goods within 24 hours. I got a replacement cooker that had a damaged panel that we only saw whn we opened the box, 5 months after delivery (house renovation delays). The supplier originally said no, but was easily persuaded. The cooker still had the protective film on it, so clearly the damage was from the factory. i would speak to a manager in Currys and push back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Yet ANOTHER curry's crap customer service thread!

Currys don't give a damn about customers - you ust have to do a search on boards to see that.

To the Op they are 100% wrong.

Give them 7 days and then start small claims court action -costs €25 and can be done online.

Seems currys will only provide your consumer rights if a SCC action has been initiated.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057506945

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

There is a requirement to promptly notify a seller of a fault, that said 48 hours is taking the... The other issue is that Curry's may try to use the delay as evidence that you damaged it rather than their delivery people.

All that said, terrible company, terrible service, use the SmCC Procdure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

I bought a HP laptop of them online, the charger packed up after a few weeks and I rang them. They told me to bring it to one of their outlets which I did. Explained the situation with receipt (never looked for it) and was given a replacement charger straight away no quibbles. Very sound to deal with in my case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

I was looking up various consumer right sites and found a template letter on one of them for contacting suppliers about such issues. Anyways filled out one of these and e-mailed it with pictures explaining my situation last Friday. I got a phone call Saturday evening from my local store where I bought the washer. The lady said she needed to speak to her manager this week and would call me back with an up-date. So hopefully they will sort it out before I have to go down the SMCC route.
    There is a requirement to promptly notify a seller of a fault, that said 48 hours is taking the... The other issue is that Curry's may try to use the delay as evidence that you damaged it rather than their delivery people.

All that said, terrible company, terrible service, use the SmCC Procdure.

I get what you are saying to a point. But the box has absolutely no damage or marks on the outside. It was only after the box was opened that the damage became apparent. There was also literally no place to open the box or inspect the washer when it was delivered as the house was torn apart by the builders. It was stored in the one bedroom that was not ripped apart along with several other boxes and white goods. Telling me I had a window of 48 hours only to complain and thats it, is ridiculous. I'm left with a 300quid lump of metal that is totally useless.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 295 ✭✭mattaiuseire

This is why all delivered and packaged goods should be thoroughly inspected before signing off.

Unfortunately you will have some difficulty with this as by all accounts the company will follow their procedure and blame you for the damage and prove that you signed a docket confirming you were happy with it on arrival. Next time mark next to your signature something along the lines of "Unable to inspect" or "not checked" etc.

Threaten legal action and quote Sale of Goods Act - do some research on it first.
    SoGA in reality allows us "reasonable time" to inspect goods. Curry's therefore have no right to decide that because it was already installed they cannot exchange - they can, they just simply don't want the hassle and it's easier to fob you off.

In court, it would be up to a judge to determine if a month is more than a reasonable amount of time but if you can back up your story with evidence it will be difficult for them to, on balance, decide in favour of the supplier. The chances of the supplier going to court are extremely slim to absolute zero though, before it got to that point they would back down and you'd likely get what you want.

I, for one, would stand my ground and insist they arrange for a replacement. What you could do is, if you do not get anywhere, contact your bank or credit card issuer and have the money charged back to you.

Well there is a happy end to this particular Curry's story. The have agreed to replace the damaged dishwasher with a new one. The lady I was dealing with was very polite and apologetic. Will be exchanged this weekend and I'll make sure to check the new one immediately after it comes off the van!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 295 ✭✭mattaiuseire

Well there is a happy end to this particular Curry's story. The have agreed to replace the damaged dishwasher with a new one. The lady I was dealing with was very polite and apologetic. Will be exchanged this weekend and I'll make sure to check the new one immediately after it comes off the van!

Good news but they should have done this for you instantly.

How did you go about this? Did you use any of the info given in the thread or were you lucky and flirted with a nice young bird? :D

No flirting;) just a firm and polite e.mail. I got a template letter off a consumer help website which quoted the relevant legislation and attached pictures. Thats all it took in the end.

Advertisement