Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are serious injuries becoming more common? why?

• 15-10-2015 3:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭

With Ings and Gomez both having their seasons ended in the last 3 days. Combined with Bournemouth loosing Mings, Gradel & Wilson, Newcastle loosing Krul, Chelsea with Courtois. Probably more I've forgotten. What the hell is going on with players knees?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

Too knobbly .......

Knees.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Gladbach had 3 ACL's in the International break. I think its to do with the pitches being alot harder & fatigue from lots of games & travelling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

It's always happened,at least these days most injuries can be fixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Anything to do with more muscle definition? More gym work hence more "there" to potentially injure. Just a theory I have as I have seen it happen more frequently at my GAA club where there has been an increased emphasis in gym work.

No doubt that's just me being a crack-pot pessimist about lads doing more physical and less technical training :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Anything to do with more muscle definition? More gym work hence more "there" to potentially injure. Just a theory I have as I have seen it happen more frequently at my GAA club where there has been an increased emphasis in gym work.

No doubt that's just me being a crack-pot pessimist about lads doing more physical and less technical training :D

I'd say in the GAA club it was down to poor form or overtraining, happened to myself and a lot of others a few years ago at my club. Prem league players have world class trainers though so I don't think it'd be that. I don't think it's any more common today OP? I'd need to see some actual stats before I start thinking it.

There could be a case made that because of the lack of physicality these days compared to before that players that are injury prone that in those days just wouldn't have cut the mustard with the lack of treatment available are now able to play for consecutive seasons and as a result there's more of them around. That's just me spitballing though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

.[/quote]

Burnley have lost 5 players to ACL in the space of a year. Hard to believe but the four strikers that played for burnley in the premier league last year .Vokes was coming back from an ACL only started playing around xmas and jutkiewicz Barnes and now ings all currently have an ACL injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Weren't boots with blades instead of studs being blamed for a lot of knee injuries.

There might be something to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Unless you are over-training, muscle definition is not the cause. Stronger muscles result in less injuries, as they don't tear as easy and offer more support for ligaments.

Personally I think it's fatigue, playing so many games so close together. I'd guess some of the playing surfaces players play on at International level they wouldn't be used to at club level too.

Seems to be a particularly bad international break though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

The muscles are getting stronger but the joints and ligaments holding them in place are not

Saw this thread title then saw Ings was injured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

https://www.reddit.com/r/LiverpoolFC/comments/3oy1gt/impact_of_acl_injuries_on_strikers_performance/

Bit on ACL injuries on the LFC Reddit..

Interesting article in the piece on NFL players who have torn their ACL doing the Ronaldo celebration.

flas wrote: »
    The muscles are getting stronger but the joints and ligaments holding them in place are not

Never said they were, but what do you think offers the most protection to joints and ligaments?

Rehab for an ACL and the majority of knee injuries focuses on strengthening muscles around the knee. This with stability exercise can strengthen the smaller stabilizing muscles. If the muscle's around the knee are strong there is less chance of it going into an unnatural position and injuring it.

Obviously there is a cut off, if a player is carrying loads of heavy muscle then there is going to be more wear and tear in joints. But modern footballers are a pretty excellent balance of strength and endurance.

I think the main reason there are more injuries isn't because players are more muscularly developed but because the speed of the game has gone up so much over the years.

brevity wrote: »
    https://www.reddit.com/r/LiverpoolFC/comments/3oy1gt/impact_of_acl_injuries_on_strikers_performance/

Bit on ACL injuries on the LFC Reddit..

Interesting article in the piece on NFL players who have torn their ACL doing the Ronaldo celebration.

I shouldn't laugh at that vine, but christ how does that happen? 2 players doing an ACL trying to do the Ronaldo? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Insane Rambling

Saw an interesting tweet last night saying that the pitches are being developed to not cut up as easy as they would have before and that something has to give way if the pitch does not. Might have something to do with it.

Have noticed a lot more injuries in my local club since they started playing their games on a full sized astro turf.

Games over a 5 a side shouldn't be played on astro. You may as well be playing on concrete, absolutely no give in the surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

Too many "small, technically gifted players".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Players play at a much higher intensity these days, you'll notice that overall the distances covered during a match are similar over the last decade, but we've seen a rise in the time a player tends to be sprinting. This obviously means there is more impact forces going into tackles and challenges, and also that players are more likely to be hyperextending joints as they stretch to reach the ball.

Pitch firmness makes feck all difference, a player is more likely to injure himself turning or stretching for the ball.

Advertisement