Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scratch card problem

Options
  • 15-10-2015 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭

Won a Free scratch on the scratch card I bought. When they try to scan it it doesn't scan so they can't give me the free one?
    Anyone know if contacting the lottery will help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,038 ✭✭✭✭L1011

First thing: how old is the scratchcard?

If its within the time limits (90 days since notified end of the game number in the papers - not that anyone checks), firstly try another shop then contact the National Lottery. Its possible that either the roll of scratchcards was never activated - this is an anti-theft measure, or they sold you a very old scratchcard by mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Go back to the store you purchased it in. Only they can activate it on their machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Eh no.....I have won several times and get paid if I go into a different shop, so long as they are also a lottery agent. Sure by your logic if I bought a ticket in Dublin when visiting a friend and won I would have to wait until I was back inDublin and could only claim when back in that same shop?? Nonsense....

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭StevieNicksFan

frag420 wrote: »
    Eh no.....I have won several times and get paid if I go into a different shop, so long as they are also a lottery agent. Sure by your logic if I bought a ticket in Dublin when visiting a friend and won I would have to wait until I was back inDublin and could only claim when back in that same shop?? Nonsense....

I think the poster meant bring the original scratch card that won back to the shop it was bought in. If the roll of scratchcards wasnt activated on the shops machine before being sold, it wont register when being scanned as a winner

Edit: just saw someone has already mentioned that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

There are two possibilities here.

1. The scratch card is old and has expired. You have 90 days from the announced end of game, to claim any prize.

2. When a new book of cards is opened in a store, they are supposed to "activate" it on their machine. That notifys the lottery, the tickets are being sold. If the shop forgets, the ticket book is officially not on sale, so they cannot be cashed.

What normally happens is a staff member opens a book and forgets to activate it. Then people like yourself cannot claim winnings. The solution is go back to the agent that has THAT book, or get any shop to call the lottery. They see which shop is involved and rings them to remind them. Once they "activate" the book, any agent can cash your ticket.

I AM A LOTTERY AGENT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

I had problems with a winning ticket as it would not scan and I sent it to the address on website ( Abbey St. Lower ) and they sent me a cheque in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 theresathrift

Same thing happened to me, I found a few 'One Euro All Cash's from a few years ago with a couple of quid won on each of them. I was told that shops can no longer honour them as they no longer sell these ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Same thing happened to me, I found a few 'One Euro All Cash's from a few years ago with a couple of quid won on each of them. I was told that shops can no longer honour them as they no longer sell these ones.

That is not the same thing. You found a card that was a few years old so it's to be expected that that card had been withdrawn from sale more than 90 days earlier and that's why you couldn't claim the prize.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Try contacting the National Lottery. You'd never know they might honour it.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,038 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Try contacting the National Lottery. You'd never know they might honour it.

If they are actually a few years old, as its a (partially) different company to before, that'd be fairly unlikely.

• Advertisement
Advertisement