Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I think this is Ronan Mahers 4th year at u21, if so that's some going.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Jeez id forgotten about big Quirke who is a handful. Willie Connors very rated player though as is Andy Coffee and Billy McCarthy. Paul Maher (brother of Bill) hit a world of ball for that minor team down in Waterford a few years ago at centre back.

Limerick are excellent at this level although games have been close between the two at minor and u21 grade since 2013.

A fairly even North, South, West and Mid spread throughout that team.

It's good to see a Moyle Rovers man there, I'm guessing he's the first from the club on the 21s since the great Declan Browne. They've been doing some great work in hurling down there in recent years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

I think this is Ronan Mahers 4th year at u21, if so that's some going.

No, its his third year. 2012 he was on the AI winning Minor team alright.

My bad of course 2013 championship would be 4 years ago, still don't think he was though, certainly not on the starting 15.

It's good to see a Moyle Rovers man there, I'm guessing he's the first from the club on the 21s since the great Declan Browne. They've been doing some great work in hurling down there in recent years.

Has been a real spread of ''non- traditional'' clubs being represented across Tipp teams the last number of years, which is great to see.

There has been a huge population explosion in Moyle Rovers, Ii know there was talks a number of years ago about dividing the club, which is in affect 3 or 4 seperate parishes, did anything ever come of that or has it been shelved?

danganabu wrote: »
    Has been a real spread of ''non- traditional'' clubs being represented across Tipp teams the last number of years, which is great to see.

There has been a huge population explosion in Moyle Rovers, Ii know there was talks a number of years ago about dividing the club, which is in affect 3 or 4 seperate parishes, did anything ever come of that or has it been shelved?

Wouldn't have a clue to be honest, not from that part of the county. Never realised it was that size either, although I was at a game there a few years back. Definitely a noticeable rise in south men on hurling panels these past few years and probably a rise in north men on football panels too, so it's not just a one way trend. It's a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

• Advertisement

Clerihan would have been a new club to emerge from any proposed divide. They are Junior B at present. Had Declan Browne been a young lad today, he would have had to line out for them because he lived in Clerihan although im also told he is originally from Ardfinnan. Im open to correction on that one though. I do know he's a cousin of Brendan Cummins also as Cummins mentioned this previously iirc.

From what im told, Moyle Rovers are somewhat 'proactive' in the transfer market around Clonmel :D
    They have the best of both worlds. They are based in the country but have alot of members resident in Clonmel town. The clubhouse itself is in Monroe which is a townsland at the Clonmel side of Lisronagh ( a hamlet located halfway between Fethard and Clonmel). You'd have originally Clerihan, Powerstown, Lisronagh, Orchardstown (townsland between Cashel Road Clonmel and Lisronagh) all eligible to play for Moyle Rovers and their 'parish' goes right up to and perhaps beyond the fethard road Clonmel.
    Clerihan are out on their own now though.
    I was also told that any new lad that joined the army in Clonmel that was handy with a football was paid a visit fairly quick sharp from a Moyle Rovers official enquiring about his services although id doubt ure they are not the only ones doing this. :D

Wouldn't have a clue to be honest, not from that part of the county. Never realised it was that size either, although I was at a game there a few years back. Definitely a noticeable rise in south men on hurling panels these past few years and probably a rise in north men on football panels too, so it's not just a one way trend. It's a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

Hurling is getting very strong around Clonmel with the High School competing in the Harty Cup in recent times. They would have St Marys, Kilsheelan, Moyle Rovers, Clonmel Og, mainly to pick from with a few outliers.

Id like to see a few from the likes of Cahir, Newcastle, Father Sheehys, Ballylooby, Skeeheenarinky, Ballybacon break onto a few panels though. Alot of these lads would probably go to school in Cahir id imagine and Cahir would be a stronger football school. Ballybacon were a very strong hurling unit in the noughties and were senior for a couple of years albeit not by winning the county intermediate. Think they are junior now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Hurling is getting very strong around Clonmel with the High School competing in the Harty Cup in recent times. They would have St Marys, Kilsheelan, Moyle Rovers, Clonmel Og, mainly to pick from with a few outliers.

Id like to see a few from the likes of Cahir, Newcastle, Father Sheehys, Ballylooby, Skeeheenarinky, Ballybacon break onto a few squads though. Alot of these lads would probably go to school in Cahir id imagine and Cahir would be a stronger football school. Ballybacon were a very strong hurling unit in the noughties and were senior for a couple of years albeit not by winning the county intermediate. Think they are junior now.
    How do you see any from these areas breaking onto squads? What changes would you see needed for this to happen?

How do you see any from these areas breaking onto squads? What changes would you see needed for this to happen?

I would say one of the key areas is in the schools hurling. The Celtic tournament is also a pretty excellent initiative which inaugurated this year. From a club point of view i think there should be amalgamations while allowing the lads to represent their individual clubs in the lower grades. its really about exposure to the top level but ensuring at the same time that the lads are in a good position to be competitive.

Sean Carey won a minor and u21 with Tipperary from 2007-10 and then went onto win an Intermediate in 2012. Ciaran Lanigan and Peter Acheson were also selected on underage panels.

• Advertisement

Sean Carey won a minor and u21 with Tipperary from 2007-10 and then went onto win an Intermediate in 2012. Ciaran Lanigan and Peter Acheson were also selected on underage panels.

Cheers, I had a feeling I was going to be proved wrong about that! Looking back that 2010 under-21 team was something else, nearly half of that team will be lining out in the s/f. Think Seamus Hennessy would have made it too if injury hadn't intervened.

Id like to see a few from the likes of Cahir, Newcastle, Father Sheehys, Ballylooby, Skeeheenarinky, Ballybacon break onto a few panels though. Alot of these lads would probably go to school in Cahir id imagine and Cahir would be a stronger football school. Ballybacon were a very strong hurling unit in the noughties and were senior for a couple of years albeit not by winning the county intermediate. Think they are junior now.

There's a chap from Skeeheenarinky on the U21 panel this year AFAIK.

Two points down at half-time which, on balance, is probably fair enough. Great goal by Coffey but we didn't push on after it. Limerick seem to have that bit more space, always have a man available and are creating more chances. Going to have to dig in second half to get a result here. Willie Connors put in a good first-half shift in fairness and Coffey got 1-1 but not sure anybody has really stood out yet.

Good win in the end,
    Waterford on 27 July next

There's a chap from Skeeheenarinky on the U21 panel this year AFAIK.

Yeah just found out there earlier. Good luck to him. Great to see. Hopefully the first of many from that South Western area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Good win tonight, wasn't expecting it to be honest but delighted we're in another Munster hurling final.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Derry in the football?
    That's doable isn't it?

They can beat Derry. I'm guessing this will be Croke Park right? Some of these Tipp players will have very happy memories of Croke Park, no fears here at all.

They can beat Derry. I'm guessing this will be Croke Park right? Some of these Tipp players will have very happy memories of Croke Park, no fears here at all.

Breffni Park....Sorry 'kingspan' Breffni Park :rolleyes:, Cavan. 5pm on Saturday night... Ridiculous time given the journey involved. Venue could have been better too. Not exactly equidistant

http://www.bbc.com/sport/gaelic-games/36823676

Breffni Park....Sorry 'kingspan' Breffni Park :rolleyes:, Cavan. 5pm on Saturday night... Ridiculous time given the journey involved. Venue could have been better too. Not exactly equidistant

I guess fixtures just weren't juicy enough for the headquarters double bill. Nice for Derry to get a venue they're familiar with in which they will have played only a week previously!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Triboro

Was thinking it would have been Hyde park in Roscommon.
    More central to both teams and taking them out of their own province. Might be something already scheduled for Hyde tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Triboro wrote: »
    Might be something already scheduled for Hyde tho.

Yea - it's closed for refurb

Seven Worlds will Collide

Yea - it's closed for refurb

could have also chosen Longford or Mullingar surely though. Even Parnell Park

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Cavan is about 2 hours from Derry, 2.5 hours from Thurles, so it's not overly unfair from that point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Probably on Sky sports is it?

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Cavan is about 2 hours from Derry, 2.5 hours from Thurles, so it's not overly unfair from that point of view.

You wouldnt think it. I remember going up to a relatives funeral in Co Cavan years ago and we must have went through 5 or 6 counties including start and destination. Tipperary, kilkenny, Laois, Offaly, Westmeath and then Cavan. Although there is a lack of motorways up there too to make the journey quicker on the Derry people. We probably have the better roads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

I assume the GAA decided to keep it closer to Derry as they expect to get a bigger crowd following Derry and a small crowd filling Tipp...probably true but very unfair to those of us who do attend Tipp football games, also unfair to a the team as its a very long journey. Also the fact that Derry have played at this pitch recently means it is not a fair neutral venue.

solerina wrote: »
    I assume the GAA decided to keep it closer to Derry as they expect to get a bigger crowd following Derry and a small crowd filling Tipp...probably true but very unfair to those of us who do attend Tipp football games, also unfair to a the team as its a very long journey. Also the fact that Derry have played at this pitch recently means it is not a fair neutral venue.

In the interest of fairness it should have been played in a neutral province.

Whats wrong with Mullingar or Navan? Credit to the Nordies though they are brilliant to follow their team. I remember playing Antrim back in 2012 and there was loads of them down in Thurles for it.

Whats wrong with Mullingar or Navan? Credit to the Nordies though they are brilliant to follow their team. I remember playing Antrim back in 2012 and there was loads of them down in Thurles for it.

It's a little bit unfair alright, but it's gone now. Fodder for the victory speech! I remember watching the 21s lose against Tyrone last year and thinking they just needed a bit more cuteness about them to beat these northern teams. There'll be a fair few of those guys playing on saturday and it's an important step in the evolution of this team. Kerry wasn't a realistic target, but this game is. They know they're capable of beating Derry and if they play like it, they nearly will. The odds of 9/4 are more than fair.

• Advertisement

solerina wrote: »
    Maybe or perhaps that was the best/most suitable venue that could be found for the game.

I don't see why it should have to have been played in neutral province.
    Take all Ireland hurling quarters with that logic you wouldn't ever really be able to host all Ireland hurling quarters anywhere but Galway

Advertisement