Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2016

Options

Comments

Maybe or perhaps that was the best/most suitable venue that could be found for the game.

I don't see why it should have to have been played in neutral province.
    Take all Ireland hurling quarters with that logic you wouldn't ever really be able to host all Ireland hurling quarters anywhere but Galway

Fair point, but there is more of a geographic reach with football than hurling so for that reason id be inclined to bring both counties to a pitch they are some bit unfamiliar with. I mean Derry played in Cavan only last week and would know the surroundings better.

Anyway whats done is done. Hoping the boys can put on a show and perhaps even sneak a win. There shouldnt be much between ourselves and Derry but then again i thought the same thing when we played Galway 2 years ago and we looked very poor in parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Fair point, but there is more of a geographic reach with football than hurling so for that reason id be inclined to bring both counties to a pitch they are some bit unfamiliar with. I mean Derry played in Cavan only last week and would know the surroundings better.

Anyway whats done is done. Hoping the boys can put on a show and perhaps even sneak a win. There shouldnt be much between ourselves and Derry but then again i thought the same thing when we played Galway 2 years ago and we looked very poor in parts.
    That just isn't always possible/wanted.
    I don't see it as a major reason anyway.

North Quarter finals are on in the next week.
    Roscrea v Templederry This Sat in Nenagh 7pm, Kiladangan v Ballina Fri 29th 7pm in Dolla, Kilruane v Borris-Ileigh - Fri 29th @ 7pm in Toomevara, Borrisokane v Burgess - either Tues 26th or Tues 2nd @ 7pm in Nenagh

Anyone care to make a prediction?
    I'll go for Burgess, Roscrea, Borrisoleigh, Kiladangan

That just isn't always possible/wanted.
    I don't see it as a major reason anyway.

North Quarter finals are on in the next week.
    Roscrea v Templederry This Sat in Nenagh 7pm, Kiladangan v Ballina Fri 29th 7pm in Dolla, Kilruane v Borris-Ileigh - Fri 29th @ 7pm in Toomevara, Borrisokane v Burgess - either Tues 26th or Tues 2nd @ 7pm in Nenagh

Anyone care to make a prediction?
    I'll go for Burgess, Roscrea, Borrisoleigh, Kiladangan

Toom not even in the quarters? :eek: Jeez how times have changed. Nenagh is a bigger shock though. Their annus horribulus is similar to Sarsfields back in 2013. They've been one of the best sides in Tipp these last few years. They'll want to put this year out of their memory fairly quick sharpish.

Roscrea building a good young side but Templederry have gone far in recent times. Ill go for Templederry on experience. Kiruane v Borrisilleagh is the most evenly matched of the four. Borrisilleagh with perhaps a bit more quality but it could be close. I dont know alot about either Borrisokane or Burgess. Burgess probably have been better these past few years so ill tip them to beat Borrisokane

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Some win for our footballers lads,unreal game thought it was gone from us and then to score 3 points at the end to win it was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Hopefully Clare can win this, I don't fancy playing Galway again in a semi final, they bullied us last year big time and they're much better than us in the air.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Hopefully Clare can win this, I don't fancy playing Galway again in a semi final, they bullied us last year big time and they're much better than us in the air.

We've come on a bit though since last year and even despite Galway's performance in that semi i think we'd be ready for them this year. We are a better defensive unit and we have more lads willing to win the dirty ball. Breen would offer physicality with Brendan in the middle.

Id personally consider Clare a harder working and more physical outfit than Galway and they have won an all ireland. They'll be a real stiff test for anyone because they improve with every game

I stand corrected, gaillimh it is. They were impressive but we have a score to settle. The 14th should be interesting. Double header with minors.... And football next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Hate playing Galway

honeybear wrote: »
    Hate playing Galway

Many's the time our dreams went to die at the feet of Galway.

Third consecutive season we've played them so there is a rivalry there. They were probably due a win on us when they beat us last year. Hopefully we can avenge it this year. Up the Premier!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Showing my age here - In 1988, they beat us in the final. I was starting secondary school the next day with nothing ready. The bus home was painful

• Advertisement

honeybear wrote: »
    Showing my age here - In 1988, they beat us in the final. I was starting secondary school the next day with nothing ready. The bus home was painful

Not far behind you. Id remember beating them in 1991 and then they beat us in 1993 before falling asunder in the final to the Cats (Sound familiar?)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

They beat us 87 s/f as well, probably the first Tipp-Galway championship match a lot of people had attended. Remember Pat Fox getting a belter of a goal that day but, alas, it wasn't enough.

They beat us 87 s/f as well, probably the first Tipp-Galway championship match a lot of people had attended. Remember Pat Fox getting a belter of a goal that day but, alas, it wasn't enough.

Tipp had ended 'the famine' that year so i suppose they were in bonus territory from that point onwards. That was an outstanding Galway team. Had we overcame them we had the beatings of Kilkenny in the final. 88 would have been a disappointment and then we eventually crossed the line in the 89 semi final against the Tribe minus Tony Keady.

Tipp and Galway have built a rivalry in the football of late too. 2013 things got heavy on the line with Creedon and Mulholland. 2014, we came up against an inspired Shane Walsh performance. Our minors beat them last year in the quarters. Wonder what 2016 will bring?

Tipp had ended 'the famine' that year so i suppose they were in bonus territory from that point onwards. That was an outstanding Galway team. Had we overcame them we had the beatings of Kilkenny in the final. 88 would have been a disappointment and then we eventually crossed the line in the 89 semi final against the Tribe minus Tony Keady.

Tipp and Galway have built a rivalry in the football of late too. 2013 things got heavy on the line with Creedon and Mulholland. 2014, we came up against an inspired Shane Walsh performance. Our minors beat them last year in the quarters. Wonder what 2016 will bring?

Ah yeah...87 was a very special year, all those games against Cork and Killarney was a magical venue for the final game and it just felt great to be back in Croke Park again (the first time for many of us!). You're right, that was a truly great Galway team and probably should've done better in terms of All Ireland, but I think the same for that Tipp team too, but Cork were a pretty hot unit around that time too so nothing came easy.

Take away the Keady stuff and it's always been a good rivalry between us, the games tend to be open, honest and often high-scoring affairs. We're actually 6-6 since 1988 so there's nothing in it. I believe we have the edge at the moment but will still be nervous and very wary approaching the day!

Ah yeah...87 was a very special year, all those games against Cork and Killarney was a magical venue for the final game and it just felt great to be back in Croke Park again (the first time for many of us!). You're right, that was a truly great Galway team and probably should've done better in terms of All Ireland, but I think the same for that Tipp team too, but Cork were a pretty hot unit around that time too so nothing came easy.

Take away the Keady stuff and it's always been a good rivalry between us, the games tend to be open, honest and often high-scoring affairs. We're actually 6-6 since 1988 so there's nothing in it. I believe we have the edge at the moment but will still be nervous and very wary approaching the day!

They should have beaten us in 2001 in all honesty. Mark O'Leary's goals was the difference. 2005 then we collapsed.

Remember Salthill in 2003? i can remember i wasn't able to drive at the time as I was only 19 and I didn't have the income to travel regularly to matches so had to resort to listening to Tipp fm. If you remember the game wasn't live on television due to Tipp refusing to bow to RTE requesting a reschedule to 6pm on Sunday evening. when Benny dunne scored the goal i went bezerk

They should have beaten us in 2001 in all honesty. Mark O'Leary's goals was the difference. 2005 then we collapsed.

Remember Salthill in 2003? i can remember i wasn't able to drive at the time as I was only 19 and I didn't have the income to travel regularly to matches so had to resort to listening to Tipp fm. If you remember the game wasn't live on television due to Tipp refusing to bow to RTE requesting a reschedule to 6pm on Sunday evening. when Benny dunne scored the goal i went bezerk

I'd forgotten about that 2003 match, they were right to refuse..6pm on sunday is a ridiculous time to be playing a match, don't know why it wasn't held on the saturday. I have a much clearer memory of the all ireland semi-final unfortunately :(

I'd forgotten about that 2003 match, they were right to refuse..6pm on sunday is a ridiculous time to be playing a match, don't know why it wasn't held on the saturday. I have a much clearer memory of the all ireland semi-final unfortunately :(

Agree with the 03 game. Northern most Tipp is far enough from Galway but for those travelling from South Tipp its an awful distance altogether. Ridiculous from RTE and everyone lost as a result. Since 88 we have met Galway

89 in Croker - W
    91 in Croker - W
    93 in Croker - L
    00 in Croker - L
    01 in Croker - W
    03 in Salthill- W
    05 in Croker - W
    10 in Croker - W
    14 in Thurles - W
    15 in Croker - L

2010 was probably my favourite because after that game i just felt it was our year. I couldnt see us been beaten by anyone after this game.

Agree with the 03 game. Northern most Tipp is far enough from Galway but for those travelling from South Tipp its an awful distance altogether. Ridiculous from RTE and everyone lost as a result. Since 88 we have met Galway

89 in Croker - W
    91 in Croker - W
    93 in Croker - L
    00 in Croker - L
    01 in Croker - W
    03 in Salthill- L
    05 in Croker - W
    10 in Croker - W
    14 in Thurles - W
    15 in Croker - L

2010 was probably my favourite because after that game i just felt it was our year. I couldnt see us been beaten by anyone after this game.

Think RTE's attitude back then was they thought they owned the games and could basically do what they wanted, same when they threw a wobbly when the fai threatened to sell out to sky. No one wanted it but RTE thought they should virtually get the games for free!

2010 was incredible, nearly didn't happen in that s/f. The amount of those games where there was only a point, maybe two in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭jprboy

Since 88 we have met Galway

89 in Croker - W
    91 in Croker - W
    93 in Croker - L
    00 in Croker - L
    01 in Croker - W
    03 in Salthill- L
    05 in Croker - W
    10 in Croker - W
    14 in Thurles - W
    15 in Croker - L

Tipp actually won the 03 match ( 1-18 - 1-17)

jprboy wrote: »
    Tipp actually won the 03 match ( 1-18 - 1-17)

Error there ill correct that thanks. Remember the game well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Yesterday was unreal....after all the bad days following Tipp football I am one happy happy Tipp fan today !!! Being on the semi final

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

Tipp V Cavan 1935, 'neither a football stronghold nowadays' to misquote the great man.(I can't spell his name}

http://www.the42.ie/tipperary-cavan-1935-2906201-Aug2016/?utm_source=shortlink

mikeymouse wrote: »
    Tipp V Cavan 1935, 'neither a football stronghold' to misquote the great man.

http://www.the42.ie/tipperary-cavan-1935-2906201-Aug2016/?utm_source=shortlink

Cavan were all dominating in Ulster that time. They hold the all time record for Ulster titles at 39. Next in place is neighbours Monaghan on 16 ulster titles. They won the All ireland title that year and were previously champions in 1933. They have only won 1 provincial title since 1969 and that was in 1997 when Wee Martin McHugh was over them

Nice to be sitting back watching a football quarter final knowing we'll be playing the winners in a semi final.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

So Mayo win by a point. 0-13 to 0-12
    Mayo in Croke Park tomorrow fortnight

Enjoyable match. Don't know what Mayo were at for the last 5-10 mins there. Very close to conceding a goal in that very last play through headless football.

Anyway a s/f to look forward to. Mayo very warm favourites but I wouldn't be quaking in my boots either.

Anyway a s/f to look forward to. Mayo very warm favourites but I wouldn't be quaking in my boots either.

Mayo 1/5 favourites already, nothing to lose for Tipp at this stage, I've seen stronger Mayo teams in recent years.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Mayo 1/5 favourites already, nothing to lose for Tipp at this stage, I've seen stronger Mayo teams in recent years.

Lot of good footballers but they seem to play in fits and starts this year. Lee Keegan was phenomenal today. Only thing is we dont' have element of surprise on our side anymore but I'm sure we'll keep it kicked out to em anyway!

Lot of good footballers but they seem to play in fits and starts this year. Lee Keegan was phenomenal today. Only thing is we dont' have element of surprise on our side anymore but I'm sure we'll keep it kicked out to em anyway!

There is a little naivety about Mayo as shown by that bizarre last five minutes. They have some attacking Arsenal which will have more freedom the next day but they will be happy to allow us play our game and satisfied that they can score more than us. Mayo proved today that defensive football doesnt suit them. Their strength is attack, but so is our own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Tipp are in an all Ireland semi final and the bookies have us at 28-1 ?
    that in itself is a motivation to stick it to the f....ers!

Advertisement