Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Have to admit after our performance and Tipp's performance last week, I wasn't too confident today. When Richie cried off, I feared the worst.
    IMO Cathal Barrett's performance especially in the last 10 minutes had a large bearing on the outcome. Let me say, he's a brilliant hurler and one I would have in my team. I just thought today, he went a bit overboard on the physicality ultimately to the detriment of his and his teams prospects. For instance, when Mick Dempsey went to give Power a message late in the second half, CB ran over and barged into Dempsey and knocked him back. It was kind of funny at the time and entertaining. In retrospect though, it was an indicator that maybe he was focussing too much on the physical stakes. He was caught badly for the first goal when Farrell rounded him to set it up for Kelly to finish. He was centrally involved in the second when TJ knocked it down, CB slipped and fell but crucially blocked the path of Hamill thus freeing Kelly to take it in near enough to goal. Tipp had lead throughout up to the first goal and were looking good for a win.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Was really disappointing defeat, I know it's only the league but every game against kk should be treated as must win. I don't care if it's an under 16 challenge match, we need to start beating them and get used to it.

Was the same ould story in terms of the match. We hurled well, in space we were very good. We lost the majority of the 50/50s. Still don't have a centre forward line and more specifically a centre forward who can win ball in the air.

We wilted for the last 10 minutes of both halves. When the game was in the melting pot kk put the shoulder to the wheel and we couldn't live with them. Physically they dominated, won most 50/50s and almost everything in the air. Thought the kk centre back was very impressive, exactly the type of player we need. We seem to have a lack of physicality down the spine of the team and something that Ryan needs to look at.

Having said that it was a good game, very good test and streets ahead of the game the previous week. Referee didn't do us any favours but I suppose no point crying over spilled milk.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Guys. A familiar name popped up on Londons scoresheet the weekend against Carlow. Remember Bill Walsh?

Is it the same guy who used play for our u21s? if its the same guy im thinking of i think i actually found his facebook page and the man is an absolute tank now.

https://www.facebook.com/billwalshpt/

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Guys. A familiar name popped up on Londons scoresheet the weekend against Carlow. Remember Bill Walsh?

Is it the same guy who used play for our u21s? if its the same guy im thinking of i think i actually found his facebook page and the man is an absolute tank now.

https://www.facebook.com/billwalshpt/

I'd say you are getting him mixed up with the Bill Walsh that was with mt.sion in Waterford but transferred back to his original club Carrick Swans for 2016

cul beag wrote: »
    I'd say you are getting him mixed up with the Bill Walsh that was with mt.sion in Waterford but transferred back to his original club Carrick Swans for 2016

Some coincidence though. Is he back with Carrick? Impressed with his fielding for the inters two year ago. Worth a call up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Some coincidence though. Is he back with Carrick? Impressed with his fielding for the inters two year ago. Worth a call up?

Ya gone back to the swans. Never really got going at MT.Sion which was a pity because I can remember him playing against Waterford some years back when Carrick officially opened their new grounds and he was a handful on the same night.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

So Congress this weekend...
    65 motions.
    http://www.gaa.ie/news/annual-congress-2016-the-motions-explained/

Shane Brophy is tweeting how Tipp delegates are voting on the motions now....

Football team not to be named until tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Tipp Hurling team for Sunday.

Gleeson

Barrett Hamill Cahill

Heffernan R Maher P Maher

B Maher Breen

N McGrath McCormack P Maher

ODwyer Callanan J McGrath

We must beat the Blahs.

• Advertisement

Strong team, Waterford missing shanahan, taking the - 1 at 10/11

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

tippspur wrote: »
    We must beat the Blahs.

I think with Seamie back we will take them. He'll create an awful lot of space for other players. Kenny isnt able to do this and i doubt whether he ever will to be honest. Seamie drags his marker everywhere.

Tipp by 2.

SUBS.

Darragh Mooney
    Kieran Bergin
    Andrew Coffey
    Conor Kenny
    Liam McGrath
    Conor O'Brien
    Niall O'Meara
    Daire Quinn
    Adrian Ryan
    Liam Ryan
    Willie Ryan

I hope Brendan Maher goes better in midfield than he did at wing back last day.

I hope Brendan Maher goes better in midfield than he did at wing back last day.

Is he gone too used to the cricket bat? :p To be honest though, he may have underestimated James Maher a bit or perhaps unsually for Brendan he may have been just off form.

Football moved to Sean Treacy park in Tipp town which is a real pity. Was really looking forward to the double header. Does the ticket cover both anyway because i notice that the football is half 12? Would it leave enough time to get to Thurles for the hurling?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Football moved to Sean Treacy park in Tipp town which is a real pity. Was really looking forward to the double header. Does the ticket cover both anyway because i notice that the football is half 12? Would it leave enough time to get to Thurles for the hurling?

Those attending the football will get a voucher for reduced admission to hurling. Same programme for both. Hurling moved back to 3 so people can go to both games.
    A real pity it isn't a proper double header

Football moved to Sean Treacy park in Tipp town which is a real pity. Would it leave enough time to get to Thurles for the hurling?

Loads of time.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Best of luck to cahir intermediate camogie club in the all ireland final today, hon the slash

Tipp lost to Waterford 1-18 to 1-17

• Advertisement

Bad second half from Tipp today,we were ahead in the 69th minute and lost again same as KK game,I don't think this direct hurling works for us at all.
    well done to the Tipp footballers and to the Cahir women.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Incredibly frustrating watching every ball being bombed into the forwards and us not winning any. If we want to do that we should be hitting the ball into space where our skillful lads would have a better chance. Missing Seamie doesn't help but we're crowding in front of goal so much that he'd have no room to operate.
    Bonnar caught a puck out around the 65th minute and i think it was the first and only contested aerial ball the forwards won cleanly all day. Forwards have to do better but the backs need to be more conscious of the ball they're playing in to them

Bad second half from Tipp today,we were ahead in the 69th minute and lost again same as KK game,I don't think this direct hurling works for us at all.
    well done to the Tipp footballers and to the Cahir women.

The ball is like a bar of soap at the moment so it wouldnt make any sense to run with the ball. Goal chances ultimately cost us again but im not going to lose faith just yet. I think when we get our strongest lads back we're a match for anyone.

Bonnar needs to practice his shooting and looking for the whites of the goalies eyes. Even the goal he got in the classic drawn All Ireland final was hit straight at the goalkeeper. He must learn from this. Niall O'Meara missed an absolute sitter late on too.

In fairness to the lads the referee had a mare. Cathal Barrett was fouled just before Waterford got that final free. That said, Bubbles was perhaps fortunate to see just a yellow for the pull in the first half.

The positives, i thought Liam Mcgrath had a decent game. Batted down an awful lot of ball. Done far more then Kenny did the last day. John Mcgrath had an excellent game.

Hamill on the other hand is not working out so well. I mean Paul Curran was dropped for not having the pace for the senior game any more and yet Hamill who has two shipping containers for legs is suddenly being earmarked for the no 3 spot? I dont mean to criticise the lad, he does try his best but he doesn't have the pace if we have to contend with the likes of the Kevin Kelly's, Colin Fennelly's, Shane Bennett's or Colin Dunsford's of this world. I dont think Dan McCormack is jusifying his starting role either. Another point on the ref, he gave Waterford a free for what looked a perfect shoulder in the second half.

Galway in Salthill next week is a huge huge game and a win is needed to save us or its a scrape for the trap door. Don't be fooled by Corks recent form either. They'll raise their game for us. Id like to see John Meagher get a run out and hopefully we'll also be able to call on Callanan, Barry, or Forde next day

Overall, tbh im not overly concerned because were only losing slightly. If we were getting hammered then id worry. 2014 was a bleaker outlook in terms of the league campaign and we only avoided a relegation final due to a miscalculation from the Dublin forward who didnt realise that anything less then a 3 point win on the day for Tipp would save them. if it comes down to it, division 1b wouldnt be a huge disaster either. Waterford won the league in division 1b last year. We have a decent flow of players coming through. We'll be there at the business end of the season. Its always a dangerous thing to write us off because thats when we do our best hurling.

Best of luck to cahir intermediate camogie club in the all ireland final today, hon the slash

Superb achievement. Well done Cahir.

Good win for the footballers too. Hopefully a win against Longford next day out and keep the promotion push going. Hon the Premier!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Was only the first game of the year for me yesterday and I was disappointed. Credit to Waterford they dominated the final ten minutes. Their hard charging for the goal epitomised their approach in the last few minutes. Gleeson's huge score was magnificent.

A lot of very wasteful hurling. I'm not a fan whatsoever of the long ball/direct approach but I will be patient to give Ryan a chance. Yesterday it didn't 'feel' like it was working, too many times it was bombed in and Waterford came back out with it. Too much goal mouth action and too clustered for anything to work. There's no substance in it; which is wasteful when you work hard to get it and then its given away. It happened a lot, was hard to watch.

The passage of play between Gleeson to Breen and Breen then moved across the field to point was marvellous. Worth the price of admission alone. Other positives were the intensity, lots of pressure, hard defending, hooking, blocking. I was impressed. Bubbles was effective as was J. McGrath. N. McGrath did a lot of work and in between MF and HF he does well. Maher and Breen can be an industrious duo.

IMO, the overhead pull is dangerous, lacks skill/finesse and I think should be penalised more. There were some wild senseless pulls yesterday that had me cringing if they connected. A helmet wouldn't stop some of that.

Ref wasn't great. The game had no flow for some of the halves. Too much stopping and starting.

Finally, had three lads sitting behind me and they were a bit much at times with the roaring and shouting. We all get worked up but I'd have a hard time bringing little ones to a game with the abuse flying, I'm no angel but I try keep it down. What was frustrating (as a hurling fanatic myself) was that they probably hadn't hurled a day in their lives and all their answers were the right ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

What's peoples feelings on our best half back line and midfield?

I think i'd go with Barry, B. Maher and P. Maher along the half back line with Breen and Bergin midfield.

Not sure if this is our best half back line as we have a number of people with a shot at starting. We have lots of wing backs but we seem to struggle to convert one into a centre back, Brendan is the best available i think. Pauric isn't dominating the way we know he can but hard to imagine he won't come good later in the season. James Barry is ultra reliable and also a good distributor of the ball which is something we need back there. Barry's availability hinges on what happens at full back, Hamill hasn't done too much wrong but i'm still not convinced he's the answer there.

I thought Breen has looked good at centre field despite giving away a few scoreable frees. I think it's a position he's still learning and needs a few more games to fully grasp it. He's got great size and presence about him.
    Bergin always impresses me at midfield, he links very well with the forwards and makes a lot of good supporting runs too.

Barry has to be FB for the championship.he's the best we have.

Bergin,Paudie,Ronan,HB line.Brendan and Breen in the middle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

I would like Breen to be tested much more at midfield. He drove me crazy with some wides but he looks good in the air, can point and is aggressive.

Poor Brendan Maher musn't know what to do with himself: played at half back, midfield and half forward over the last few years. Musical chairs of positions. Staying in one spot would do wonders for him.

Advertisement