Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst Concert Experience

• 15-10-2015 10:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭

what was the worst concert experience that has ever happend to you ???

us irish love a good bandwagon so at many concerts here people will go just to say they were there and pay big money to get pissed and cause trouble.

I was one show at the 3arena a few years ago and could not hear a thing becasue a group of lads in front of me decided to have a shouting contest and talk over the band.

When an acoustic song is performed why do people think its ok to start chatting.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

PTH2009 wrote: »
    what was the worst concert experience that has ever happend to you ???

us irish love a good bandwagon so at many concerts here people will go just to say they were there and pay big money to get pissed and cause trouble.

I was one show at the 3arena a few years ago and could not hear a thing becasue a group of lads in front of me decided to have a shouting contest and talk over the band.

When an acoustic song is performed why do people think its ok to start chatting.

If you could hear them chatting, the sound quality must have been ****e.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Santigold in one of the tents a few years ago at Electric Picnic, felt the back of my leg getting warm. Some prick decided to whip it out and piss right there and then. Gave him a shove and his mates came running over and took him out, one apologising saying he always does it.

It was the last night and my jeans and boots were thrown in the bin as soon as I got back to my camper van.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Eric Clapton, Malahide, 2008 (?).

He usually says nothing, fair enough, but the sound was crap, then fell out altogether, pissed rain as well.

Loads of middle aged solicitor types around trying to headbang, fair enough, they paid tp get in so they can headbang away.

Then I lit one up, one of these solicitor types asks me for a drag, I gave it to him and the cnut wouldn't give it back but passed it around his gobshyte mates.

Bollix of a night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Someone took a photo of me in Slane.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Santigold in one of the tents a few years ago at Electric Picnic, felt the back of my leg getting warm. Some prick decided to whip it out and piss right there and then. Gave him a shove and his mates came running over and took him out, one apologising saying he always does it.

It was the last night and my jeans and boots were thrown in the bin as soon as I got back to my camper van.

It wasn't Santigolds most famous fan obviously...

http://youtu.be/GA8z7f7a2Pk

Worst concert experience? U2, Zooropa, 1992 or 93 in Cork. 'Twas grand actually, just I've preferred all the other ones I've gone to!

Solus, a dance music festival in Carlow in about 08, that was a complete washout, floods everywhere, knee deep in mud, spent day drinking vodka in an empty tent and splashing around.

• Advertisement

Red Kev wrote: »
    Then I lit one up, one of these solicitor types asks me for a drag, I gave it to him and the cnut wouldn't give it back but passed it around his gonshyte mates.

Bollix of a night.

In fairness, that must be incredibly annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It wasn't Santigolds most famous fan obviously...

I don't think he even knew where he was, never mind who he was watching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Neil Young in the RDS last year. The sound was absolutely atrocious amongst other things. Aiken blamed the wind.
    I seen McCartney in the RDS aswell and again crap sound.
    It is a terrible venue, not suited to concerts. The sound can't be over a certain volume due to the residents I heard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

boyzone....

I am not a girl :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Someone took a photo of me in Slane.
    are you a girl:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭seamusk84

Solus, a dance music festival in Carlow in about 08, that was a complete washout, floods everywhere, knee deep in mud, spent day drinking vodka in an empty tent and splashing around.[/quote]

That actually sounds like a great day to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Benteke

Went to U2 gig back in the day, i won't do that again in a hurry you go to concerts to listen to music not to be preached too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Every one since the busy bodies insisted on a limit on decibels at concerts...so basically since the early 00s. These days you can hear idiots nattering to their gob****e friends instead of like the good aul days when your ear drums were blasted.

I remember seeing Blur in 97 in The Point Depot...unreal, so loud and immersive. Saw them again in 2013...meh. And on top of hearing the act mixed with fools blabbering you have to put up with people holding their phones in the air taking poor quality photos/videos.

Concerts used to be a mess of smoke, booze, dancing, messing around...they are so sanitized now. The 3 arena is a very dull place compared to The Point.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭MLC_biker

Bob Dylan at the O2 ,never spoke to the audience or introduced the band. Talked rather than sang the songs. First concert I was ever tempted to walk out of...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭Kenny Bania

are you a girl:pac:

That was the joke. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

REM in Marley Park, can't remember the year but it was years ago.

They were over an hour late, only played for about 40 minutes and then getting out of the place was a nightmare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Prince in Croke Park

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

That was the joke.
    Never..
    Well done.
    I thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

No major disappointments.

Midlake at the Marquee a few years back. So, one of their best songs is called "Head Home". This fücking sub human cretin spent the entire gig shouting "head home" to the band, all while pretty much ignoring every other song in the set. Unfortunately that song was saved till last.

On reflection, I should have just moved.

This year's Electric Picnic. The week leading up to the festival was an extremely shít week for me on a personal level, and I knew deep down that I wasn't in the right frame of mind, but I told myself I had to at least try. "Sure you'll be grand when you get there, it would be a waste to not go" I told myself. I had my loyalty ticket bought months in advance, and yet couldn't find a single friend to go with in that space of time. I told myself being alone wouldn't be that big of a deal (I go to gigs on my own quite often) but in a festival environment, surrounded by so many groups of people laughing and joking and drinking, and already being in a pretty bad place it just proved too much. I arrived on the Friday evening, packed up and left again on the Saturday morning. Huge waste of time and money, and a crushing feeling of disappointment and failure. In previous years Electric Picnic was one of my favourite places in the whole world; now I'm not sure if I could ever face going back again. :(

The only redeeming part of the whole mess was that I got to see Grace Jones, and enjoyed her set despite my foul mood. Would have been an even more terrible experience if I left without having seen a single act!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Killers in Marlay Park a few years back.

Bloc Party supported. Class. Killers turned in a good performance too.

But I'd put my faith in Dublin Bus to get me home and it was a f**king shambles. The queuing lasted longer than the music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

This year's Electric Picnic. The week leading up to the festival was an extremely shít week for me on a personal level, and I knew deep down that I wasn't in the right frame of mind, but I told myself I had to at least try. "Sure you'll be grand when you get there, it would be a waste to not go" I told myself. I had my loyalty ticket bought months in advance, and yet couldn't find a single friend to go with in that space of time. I told myself being alone wouldn't be that big of a deal (I go to gigs on my own quite often) but in a festival environment, surrounded by so many groups of people laughing and joking and drinking, and already being in a pretty bad place it just proved too much. I arrived on the Friday evening, packed up and left again on the Saturday morning. Huge waste of time and money, and a crushing feeling of disappointment and failure. In previous years Electric Picnic was one of my favourite places in the whole world; now I'm not sure if I could ever face going back again. :(

The only redeeming part of the whole mess was that I got to see Grace Jones, and enjoyed her set despite my foul mood. Would have been an even more terrible experience if I left without having seen a single act!

Why didn't you put something up in boards before you went, there was bound to be people on here that shared a similar music interest that you could hung around with at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

I was gonna say it was the time I threw up at Biffy Clyro and had to sit under a table at the back, but then I remembered the Pukkelpop Disaster was technically a concert so, yeah, that'd be it. Most terrifying day of my life, haven't been to any festivals since.

But in terms of actual concerts and bands being terrible...the time I got tickets to Sum 41 for the nostalgia factor and they ended up dropping off the bill and being replaced by The Blackout. Awful show, should've sold my tickets to teenage emos instead :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

KungPao wrote: »
    Every one since the busy bodies insisted on a limit on decibels at concerts...so basically since the early 00s. These days you can hear idiots nattering to their gob****e friends instead of like the good aul days when your ear drums were blasted.

I remember seeing Blur in 97 in The Point Depot...unreal, so loud and immersive. Saw them again in 2013...meh. And on top of hearing the act mixed with fools blabbering you have to put up with people holding their phones in the air taking poor quality photos/videos.

Concerts used to be a mess of smoke, booze, dancing, messing around...they are so sanitized now. The 3 arena is a very dull place compared to The Point.
    You're just going deaf in your old age :)

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Was this thread not done already just recently? "Worst gig you've ever been at" or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Toots wrote: »
    Was this thread not done already just recently? "Worst gig you've ever been at" or something?

If u can find it put them together

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

I went to see One Direction in Croke Park (not the bad part). Some little cow behind me decided to punch me in the back over and over because I'm tall. All she had to do was ask if she could stand in front of me but instead she thought she'd force me out of the way. Ruined the whole thing on me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Should have punched her back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

MLC_biker wrote: »
    Bob Dylan at the O2 ,never spoke to the audience or introduced the band. Talked rather than sang the songs. First concert I was ever tempted to walk out of...

If this was around 08-09 I walked out of this very concert. It was a shambles.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

PTH2009 wrote: »
    If u can find it put them together

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=96028638

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Nodster

Then I lit one up, one of these solicitor types asks me for a drag, I gave it to him and the cnut wouldn't give it back but passed it around his gobshyte mates.

Bollix of a night.

....happened me @ Carnsore '80, bustards the lot of them :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Hannibal wrote: »
    Neil Young in the RDS last year. The sound was absolutely atrocious amongst other things. Aiken blamed the wind.
    I seen McCartney in the RDS aswell and again crap sound.
    It is a terrible venue, not suited to concerts. The sound can't be over a certain volume due to the residents I heard.

That was my worst gig too. Terrible set up, terrible venue and a very disinterested Mr Young.

Someone dragged me along to see Right Said Fred in that place on the south circular....that was terrible too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

I have probably posted this before, but Macy Gray in the point many moons agao…an utter joke. So late coming on she would have had to work hard to swing the crowd onside. Instead, the band came on and did an intro that went on forever, then she was eventually walked on and placed in front of the mic. Dreadful stuff!

The one and only time I saw Oasis they were terrible…not talking to each other, bored looking. Supergrass saved the day as their support act.

Ocean Colour Scene and The Stranglers both at Electric Picnic over the last few years. Both unashamedly going through the motions. Didn't bother me with OCS, but a lack lustre version of Golden Brown after waiting all these years to hear it live was extremely annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Went to see U2 in 1997 or 98 in Brisbane, was in Oz on a one year visa.

Was pretty chuffed to get to see U2 outside Ireland.

It was the worst gig I was ever at and it was nothing to do with U2 but the Aussie crowd.

Firstly, it was in a stadium and they had seats on the pitch.

When U2 came out and finished their first song Bono said "Seats on the pitch. this is supposed to be a rock concert?"

Then as U2 played on, the crowd were barely reacting at all and just stayed in their seats.
    Myself and friends (2 Irish 2 Aussies) were in the stands trying to have a good time and when the hits ramped up we got out of our seats and sang along and danced, and a woman behind me asked us to be quiet and sit down. I said this wasn't a Pavorotti concert. I couldn't believe it.

The rest of the gig was the same, and U2 played their last song and said good night, and the lights came on and people just left and I was there going 'hang on, they'll be back for at least one encore".

I was wrong, that was it, I left with an empty feeling and I think the U2 lads did too as I don't think they enjoyed it either, very strange experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

MLC_biker wrote: »

I was at that concert, I'd seen Dylan a few times, I always intended this to be the last time. Yes he gets worse with age, but that one in the Point was terrible. I read the reviews on here, most of the connoisseurs were saying 'You just don't understand Bob'. But a colleague of mine has seen Dylan 30-40 times and he also said that was a stand out sh!te concert.

His age was also blamed, but I saw Willie Nelson in the Point around the same time and he tore the fcuking house down. Total legend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭laserlad2010

I was at that concert, I'd seen Dylan a few times, I always intended this to be the last time. Yes he gets worse with age, but that one in the Point was terrible. I read the reviews on here, most of the connoisseurs were saying 'You just don't understand Bob'. But a colleague of mine has seen Dylan 30-40 times and he also said that was a stand out sh!te concert.

His age was also blamed, but I saw Willie Nelson in the Point around the same time and he tore the fcuking house down. Total legend.

I remember seeing him a little earlier than 08 or 09, if I'm not mistaken? Was it around 03? Anyway it was in the Point as well, I'd grown up burning holes through his acoustic CDs and liked his electric stuff a bit but not as much.

I was so disappointed I almost cried. In fairness I was only 15 or so at the time and it was ludicrous to think that 1960's Dylan was going to waltz out and serenade the crowd, but it really hammers home the "never meet your heroes" line.

Another crap gig was Counting Crows in Kilmainham during the summer. The lead singer was a complete a**ehole.

He sang the old stuff off-tempo so the crowd couldn't sing along (like deliberately skipping a few beats, changing the words) and then banged out their sh*te new stuff right on time.

I accept that it's his music and he can do what he likes but still, play to the crowd in fairness. He also took breaks to sit down and overall really pissed the crowd off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

Saw Paul McCartney in Tokyo in April this year. It was awful. McCartney was great but the crowd just sat there like they were at the cinema and some asshole started trouble cause my OH and I were singing along and having a good time.

I can't imagine what that experience must be like for a musician, absolutely no life in the crowd.

Worst Irish experience was at a Red Hot Chili Peppers concert in the O2. There were these young lads about 18 or so I would say and one of them grabbed my bum and turned around and shoved him. Then about 5 minutes later he tried to grab my boob. I decked him and then his friends started calling me names because they knew if they tried to touch me they would have gotten some of what he did. I moved away from them and they followed me. That continued until they finally stopped. It was the first time something like that had every happened me at a concert and I've been to plenty. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Stranger Danger

The Electric Picnic.

Probably in 2004-ish.

Left our house in Dublin that morning all excited to get to the festival. We were getting the bus down so headed to the Custom House where the buses were leaving from.

First off, the 'organisation' from Bus Eireann was absolutely pathetic. There appeared to be one guy with a reflective jacket and hoards of people. The busses would arrive one by one at the quays and there was complete anarchy to get on the first few ones. Eventually people managed to sort themselves into some sort of quasi-queue. The busses would arrive up, one by one with long gaps between them and the queue moved at an absolutes snail's pace.

It was over 2 hours before we even got on a bus and then the nightmare continued. Traffic was a joke. This was before the motorway network was built so the traffic along the N7 was absolutely crawling along. The bus was full of young wans getting pissed on cans and alcopops. Every 10 minutes the bus would need to stop for someone to get off and take a piss. There was also a traffic accident coming into the festival and the bus was stuck for about an hour. Some people actually got off and started walking even though we were still some miles away from the venue - I was temped to join them.

We arrived at the festival 7 hours after leaving our house in Dublin, totally frazzled. It was a fcuking lovely day as well and we met up with friends who had driven down who were so chilled out and saying how lovely the day had been. I really just wanted a drink, but of course this being Ireland, that involved a another 40minute queue for the dubious honour of paying €6 for a pint of piss.

At this stage I just wanted to get on a bus and go back home.

I hung around for the rest of the day but my heart wasn't in it. Then I had to repeat the nightmare in reverse when getting the bus back to Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

This year's Electric Picnic was the worst EP for me (I've been to all of them), but I still enjoyed it. I went on my own too, but not for the first time. Friends have been doing silly stuff like getting married and having kids, and letting it interfere with having fun. What's that all about?!?

I'm not the most outgoing of people but still managed to talk to loads of people there, even though...it was my first festival without having any alcohol!! :eek: That, with the fact I was alone, should have made it terrible but it was still alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Another crap gig was Counting Crows in Kilmainham during the summer. The lead singer was a complete a**ehole.

He sang the old stuff off-tempo so the crowd couldn't sing along (like deliberately skipping a few beats, changing the words) and then banged out their sh*te new stuff right on time.

I accept that it's his music and he can do what he likes but still, play to the crowd in fairness. He also took breaks to sit down and overall really pissed the crowd off.

I was going to say the same thing about the Counting Crows. My experience was a Counting Crows gig 2008 in the Ambassador in Dublin. Exact same thing, old stuff played in weird style. Used to like them but don't listen to them anymore, turned me right off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭stanley1

Peter Green in Abbey st, rotten venue and Peter was well gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

The Electric Picnic.

Probably in 2004-ish.
    Oh yeah, I forgot about the first Electric Picnic. I tend not to put it with the rest because it was a one-day affair and the worst organised thing I ever went to. Queues a mile long and thousands of free editions of Hot Press strewn about the place...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Neil Young & Crazy Horse at the RDS in 2013, for a group that cares so much about the sound that venue is such a let down. What made it worse though was a large chunk of the crowd didn't seem to realise that a Neil Young & Crazy Horse gig is NOT a Neil Young gig. They are self-indulgent at the best of times which produces some amazing music, but the people who came thinking they'd hear Rockin' in the Free World and a few tracks off of Harvest lost interest. I was really hoping they'd play Walk like a Giant, which they did, but between the low sound, and the morons standing beside me explaining his entire gym workout routine to his date, I really couldn't enjoy it.

Cortez the Killer at the end was amazing though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

REM in The Point for the green world tour (91 or 92?) totally going through the motions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Manic Street Preachers - Smithfield 2001. Soft sounding gutless cabaret compared to the energy they displayed in the Point 2 years earlier. I left early.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Tanita Tikarim at the National Stadium. Sang her album and left. Rubbish gig, lucky I had free tickets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Cannibal Corpse in The Mean Fiddler sometime around 97 or so, great gig, most violent moshpit ever, when the alcohol wore off I had a broken nose, jaw and thumb. I'm certain I inflicted plenty more so it's all good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

The Stone Roses in the Phoenix Park a few years ago. The ground was churned up and boggy with lads openly pissing all over the place. Then some people decided it would be a good idea to wrestle in the pissy mud and throw it around the place.

Bob Dylan in Galway in 2004, I think. It lashed rain and was freezing, sound was woeful. Dylan never said a word to the crowd. I couldn't wait to get out of there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Muse at Dublin Castle, May 2002. The band was very good, but it was a daytime gig, and so not as atmospheric as e.g. The Point in 2009. That wasn't the problem, however: I was at the front of the second section back, and some guys tried to turn it in to a moshpit. (Never mind that Muse is not a Metal band, and their music sounds better if you actively listen to it.) I got walloped several times, and had girls using me a human shield, unable to get out of the section due to the crowding.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Valentina wrote: »
    The Stone Roses in the Phoenix Park a few years ago. The ground was churned up and boggy with lads openly pissing all over the place. Then some people decided it would be a good idea to wrestle in the pissy mud and throw it around the place.

Bob Dylan in Galway in 2004, I think. It lashed rain and was freezing, sound was woeful. Dylan never said a word to the crowd. I couldn't wait to get out of there.

Were the band themselves any good, how about Brown's voice?

• Advertisement
Advertisement