Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quick Advice Needed - apostrophe!

• 16-10-2015 8:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm filling in a job application follow up email.
    I think I've correctly added the apostrophe to "it's" as the recommendations belong to the application - therefore it is should be it's and not its. Is this correct - I need to get this sent off and I've noone to ask here to double check.
    If it has been rejected I would greatly appreciate feedback on my application and/or any recommendations you may have for it's improvement.

Thanks!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

"It's" is a contraction of "it is". "Its" is possessive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

No apostrophe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Arghhh!!!!

Thanks folks - I really appreciate the quick replies.

I thought there was an additional time when you used the apostrophe apart from when shortening "it is". :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Google define its for links to online dictionary definitions. Same for any word.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 TheGlitchKing

it's = it is
    its = possessive - aka "its hand"

Often if you want to sound more professional you should write "it is" or "it has", typically saying "it's" on a formal document looks unprofessional.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Arghhh!!!!

Thanks folks - I really appreciate the quick replies.

I thought there was an additional time when you used the apostrophe apart from when shortening "it is". :confused:

You can also use it for a contraction of "it has". But it will be clear from the context.

"It's all gone to pot."

Advertisement