Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bonfire stock piles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

http://m.rte.ie/news/2015/1016/735197-bonfire/

Report it before it becomes an issue

Why would you report it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

jeffk wrote: »
    Why would you report it?

Perhaps, if its right beside your home!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,806 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Why would you report it?

Not wanting to breath in tyre fumes and encourage scrotes to continue with anti-social behaviour, perhaps.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Not wanting people to get seriously injured or killed would probably be the best reason. Bonfires can collapse, and if that happens they don't even have to be lit to injure or kill someone. There's also the issue of not knowing what's actually in the bonfire. If something explosive is inadvertently buried in the pile the consequences could be appalling. Plus there's also the fact that they're bloody stupid, pointless things. I could never see the attraction for standing around with a bunch of other people watching a big pile of crap burn. It loses its novelty value pretty quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Why would you report it?

Why wouldn't you? Although maybe we could do with more of those speed vans on the M/N3 you have a thing for and use that money to pay for all the damage they do to public property and to fund the clean up costs. You'll be OK with that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Yeah Don't know how we managed to survive before people could report every little thing to one agency or another. Perhaps supervising and advising kids where and how to build their bonfires safely would be a better approach.

Seems everyone didn’t have a childhood and went straight to responsible adulthood.

I had them as a child and went collecting and then all the different fires, people loved you knocking as they got rid of old furniture etc. Nobody I know got killed or injured at them.

Now there was people doing stupid things (like throwing aerosol cans into them), but one muppet doesn’t reflect on everyone.

The council never managed to stop them, so why don’t they set up one on a designated area away from house, grass etc that will cause minimal damage. This will eventually stop most people lighting them.

Seems everyone didn’t have a childhood and went straight to responsible adulthood.

I had them as a child and went collecting and then all the different fires, people loved you knocking as they got rid of old furniture etc. Nobody I know got killed or injured at them.

Now there was people doing stupid things (like throwing aerosol cans into them), but one muppet doesn’t reflect on everyone.

The council never managed to stop them, so why don’t they set up one on a designated area away from house, grass etc that will cause minimal damage. This will eventually stop most people lighting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

The Muppet wrote: »
    Yeah Don't know how we managed to survive before people could report every little thing to one agency or another. Perhaps supervising and advising kids where and how to build their bonfires safely would be a better approach.

Good luck with that,, last year it took weeks for our local pitch to be cleared of debris, its a pitch used by football and gaa teams and it was destroyed. I'm not a kill joy, I don't object to organised fires in safe and suitable places but most kids are not going to care where they put their fires. It looks disgusting to see adults too bringing bags of rubbish, old chairs and beds and other crap on them.

eviltwin wrote: »
    Good luck with that,, last year it took weeks for our local pitch to be cleared of debris, its a pitch used by football and gaa teams and it was destroyed. I'm not a kill joy, I don't object to organised fires in safe and suitable places but most kids are not going to care where they put their fires. It looks disgusting to see adults too bringing bags of rubbish, old chairs and beds and other crap on them.

Wrecking a pitch for any sport isn't right, that's just using the occasion as an excuse for vandalism

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

eviltwin wrote: »

Each to their own , I just would not be into reporting Kids building bonfires when I did it myself as a child as I imagine most adults have.

Did anyone offer the kids an alternative safe and appropriate location to build their bonfire when they saw it being built?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

There isn't really any area here that would be safe, everywhere is residential, parkland or its private property. I've told the parents of the one kids I know and was told to F off so that is the mentality.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

OK folks, let's not make this personal by getting in digs at one another. I'm on strong painkillers and as a result I'm just as liable to ban someone by mistake as I am to issue a card. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

There's no exemption here is there ? If I light a bonfire in the garden I can be done, I'm presuming the same is for unorganised bonfires

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

We had massive ones all over the place. Doesn't make it right.

Council organised ones I've no issues with, but have a problem with them appearing and wrecking every spare bit of green going.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I don't see the phone number to report bonfires on Fingal's web site but there is a page mentioning the impact of bonfires.
    When we make staff available to clean up after bonfires and reinstate open spaces, they can’t carry out normal maintenance duties.

Advertisement