Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Flip Up helmet

• 16-10-2015 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

I am considering buying a flip up helmet as a second helmet to my Arai. I'm not planning on spending huge money maybe 250 Euro max. I see the LS2 for approx 110, anyone got one and are they any good. I was also looking at the AGV compact or numo for about 230 Euro delivered. Any thoughts on either or other advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,087 ✭✭✭✭listermint

hondavfr wrote: »
    I am considering buying a flip up helmet as a second helmet to my Arai. I'm not planning on spending huge money maybe 250 Euro max. I see the LS2 for approx 110, anyone got one and are they any good. I was also looking at the AGV compact or numo for about 230 Euro delivered. Any thoughts on either or other advice?

Got a loan of an LS2 recently. Having never used a flip up before i found it very functional. Tricky to get used to the under chin latch for flip.

The sunshade was easy worked as expected. Noise wise i can only compare it to my Shoe QWest full face and it was noiser than that but that is 4 times the price. So i could not take away points for that.

Comfort wise it was a fine fit i had a medium on. Its relatively light.

My only gripe i suppose was the chin strap i felt it was too close to my juggular if that makes sense. But its a ratchet type and im used to D Ring Loop. So perhaps this might be the norm.

If it had Ring Loop it may have been more comfortable.

Overall for the Price i thought it was very good value and i couldnt really fault it bar the strap fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I have the Shark Evoline 3, very good lid, toured all over Europe last year and it was great. The newer model is out now so should be able to pick it up at a bargain price now me thinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,087 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    I have the Shark Evoline 3, very good lid, toured all over Europe last year and it was great. The newer model is out now so should be able to pick it up at a bargain price now me thinks.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shark-Evoline-Series-3-Matt-Black-Medium-/121774576755?hash=item1c5a549473:g:h~sAAOSwNgxWDAp7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Nolan do a few good ones too for your budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭SeamusG97

Grex are last year's Nolan style rebadged. Same helmet and a fair bit cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

I use the caberg duke and find it great. Although I would defo consider the evoline as you can ride with the chin bar raised at any speed without getting drag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

I have safety concerns re the lid flipping up in an accident. I used to use a shark flip up and it was pure muck. Shoei full face here.

duskyjoe wrote: »
    I have safety concerns re the lid flipping up in an accident. I used to use a shark flip up and it was pure muck. Shoei full face here.

Which Shark make and model was MUCK?

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Which Shark make and model was MUCK?

Wonda...... I know Sharks are good helmets but the flip up model I have which is stowed away somewhere (a) I thought if I have a wallop the flip down will come away as I thought it was flimsy and (b) the helmet is heavy. Compared to a shoei we are in a parallel universe.....also the wind noise in the Shark was extreme , granted I'm high up on a gs and am bolt up right so subject to all the elements. The one thing the Shark had I liked and shoei r now doing it is the flip down sun visor.

It's just my opinion Wonda , nothing personal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

listermint wrote: »

Have one of those myself. Solid on locking etc and light enough in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Wonda...... I know Sharks are good helmets but the flip up model I have which is stowed away somewhere (a) I thought if I have a wallop the flip down will come away as I thought it was flimsy and (b) the helmet is heavy. Compared to a shoei we are in a parallel universe.....also the wind noise in the Shark was extreme , granted I'm high up on a gs and am bolt up right so subject to all the elements. The one thing the Shark had I liked and shoei r now doing it is the flip down sun visor.

Considering it is Type Approved and crash tested to comply with standards, you'll forgive me if I take that as a more objective opinion....

Was it a Shark Evoline or Openline ?

You do realise that Shoei make a flip front now too?

You can get a new Evoline series 1 fur €150 at fc-moto.de now. Ironically, it has a higher Sharp rating over the new one. ..
    http://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.mobile/?Currency=GBP&Locale=en_GB&ObjectPath=/Shops/10207048/Products/Shark-Evoline-Fusion-Matt/SubProducts/Shark-Evoline-Fusion-Matt-0001&ViewAction=ViewProductViaPortal&ul_ref=http%3A%2F%2Frover.ebay.com%2Frover%2F13%2F0%2F19%2FDealFrame%2FDealFrame.cmp%3Fbm%3D626%26BEFID%3D96424%26aon%3D%255E%26MerchantID%3D490613%26crawler_id%3D490613%26dealId%3Di1GhhcaN1q7NUcWCRgyNmA%253D%253D%26url%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.fc-moto.de%252Fepages%252Ffcm.sf%252F%253FCurrency%253DGBP%2526Locale%253Den_GB%2526ObjectPath%253D%252FShops%252F10207048%252FProducts%252FShark-Evoline-Fusion-Matt%252FSubProducts%252FShark-Evoline-Fusion-Matt-0001%2526ViewAction%253DViewProductViaPortal%26linkin_id%3D8094598%26Issdt%3D151017100939%26searchID%3Dp11.03da277cfe4c2edfcbd5%26DealName%3DShark%2BEvoline%2BMatt%2B2011%26dlprc%3D111.23%26AR%3D3%26NG%3D1%26NDP%3D10%26PN%3D1%26ST%3D7%26FPT%3DDSP%26NDS%3D%26NMS%3D%26MRS%3D%26PD%3D%26brnId%3D14623%26IsFtr%3D0%26IsSmart%3D0%26op%3D580774%26CM%3D%26RR%3D3%26IsLps%3D0%26code%3D%26acode%3D608%26category%3D%26HasLink%3D%26ND%3D%26MN%3D%26GR%3D%26lnkId%3D%26SKU%3DShark-Evoline-Fusion-Matt-0001%26_trkparms%3Dclkid%253D532051523235428003%26srcrot%3D0%26rvr_id%3D913202523391

Caberg one and X-Lite also good value atmo.

Only the X-Lite and Evoline are approved to be used either open or closed.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭hondavfr

Thanks to all for your advice, I like the shark ,fc moto have a huge selection so should get something decent there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I always had full faced helmets but really, I just decided that if you're going to have an accident bad enough to smash up a flip face then you'll just probably be taking what you get anyway. I was living in a hot country when I bought the GIVI flip face I have now so it made way too much sense for me not to get one. I'm happy to take my chances as I just love the convenience.

Flip face helmets are noticeably noisier and a little heavier IME but I've not had experience of the top makes. That's the only fault I find with mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,362 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Wonda...... I know Sharks are good helmets but the flip up model I have which is stowed away somewhere (a) I thought if I have a wallop the flip down will come away as I thought it was flimsy and (b) the helmet is heavy.

If the flip part doesn't stay put in an accident you'll get no protection from it - you'd be better off in an open face lid as it's much lighter.

If the flip part DOES stay put in an accident, you'll still be better off in a full face helmet because it's lighter.

They also cost a good bit more.

There's no doubt a full face lid is safer - stronger and lighter, and weight is very important to reduce the forces on the neck in an accident. It's as important to protect your spine as your skull. Flip-up lids are up to 50% heavier.

Yes flip lids are very convenient, but if you value convenience above safety then what's the point of safety gear at all - apart from a barely-legal lid you need wear only a pair of jocks :)

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

I have the Caberg Duke, very functional and I was impressed at how good the fit is, it has a pinlock visor too and feels good at speed and I only ever wore arai helmets before hence the reason I was impressed with this one.
    If you have any concerns about the safety of a helmet then check out this site >>> http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/
    Pick the make/model of helmet and see how it tested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭ratracer

mamax wrote: »
    I have the Caberg Duke, very functional and I was impressed at how good the fit is, it has a pinlock visor too and feels good at speed and I only ever wore arai helmets before hence the reason I was impressed with this one.
    If you have any concerns about the safety of a helmet then check out this site >>> http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/
    Pick the make/model of helmet and see how it tested

Thanks for linking this site, I hadn't seen it before. I use a Shoei Multitech and quite like it. It's a bit loud but comfortable and doesn't feel too heavy on. The flip mechanism is a simple one handed operation, there is no internal sun visor on it though.
    I'm a bit surprised at how low the lateral protection scores on the site, perhaps this is similar with all flip helmets? I'll spend more time investigating other makes later!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭DJDylan106

I have the LS2 Flip front in question, have had it now for a few months, very functional as mentioned already. Ventilation is very good and when closed, wind noise is a bit of a nuisance at anything over 80 kph but I've worn high end helmets that were worse!
    The helmet is pinlock ready, although the pinlock isn't included, I bought one with mine for an extra €25 and I couldn't recommend it more.
    The flip front is quite easy to get used to and the helmet is quite light compared to some other flip fronts.
    The drop down tinted visor is a very good feature, dims sunlight well enough that direct low sun won't bother you at all yet it's not too dark that it will hinder your ability to see oil/ water on the road.
    All in all I find it a superb helmet, has a SHARP rating equivalent to some high end Shoei's and Arai's so as for safety, I don't think you can really go too wrong for a percentage of the price of a high end brand. Mine cost me €125 including a pinlock visor, bought it from bikergear.ie in Longford.

One of the best bunch of euro's I've ever spent in my opinion. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Flip-up lids are up to 50% heavier.

My Evoline 3 is 1750 grams and the difference between it and other full faced shark models (and other brands on the market) is roughly between 200 and 300 grams.

Wasnt having a pop just curious, you are of course entitled to your opinion and I respect that.

In fairness shoei helmets would not be on par with the sharks so it like comparing apples to oranges, the price would easily reflect that that are a step up in every department, race R pro series being the only helmet would comparing maybe.

Most if not all flip up helmets are far more noisey then full face lids because of the open construction and gaps when closed. Really not alot you can do about it.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

If the flip part doesn't stay put in an accident you'll get no protection from it - you'd be better off in an open face lid as it's much lighter.

If the flip part DOES stay put in an accident, you'll still be better off in a full face helmet because it's lighter.

They also cost a good bit more.

There's no doubt a full face lid is safer - stronger and lighter, and weight is very important to reduce the forces on the neck in an accident. It's as important to protect your spine as your skull. Flip-up lids are up to 50% heavier.

Yes flip lids are very convenient, but if you value convenience above safety then what's the point of safety gear at all - apart from a barely-legal lid you need wear only a pair of jocks :)

Sorry, but the above is just subjective opinion, there's no facts to back any of that up.

An open face is 'better' because it's 'much lighter' ? Why ? Where ? What type of accident ? What type and location of impact ?

And you're completely wrong about the weight of flip-up helmets. You can get a flip up down to about 1550g, which is nigh-on the same of all bar the most expensive (e.g. Carbon) fixed helmets.

Your assertion that 'full face' is better is equally misleading - especially since you're wrong about the issue of weight.

The most important thing about any helmet is fit. The "best" helmet is the one that is of a proven standard, and most importantly fits you properly.

Even the 'lightest' :rolleyes: helmet isn't worth a flyin' F if it's not fitted properly. And the same goes for the price - it is no indication of performance.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Without any research I'd imagine a lid made in 2 parts isn't as safe. But it's massively more convienient. Lots of things on bikes have a safer alternative. Wearing proper one piece leathers with a back hump rather than 2 piece cordura or jacket and jeans, boots, quality of gear, not driving a sports bike, not going out in the wet, staying off bendy roads, taking the car when you can. You have the draw the line and understand that people do it in different ways. Personally I go out regularly in a jacket and normal jeans. Most people wouldn't batter an eyelid, but ATGATT lads would shít their pants. When I had a bike with a screen I'd drive with the flip up open. Not as safe as the alternatives, I know. Some people I know wear no gloves. I wouldn't, but fúck it, it's their choice, and if they're happy to do it, then grand.

Personally I'd take the risk of a flip up because it's so much more convienient for me

chacun à son goût

Everyone to his taste^^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Cienciano wrote: »
    Without any research I'd imagine a lid made in 2 parts isn't as safe. But it's massively more convienient. Lots of things on bikes have a safer alternative. Wearing proper one piece leathers with a back hump rather than 2 piece cordura or jacket and jeans, boots, quality of gear, not driving a sports bike, not going out in the wet, staying off bendy roads, taking the car when you can. You have the draw the line and understand that people do it in different ways. Personally I go out regularly in a jacket and normal jeans. Most people wouldn't batter an eyelid, but ATGATT lads would shít their pants. When I had a bike with a screen I'd drive with the flip up open. Not as safe as the alternatives, I know. Some people I know wear no gloves. I wouldn't, but fúck it, it's their choice, and if they're happy to do it, then grand.

Personally I'd take the risk of a flip up because it's so much more convienient for me

Going OT. Leathers with a hump are dangerous as the hump forms a pivot point which can put huge forces on your neck, which isn't good. Humps are for aerodynamics on a circuit where milli seconds count, on the road they are a liability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,362 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

galwaytt wrote: »
    Sorry, but the above is just subjective opinion, there's no facts to back any of that up.

Bit hypocritical to then post your own subjective opionion, then.
    An open face is 'better' because it's 'much lighter' ? Why ? Where ? What type of accident ? What type and location of impact ?

Read what I posted again. if the opening chin bar doesn't stay in place then you get no protection off it so the helmet is effectively an open face, except a lot heavier than an open face.
    And you're completely wrong about the weight of flip-up helmets. You can get a flip up down to about 1550g, which is nigh-on the same of all bar the most expensive (e.g. Carbon) fixed helmets.

Something has to give. An opening helmet is inherently less strong by design - because it can be opened. A wall is always stronger than a closed door
    Your assertion that 'full face' is better is equally misleading - especially since you're wrong about the issue of weight.

For the same materials and strength it'll always weigh more.
    The most important thing about any helmet is fit. The "best" helmet is the one that is of a proven standard, and most importantly fits you properly.

Nobody is talking about comparing a good-fitting example of one lid with a poor-fitting example of another :rolleyes:

Scrap the cap!

Advertisement