Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soll 2015/16

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 alexd05

hows the weather over in Soll atm? Heading over with about 18 others on Sat from Dublin! Cant wait!!!x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

alexd05 wrote: »
    hows the weather over in Soll atm? Heading over with about 18 others on Sat from Dublin! Cant wait!!!x

It's fabulous! Bit of rain earlier, but this is what greeted me this morning :-)

Agh can't post photo from phone? ! Will try later :)

Agh can't post photo from phone? ! Will try later :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

I'm off to Soll this Saturday. How are the conditions looking? I had a look at the Crystal App this morning and they are saying 4 degrees and Rain.
    Also, does anyone have any good recommendations for full or half day tours of different parts of the Skiwelt. There are some on the Crystal App but only a few start from Soll. Some of our group were talking about skiing to Kitzbuhel but I think it's a long way and involves a bus.
    Was thinking of doing a trip to Scheffau or Ellmau and back.

• Advertisement

I'm off to Soll this Saturday. How are the conditions looking? I had a look at the Crystal App this morning and they are saying 4 degrees and Rain.
    Also, does anyone have any good recommendations for full or half day tours of different parts of the Skiwelt. There are some on the Crystal App but only a few start from Soll. Some of our group were talking about skiing to Kitzbuhel but I think it's a long way and involves a bus.
    Was thinking of doing a trip to Scheffau or Ellmau and back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭d2ww

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭istaunton

Sorry Donie75 only read your post now. We had a nice dump of snow last night and more due today. So arriving on Saturday is perfect timing. As for going to kitz it does involve a short bus journey. First you have to leave soll head for westendorf then key West. And from there its a short bus to kirchberg which is linked. For day tours here you can head all the way to Going and back again. Should take most of a day including a lunch stop. Hope you enjoy your week. Also on the 9th you'll see a lot of fancy dress going on. Should be good craic

• Registered Users Posts: 7 murph157

Hey, bit of a random question, best tips on where to propose in Soll?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dzer2

murph157 wrote: »

Ah now don't do that:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

There is a church and a restaurant at the top of the mountain with 360 degree views (on a good day)

15869705464_51b6e5b0f0.jpgIMG_2945 by rew1979, on Flickr

16304799180_ddc77fbb62.jpgIMG_2859 by rew1979, on Flickr

16492249225_ac3c27cb45.jpgIMG_2726 by rew1979, on Flickr

15872094413_c3ee7023ae.jpgIMG_2843 by rew1979, on Flickr

Those views look class, any idea which lifts and what colour slopes they relate to?

Those views look class, any idea which lifts and what colour slopes they relate to?

You can get all the way up there and back without skiing so if thats an issue.

Out of Soll you take the Bubble (40) up then get out and then the bubble from the mid station (42). That puts you at the top of Hoche Salve, 1829m

You can take the bubbles back down or to ski down from the top its either Blacks or Reds. I have done both, the black is steep but wide as blacks go the red is less steep and wider but still steep, gets really wide later on and is loads of fun at speed.

From the mid station there is a blue run to the ground or just bubble back down.

At the top there is a restaurant/food place and nice deck area as well as a big viewing area.

If I were you id find a local photog to hang out up there to grab the moment etc. Try and arrange it so you and your other half lose any hemets and goggles etc. before you pop the big Q. You could have a gopro on your helmet and leave it recoding when you put it down, just judge your angle right!

AAAGHH WOW, really? I love it!!

Some great suggestions there from Rew- I'd also suggest that you just wait & see where your favourite spot is, there's always somewhere special after a few days! Or do a night-ski, the place is FABULOUS at night-time!

And also, you guys know I'm a wedding Solemniser, right?! I can legally marry people, it's my superpower! Mountain ceremony, Irish legalities, happy days! :-) xxx

This is sunset outside the Oberhausberg, which is the restaurant halfway down the blue family run. Lovely view of the little heart-shaped lake at sunset! (Just make sure you're down on time to get your boots from the garage!! ;-) <3

fannymagee wrote: »
    This is sunset outside the Oberhausberg, which is the restaurant halfway down the blue family run. Lovely view of the little heart-shaped lake at sunset! (Just make sure you're down on time to get your boots from the garage!! ;-) <3

Thats a lovely spot, we called in on our last night and the sunset view is incredible. Id like to go back and try the food.

Thanks for the suggestions folks, I'll keep top of the mountain in mind. For some reason I can't view the Oberhausberg image but will keep an eye out for it. That's cool didnt know you were a wedding solemniser, will keep it at the back of my head for future reference ;)

you mentioned getting down in time to get boots from the garage - do you mean collecting snowboots from storage post skiing? What time are the last gondolas and what time is sunset do you know? Would be interested to know the last time bubble down from top of the mountain. And does the blue family run bring you right into the Soll?

Where's the nicest spot for dinner? We're not into fancy over-the-top fine dining, mainly about having a celebratory bit of craic with great food

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

For some reason I can't view the Oberhausberg image but will keep an eye out for it.

Me too, it just opens a clear.gif file in FF, and it opens attachment.php in Chrome

Thanks for the suggestions folks, I'll keep top of the mountain in mind. For some reason I can't view the Oberhausberg image but will keep an eye out for it. That's cool didnt know you were a wedding solemniser, will keep it at the back of my head for future reference ;)

you mentioned getting down in time to get boots from the garage - do you mean collecting snowboots from storage post skiing? What time are the last gondolas and what time is sunset do you know? Would be interested to know the last time bubble down from top of the mountain. And does the blue family run bring you right into the Soll?

Where's the nicest spot for dinner? We're not into fancy over-the-top fine dining, mainly about having a celebratory bit of craic with great food

Sorry folks- I'm seeing a message from Boards to say site work underway & attachments might not work, maybe that's it?

Rew: the schnitzel there is AMAZING!! Tastiest ever, it's the best in the village!

Murph: There's a great app called Light tracker, it'll give you sunrise & sunset for your current location. Are you both reasonable skiers? That's a blue run but it has a couple of tricky hairpin turns for beginners- just FYI!

For dinner I'd go to the Dorfstuben, it's lovely! And if you see the blonde Irish waitress that's Sinead, she'll look after you! or Auf Der Muhle is lovely too. I'll have a think & see if I come up with anything else- where are you staying?

Cheers I'll look into the Dorfstuben. Can't remember the name of the place we're staying, I didn't book it but think it's a small guesthouse on the edge of town. I'll have a look at the light tracker, ya we'd both be good for blues I reckon.

• Advertisement

We ate in Dorfstuben and Auf Der Muhle. Dorfstuben is very Austrian, very good Austrian food for very very reasonable money. Probably more romantic then other Muhle. Auf Der Muhle is modern, Irish priced steak house, better for big group celebration I would have said.

We also ate in a 3rd place that i cant think of the the name of but it is on the left as you head out of town toward the ski lift, past estate agents, church and bank. Its small, modern and romantic and reasonably priced a good halfway house. Fanny might put a name on it.

BTW Oberhausberg is a busy apres ski bar at sunset so may not be as romantic as you might hope. The outside terrace wasn't busy the day we were there though.

I must ask my wife her thoughts on the popping the big Q in Soll location actually!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Rew wrote: »

I must ask my wife her thoughts on the popping the big Q in Soll location actually!

I love the idea! (I'm not your wife btw) I feel like we're in cahoots with your big plan, hope it goes well. Very rosemantic :)

Rew wrote: »
    We ate in Dorfstuben and Auf Der Muhle. Dorfstuben is very Austrian, very good Austrian food for very very reasonable money. Probably more romantic then other Muhle. Auf Der Muhle is modern, Irish priced steak house, better for big group celebration I would have said.

We also ate in a 3rd place that i cant think of the the name of but it is on the left as you head out of town toward the ski lift, past estate agents, church and bank. Its small, modern and romantic and reasonably priced a good halfway house. Fanny might put a name on it.

BTW Oberhausberg is a busy apres ski bar at sunset so may not be as romantic as you might hope. The outside terrace wasn't busy the day we were there though.

Rew is it Bella Vita? Yes that's nice too, but I'd still go with Dorfstubn for the rustic vibe! Postwirt is also lovely, but more rustic than romantic :-)

Yes Oberhausberg can be really busy for après, but outside is usually fine, esp on the mountain side where the lake is, there's rarely anyone there really. They do prosecco in there too, so you can have bubbles before you ski down, good luck with that! Oberhausberg prosecco & schnapps was nearly the death of me last year haha ;)

Got back from Soll last Wednesday. Great few days skiing with sunshine and blue skies every day except Wednesday when it snowed and we got some nice fresh powder.
    Really enjoyed the skiing and we did a few great days travelling to Westendorf, Kizbuhel and Going. I hadn't been in Soll for around 8 years so I definitely noticed the improvement in lift infrastructure. A few lower runs got very slushy and lumpy in the afternoon but it was a very mild week.
    The skiing was great but I felt the après ski was a bit quiet. The first few days were reasonably busy but Monday & Tuesday were tame. It certainly wasn't as busy or lively as Mayrhofen where we skied the last few years.
    Also noticed a big jump in price for food, coffee & beers as we got closer to Kitzbuhel.

Can you ski all the way to Kitzbuhel or is there some busing needed?

You need to get a bus from the bottom of the Ki-West run (120 red I think) only a few miles down the road to Kirchberg (Pengelstein lift). Then Kirchberg is well connected to Kitzbuhel.

Donie75 wrote: »
    Got back from Soll last Wednesday. Great few days skiing with sunshine and blue skies every day except Wednesday when it snowed and we got some nice fresh powder.
    Really enjoyed the skiing and we did a few great days travelling to Westendorf, Kizbuhel and Going. I hadn't been in Soll for around 8 years so I definitely noticed the improvement in lift infrastructure. A few lower runs got very slushy and lumpy in the afternoon but it was a very mild week.
    The skiing was great but I felt the après ski was a bit quiet. The first few days were reasonably busy but Monday & Tuesday were tame. It certainly wasn't as busy or lively as Mayrhofen where we skied the last few years.
    Also noticed a big jump in price for food, coffee & beers as we got closer to Kitzbuhel.

When you say Tuesday was quiet for aprés, do you mean Pancake Tuesday? Fasching's Dienstag, with the fancy dress & Carnivale?! Dear God if you think that's a quiet night I can only imagine what you must've been up to in Mayrhofen!! ;-)

Fanny,
    Yes I thought it was fairly quiet. There was a decent crowd around after skiing in the Salven Stadl but it died off fairly early. We went to the Whiskey Muhle and if our group weren't there it would have been empty. Great band playing be very quiet. We tend to go out straight after skiing and head home around 10-11pm so maybe we were missing the best part of the night.

Salven is usu BANANAS that night!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Inconspicuous

Well Lads,

Heading over to Soll on Saturday. Looking at the weather reports for the last few days and it looks like its been snowing recently so happy days. Does anyone living there know if its a busy week there next week (holidays, festivals etc)?

Advertisement