Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PL/SQL Aggregate Woes

Options
  • 16-10-2015 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've been having a bit of a mind melt in work over this query, i just cant get it to aggregate the way I want to. I've tried, TRUNC, SUM, TO_CHAR, TO_DATE havent nested it yet but would like to see if there is a simpler way.

Essentially i want it broken down by date, and all fields in the underlying table are in a date time format, so they come up with multiple values for the same date and type.

The query in question is below: it should return three columns
    Type, Date, Count (*) broken down by date:

This is what i have at the moment and I've anonymised the query, any help would be appreciated.

SELECT tb.type " Type",TRUNC(TO_DATE(tb.datetime, 'dd/mm/yyyy'), 'dd/mm/yyyy'), Count(*)

FROM table.tab tb

WHERE tb.type in ('Type1','Type2','Type3')
    AND tb.datetime > TO_DATE('05/10/2015','dd/mm/yyyy')
    GROUP BY tb.type, tb.datetime;
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Zith

Try something like this:
    SELECT tb.type " Type",TRUNC(TO_DATE(tb.datetime, 'dd/mm/yyyy'), 'dd/mm/yyyy'), Count(*)
    FROM table.tab tb

WHERE tb.type in ('Type1','Type2','Type3')
    AND tb.datetime > TO_DATE('05/10/2015','dd/mm/yyyy')
    GROUP BY tb.type, TRUNC(TO_DATE(tb.datetime, 'dd/mm/yyyy');

You need to group on exactly what you expect the output to be. By grouping on the tb.datetime you still include seconds hence it doesn't group as you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

D'oh!

Thanks Zith, had an aul play around with the Query and got it grouped using TO_DATE() in the group by function.

Appreciate the help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Zith

Happy to help!

Advertisement