Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seth Rollins Thread- Main Eventer for the long term?

• 16-10-2015 1:17pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Across many threads we have discussed the man, his booking recently, his wrestling style, potential etc so I think this thread might be a good place to bring a lot of that together.

Right now his booking is not ideal and he could be protected more but positioning him as WWE Champion now is very important for the future of WWE. He needs to be a Cena, Orton or Edge for this generation. They can't afford to waste time on another champion like Miz or Del Rio who the crowd could never feel drawn towards.

When I look at the other WWE champions in the last 5 years I think it shows how important Seth is.

- Brock Lesnar
    - John Cena
    - Daniel Bryan
    - Randy Orton
    - The Rock
    - CM Punk
    - Alberto Del Rio
    - Rey Mysterio
    - The Miz

Not a bad list at all. But the list shows how few established people WWE have to face a guy like Rollins and possibly explains why they struggle to book his run well. Cena and Orton have faced him enough already, Brock has faced him - is part time - and too much of a beast to face him right now, The Rock is not around, Bryan out and may never return, Miz is not even mid card, Del Rio - Punk - Mysterio all gone.

Right now i think Rollins needs people like Reigns, Wyatt, Owens to take advantage of their opportunities and give each other something fresh to work with. If his run as champ falls flat he had a lot about him to bounce back, even then he needs the people to work with.

If you have any thoughts about where he is at now, where he should go after Kane, anything at all it would be great to read them.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Oh and some Seth gifs (courtesy of the wrasslormonkey)

tumblr_nm08k9kF6e1rnjfjfo1_r1_400.gif

tumblr_nirjmvVZK91rnjfjfo1_r1_400.gif

tumblr_nbz3qdFLCz1rnjfjfo1_r1_400.gif

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Rollins will be be a main eventer for the long term. He will be top of the card and someone they can rely on but they are currently missing the chance to make him a bonifide star. If they booked him even half as strong as they do John Cena not only would he become a much bigger star but the title would mean a hell of a lot more like it did when Brock held the title.

There is no need for the US champ to beat him so many times or for him to lose to J & J or Kane or whoever. He does not need to win ever match but if he is someone you think you will have to build the company around "The future of the WWE" then don't just say it, treat him as such cos well you kinda have to. Why? well as DM said who else is there?

Brock is never going to be full time and Cena is going to be less and less full time from now on plus he is the last person that needs to be pushed. Outside those two and the rare returning old timers (Taker, Rock, HHH etc) the WWE don't really have main event star power that people really care about (sorry Orton). In fact if anything the WWE desperately need to make others to get to Seth's level but before you can do that you gotta cement Seth as a top star and make it mean something if he is actually beaten so that those others can actually be elevated by doing so. With him losing so regularly on Raw thats not really possible atm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

As a heel he's finished....it's boring, repetitive and he loses all the time.

He still has a potentially big future as a babyface though. Exciting in-iring style, he'd more protected as a babyface, has a good look, explosive finisher (although it will never get over to the level it did with Triple H) and he is quite charismatic, good on the mic. Ideally, I'd like him to disappear for a while and then return out of nowhere as a big time babyface.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

As far as his in-ring work goes, he’s dependable, always delivers and is always enjoyable. A Seth Rollins match is always worth a look. Hes the modern day Shawn Michaels or at least close to it.

From a character stand point, hes not a Main Eventer nor a star yet. He’s been poorly booked as personality and as a competitor and its hurt his credibility hard. Hes lost so much and Im surprised hes held the title so long. His reign, though long, has been a flop. Hes been a poor Champion and its through no fault of his own. He’s been booked to look like a cowardly chicken sh!t heel and its not a Main event tier gimmick.

That being said, if he was suddenly booked stronger and with the right care, his character could recover in a short time. He needs to be more dominant and ruthless. He should be crushing J & J,not losing to them. A good vicious streak and stronger booking and I see no reason why he cant be a great heel main eventer.

As far as his in-ring work goes, he’s dependable, always delivers and is always enjoyable. A Seth Rollins match is always worth a look. Hes the modern day Shawn Michaels or at least close to it.

From a character stand point, hes not a Main Eventer nor a star yet. He’s been poorly booked as personality and as a competitor and its hurt his credibility hard. Hes lost so much and Im surprised hes held the title so long. His reign, though long, has been a flop. Hes been a poor Champion and its through no fault of his own. He’s been booked to look like a cowardly chicken sh!t heel and its not a Main event tier gimmick.

That being said, if he was suddenly booked stronger and with the right care, his character could recover in a short time. He needs to be more dominant and ruthless. He should be crushing J & J,not losing to them. A good vicious streak and stronger booking and I see no reason why he cant be a great heel main eventer.

• Advertisement

Thought I'd throw this here... A look at Seths horrible reign compared to other notable poor reigns.

http://www.voicesofwrestling.com/2015/10/14/hes-a-loser-a-statistical-look-at-seth-rollins-world-title-reign/

Thought I'd throw this here... A look at Seths horrible reign compared to other notable poor reigns.

http://www.voicesofwrestling.com/2015/10/14/hes-a-loser-a-statistical-look-at-seth-rollins-world-title-reign/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Inspired by the ATH question I think Rollins and Reigns could do with goig back in time, doing what was working at different times in the recent pasy.

Rollins back to The Architect, back to a schemer who utilises what around him to win (Authority, an opponent's weaknesses or a bold move), loud and bragging at every turn. Reigns back to a silent, line em up and plough through opponents.

The contrast would eventually lead two successful and credible Superstars on a collision course. At some point it's going to happen and WWE have done well to keep them apart but an undercurrent idea that links them together without facing each other needs to be in place to make it must see. It will be all the better if both guys look like stars when they eventually end up in a feud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

He needs to get away from HHH and Stephanie, the latter in particular who seems eager to try to bury every top heel on the roster. I fear he will be with them for some time yet, however, as it looks like the plan is for HHH vs Rollins down the line - perhaps at Mania unless HHH faces the Rock. I just hope Rollins goes over HHH if there is such a match, but I wouldn't bet on it.

The chicken sh*t heel gimmick hasn't worked. I heard someone say recently, I think it was Bryan Alvarez, that when Ric Flair did this type of gimmick - probably the best one ever at it - that he always presented himself as a tough guy backstage, in his interviews when talking about what he would do to his opponents, etc. But Rollins is always portrayed as scared of everyone and everything. He's just a pitiful character, really.

I would actually like to see him have a run as a babyface as I enjoyed him in the role on NXT. He needs some change of direction.

Advertisement