Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Adventure Race - Quest Series

Options
  • 16-10-2015 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Anyone signing up for the Quest events next year, registration opened today, I have done the Killarney events for the last couple of years and really enjoyed them. They are after adding in the Achill Roar and a race in Glendalough for next year, has anyone done these races before, any feedback?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Achill ROAR is great. Glendalough is new to the calendar picking up on the hole that WAR has left in the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

Done Killarney a few weeks ago and found it fantastic. Contemplating going back in March as well although disappointed its a different course.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Ath trasna

Cheers AKW, very tempted to sign up for the 4 of them, its 3 for the price of 4 up to the end of the month.

Cona- I did the March one in Killarney and it was very good, different course alright but still some fantastic scenery, highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Ath trasna

Cheers AKW, very tempted to sign up for the 4 of them, its 3 for the price of 4 up to the end of the month.

Cona- I did the March one in Killarney and it was very good, different course alright but still some fantastic scenery, highly recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

I did the March one this year too. Nice course, thankfully not as hard as KAR.

Just one thing to know about it. Theres about 4km of "off road". It was slippy in parts but by God, iv never seen as many people being hit by punctures!

A couple of lads went straight over the handlebars too. There was a case or two of straight bar vs drop bars aswell.

• Advertisement

Anyone know if you have to register bike on Friday night or if you can just show up Sat morning?

Cona wrote: »
    Anyone know if you have to register bike on Friday night or if you can just show up Sat morning?

There was no need for overnight storage for the bikes at this one as its a communal start at the Gleneagle as there is no "long distance" race.

I registered and picked up the race pack on the Friday then brought the bike to the SL on Saturday morning.

There was no need for overnight storage for the bikes at this one as its a communal start at the Gleneagle as there is no "long distance" race.

I registered and picked up the race pack on the Friday then brought the bike to the SL on Saturday morning.

Much better not needing to book a hotel on the Friday night.

Much better not needing to book a hotel on the Friday night.

I think you could register on the Saturday between 0630-0930 so not too bad.

I usually stay the weekend....for the craic like :)

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭aidanathome

It depends on the distance. For the 27k at least, it's just turn up on the morning. But for all the others (I think), you have to drop it at Kate Kearney's Cottage the night before.

• Advertisement

It depends on the distance. For the 27k at least, it's just turn up on the morning. But for all the others (I think), you have to drop it at Kate Kearney's Cottage the night before.

Ah i think he was asking about the St.Patricks Day race...... Otherwise im after lying my ass off to him! :pac:

Ah i think he was asking about the St.Patricks Day race...... Otherwise im after lying my ass off to him! :pac:

Good point! I had the most recent one in my mind so answered based on that, so maybe I'm the one lying my ass off to him! ;)

Yes was asking about St Patrick's day event. Will drop a line to the organisers. In the FAQ it says you need to register the bike on Friday night but I'm not sure that is correct

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Red Adair

lads,

the organisation of the killarney race in october was not great. The marshaling on the second run was abismal. I spent 5 minutes at one junction in the woods, lost.

hope this is better in Glendalough.

not worth the fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Red Adair wrote: »
    lads,

the organisation of the killarney race in october was not great. The marshaling on the second run was abismal. I spent 5 minutes at one junction in the woods, lost.

not worth the fee.

All part of the adventure? ;)

lads,

not worth the fee.

Sorry to hear that.
    I've done the last 3 Killarney Adventure Races and enjoyed all 3 with no problems, but I guess there's always going to be that risk with any adventure race.

lads,

not worth the fee.

Arent you given a route map?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Sportif Lady

Hi all, I did October AR and used road bike. Presumed I'd do the same in March but while in Killarney a few weeks ago, I took a look at off road section. Glad I did, as it was clear after a few metres that it's definitely not road bike friendly. I'll be using my MTB on Sat. Might be heavier and slower but it will work out the same as you'll be off the road bike more than you'll be on it for the gravel section. Last year was supposed to be carnage with accidents and punctures all over. And that section is done twice!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭rebelgourmet

Hi all, I did October AR and used road bike. Presumed I'd do the same in March but while in Killarney a few weeks ago, I took a look at off road section. Glad I did, as it was clear after a few metres that it's definitely not road bike friendly. I'll be using my MTB on Sat. Might be heavier and slower but it will work out the same as you'll be off the road bike more than you'll be on it for the gravel section. Last year was supposed to be carnage with accidents and punctures all over. And that section is done twice!

Thanks for this, I was wondering on bike/tyre choice also. The website recommends NOT using a road bike! Its my 1st time doing it(March race) this year, any stories, tips or advice from last few years would be much appreciated...

Are they still taking entries for this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Sportif Lady

If you've done an AR before then you'll probably be well set. It's going to be more straight forward than the October one. Because I'm using my MTB, I will just wear my trail shoes so I won't need to wear a backpack to carry shoes etc. You must carry a mandatory kit at all times and this is checked just before the start so no getting away with it! I will carry this in the back pocket of my cycling jersey. I have a whistle, bandage, compeed, plaster and dressing, and survival blanket which fits neatly in a sandwich bag and in my back pocket. I will have a bottle of water on the bottle cage of bike. I have a crossbar mini bag for spare tube, tyre levers, pump, bars etc. Or a saddle bag. I may bring a small bottle of water in back pocket to bring on the run. I think that's pretty much it. I'd recommend being very familiar with route, water filling stations etc as you do feel more confident and at ease on the day. Also, the marshals are great but mistakes have been made! I enquired about road bike or MTB a while ago and the response was 'either/or' but if it's an expensive road bike, then MTB might be better! Believe me, there's no way you'll get through gravel section (approx 4km I think) without walking, skidding, puncturing. I love my road bike too much, my MTB is tougher:-)
    Anyway, be careful whatever you choose.
    I hope that's of some help anyway.

Advertisement