Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Testing out new ski boots

Options
  • 16-10-2015 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭

I'm gonna be heading out to Dundrum to pick up some ski boots for the upcoming season and was wondering what people opinions are on the best place to wear them in? Kilternan or the magic carpet place in Sandyford?

Haven't been to either before but don't want to waste any time on the real slopes getting my boots adjusted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Don't bother with the carpet. Triec it once, spent the whole time trying to get the hang of skiing on a travelator! Not a fan of the fake slopes either but probably more realistic.

I never practiced in my boots after I got them. Just waited for my trip. I knew they fit, and they were grand as soon as I started skiing.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Buy in resort? More choice and you can probably rent to test drive them??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

Yeah I'd buy in resort if possible, then you can get any adjustments made there & then if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Don't want to waste any time on a ski trip getting boots sorted when I can do it here (hence wanting to know where the best place to wear them in is). I've subsequently been told they're much of a muchness so might just try them both out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

while I've never been to Kilternan, Sandyford is a waste of time, you spend of the time trying to forget everything you know about skiing.
    Stepping into turns hoping you don't kill the others on the carpet with you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

stecleary wrote:
    while I've never been to Kilternan, Sandyford is a waste of time, you spend of the time trying to forget everything you know about skiing. Stepping into turns hoping you don't kill the others on the carpet with you

Yep. That was my experience too. Never again. I only went cos I had a voucher. Once was enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

Yep. That was my experience too. Never again. I only went cos I had a voucher. Once was enough.

And those boots!! WTF?! Absolutely dire. Went for the laugh but it was a terrible waste of money. There was a poor woman there struggling to stay upright & her husband trying to convince her this was like the real thing- Never again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

found the carpet great for getting back into skiing after snowboarding for years , but the boots there are pure s hite

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭karl83

Seifer wrote: »
    Don't want to waste any time on a ski trip getting boots sorted when I can do it here (hence wanting to know where the best place to wear them in is). I've subsequently been told they're much of a muchness so might just try them both out.

Buy your boots in resort off a proper fitter. Your wasting your time and money buying them here. Yea the guys in dundrum might know a bit about fitting boots but not compared to a guy in resort who does it as a profession. The majority of resort shops open early and late at night. You could get fitted on your arrival day so no time wasted on the slopes.
    You will get a better choice and also better fitting boot.

Advertisement