Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chargeback question

• 16-10-2015 2:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭

Howdy.

My mother recently signed up to an online TEFL course after speaking to a lady from the company over the phone. She explained to the woman that she wanted to work in Ireland and asked if the certificate could be used here. The woman assured her it could. I have since looked into it and discovered that the certificate is useless in Ireland as only CELT or CELTA are accepted by English schools here.

They have refused a refund. I want to apply for a chargeback because I believe she was misled and essentially sold faulty goods.

Would she have grounds in this case?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Unless you can prove it (i.e with some written material, or a recording of the call) it will be your word vs theirs, so IMHO it's unlikely to be successful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Unless you can prove it (i.e with some written material, or a recording of the call) it will be your word vs theirs, so IMHO it's unlikely to be successful.

Are they obliged to provide the recording?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,684 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Tusky wrote: »
    go for the chargeback, but beware that some banks will charge you if you lose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Tusky wrote: »

The TEFL company? They're not even obliged to record it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Which banks are these?

AIB, but this was a few years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

go for the chargeback, but beware that some banks will charge you if you lose.

Its up to the Supplier to decide whether to make a chargeback or not, so if the supplier decides there is no reason to give a chargeback, whats that got to do with the banks.

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Its up to the Supplier to decide whether to make a chargeback or not, so if the supplier decides there is no reason to give a chargeback, whats that got to do with the banks.

You are confusing a refund with a chargeback.

The merchant had no say in the resolution of the chargeback. The issuing bank will raise it against the acquiring bank and then the merchant has to defend it.

Advertisement