Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music Free Composition or Qs 6-8

• 16-10-2015 4:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,660 ✭✭✭✭

My teacher is telling us to do Qs 6-8 on the JC exam paper (HL) but I want to do Q9 - Free Composition as I love writing songs and I don't write them using instruments, but my head which is useful for the exam if I do the question. I can VERY EASILY write a catchy tune in a few minutes but at the same time, my teacher is telling us all to do Qs 6-8 instead. What should I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭smiles_1998

sryanbruen wrote: »
    My teacher is telling us to do Qs 6-8 on the JC exam paper (HL) but I want to do Q9 - Free Composition as I love writing songs and I don't write them using instruments, but my head which is useful for the exam if I do the question. I can VERY EASILY write a catchy tune in a few minutes but at the same time, my teacher is telling us all to do Qs 6-8 instead. What should I do?

Maybe approach your teacher about this- do they know that you can write tunes very easily? Tell them you want to try Q9 and maybe do a question in class for them so they can see the exact standard you're at- just don't forget that Q9 will carry a LOT of marks so it is absolutely vital you do well in it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,660 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Maybe approach your teacher about this- do they know that you can write tunes very easily? Tell them you want to try Q9 and maybe do a question in class for them so they can see the exact standard you're at- just don't forget that Q9 will carry a LOT of marks so it is absolutely vital you do well in it!

Yes my teacher knows that I am the only one in my class who writes his own songs and can write them very easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

sryanbruen wrote: »

Q6-8...only about 10 candidates in the whole country go with Q9 every year and people generally get poor marks because the corrector have nothing to base it against.

Q6-8...only about 10 candidates in the whole country go with Q9 every year and people generally get poor marks because the corrector have nothing to base it against.

"Nothing to base it against" - can you help me understand what this means?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,252 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

This is what the Chief Examiner's Report in 2012 had to say about Q9:

Question 9: Free composition
    Average mark: 5.5; percentage: 5.5 (n = random 4).
    Only one candidate answered this question without answering questions 6, 7, and 8; a small number attempted this question in addition to questions 6, 7, and 8. They displayed no understanding of the requirements of this question and were awarded low marks, which were then disallowed.

IF your teacher agrees you know what you are doing, then try this question. If you can do the other options easily, I would choose them.

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    This is what the Chief Examiner's Report in 2012 had to say about Q9:

Question 9: Free composition
    Average mark: 5.5; percentage: 5.5 (n = random 4).
    Only one candidate answered this question without answering questions 6, 7, and 8; a small number attempted this question in addition to questions 6, 7, and 8. They displayed no understanding of the requirements of this question and were awarded low marks, which were then disallowed.

IF your teacher agrees you know what you are doing, then try this question. If you can do the other options easily, I would choose them.

I can do both easily. Music composing (definitely not singing) is a very special skill I have. I may not be as amazing as Mozart who composed at 5 years old but I composed as early as 11 years old. The difference between the one who did it (yes I read the report) and me are I understand the question and I know how to create a tune suitable for the mood of it. I would be shocked if the examiner gave me low marks - I would have a big argument with him if I did as everybody knows I am a great songwriter.

Advertisement