Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Late Late Show October 16th 2015

123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

It was a good show overall this week .. making up for the rubbish show planned for next week. Along with crime, there is another plague that's sweeping rural Ireland and that is boyfolk music. That's precisely what is on for the full show next week. 2 hours of horrid boyfolk music by Derek Ryan and others. Why can't RTE promote good music for a change? It is either this muck or else it is some reality TV show with Louis Walsh is all that gets promoted. After a decent last few Late Late Shows, Tubridy has brought it crashing down with his boyfolk tribute next week. I give up.

Pity you dont give up!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Pity you dont give up!!

As long as there are people there to defend poor fare on our TVs, we will always have it. I am standing up for the 1000s that are deprived of a break to kickstart their careers in whatever they do that are blocked because of the media's lack of support. If 1000s can protest against Irish Water, I am as entitled to have my say about the over-promotion of this type of music and no support for other types.

Pity you dont give up!!

And what's with this personal hostile tone? There is no need for this. I am entitled to protest about something I don't believe is fair. It is not so much the music itself, which is not to my tastes but I would have no problem with if it received equal treatment along with other forms. It is the blatant promotion of it to the detriment of all other styles that is wrong. Just like Keith Barry being the only magician to be promoted on our screens is also wrong.

The following are just a tiny percentage of the forums and posts on various threads you have written on this issue over the last few weeks.Your hatred of the singers & particularly Mike Denver & Derek Ryan is bordering on Mark Chapman like obsession. Its not healthy dude. I don't care for the music but demand necessitates supply.So having a go at the young lads for getting out there & making a living for their family & entertaining people in the process i remarkably obsessive & unfair. Your heightened knowlege of this music for someone that cant stomach it is most bizarre also. I genuinely have only just heard of your man Denver merely because of the publicity surrounding Garth Brook this year & his subsequent "Wagon Wheel " song which was admittedly overplayed and not what i would consider to my taste but ultimately harmless so it definitely isn't pushed down mine nor most peoples throat.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2057471524

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2057510235

I just HOPE this is not the start of a whole series of Irish country/boyfolk concerts. There are at least 5 artists of this genre much worse than Nathan Carter, all of whom were on Tubridy's show. I just don't get why RTE promotes this mediocre genre all the time

Yeah, as long as they don't start again force feeding us tosh like Mike Denver and Derek Ryan rubbish

I think the same. I would open the thing up to all up and coming country artists and give them a platform to sing their songs. Music and any art should not be a competition. That's sport. The main problem with country music in Ireland is that it is a closed shop. ONE sound, which I call boyfolk (

I would not ban RTE but I would change it! Some of what it does is good but 2 things they are poor at are music and chatshows in general. A need to get away from the clique that seems to dominate everything is needed and for a chance for others to be able to get a bit of promotion.

I think RTE make no effort for a lot of their shows because they do not have a serious rival. TV3 and UTV Ireland did not really take off and RTE1 remains the most popular station. And are also promoting the same horrid Irish country music and/or the same old faces from Keith Barry to Louis Walsh. Plus, there seems to be at least one chef on at some stage every day somewhere. Or if not that, some talent show, garden or house makeover show or other such reality TV.

RTE, TV3, UTVI and TG4 all need to be seriously reformed. The content of a lot of them would bore and depress anyone

While I would not ban anything, one thing I would end is all the support and promotion given to bad Irish country music to the detriment of everything else inclusive of good Irish country music. Tubridy has these idiots on the whole time and it is constantly on TG4 and local rural radio. Paddywhackery done boyband style is what it is and I don't get it why this fake, soulless, insincere music can get so much support from the powers that be.

Me too with regard to the latter. I can't understand why country and irish music (that is Mike Denver, Derek Ryan, all them type of fellas) has the following it does. It is easily the worst music I ever heard. It has one leg in boybandland and the other in paddywhackeryland with a blatant disregard for real country music. I prefer to call it boyfolk than country and irish.

The following are just a tiny percentage of the forums and posts on various threads you have written on this issue over the last few weeks.Your hatred of the singers & particularly Mike Denver & Derek Ryan is bordering on Mark Chapman like obsession. Its not healthy dude. I don't care for the music but demand necessitates supply.So having a go at the young lads for getting out there & making a living for their family & entertaining people in the process i remarkably obsessive & unfair. Your heightened knowlege of this music for someone that cant stomach it is most bizarre also. I genuinely have only just heard of your man Denver merely because of the publicity surrounding Garth Brook this year & his subsequent "Wagon Wheel " song which was admittedly overplayed and not what i would consider to my taste but ultimately harmless so it definitely isn't pushed down mine nor most peoples throat.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2057471524

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2057510235

I just HOPE this is not the start of a whole series of Irish country/boyfolk concerts. There are at least 5 artists of this genre much worse than Nathan Carter, all of whom were on Tubridy's show. I just don't get why RTE promotes this mediocre genre all the time

Yeah, as long as they don't start again force feeding us tosh like Mike Denver and Derek Ryan rubbish

I think the same. I would open the thing up to all up and coming country artists and give them a platform to sing their songs. Music and any art should not be a competition. That's sport. The main problem with country music in Ireland is that it is a closed shop. ONE sound, which I call boyfolk (

I would not ban RTE but I would change it! Some of what it does is good but 2 things they are poor at are music and chatshows in general. A need to get away from the clique that seems to dominate everything is needed and for a chance for others to be able to get a bit of promotion.

I think RTE make no effort for a lot of their shows because they do not have a serious rival. TV3 and UTV Ireland did not really take off and RTE1 remains the most popular station. And are also promoting the same horrid Irish country music and/or the same old faces from Keith Barry to Louis Walsh. Plus, there seems to be at least one chef on at some stage every day somewhere. Or if not that, some talent show, garden or house makeover show or other such reality TV.

RTE, TV3, UTVI and TG4 all need to be seriously reformed. The content of a lot of them would bore and depress anyone

While I would not ban anything, one thing I would end is all the support and promotion given to bad Irish country music to the detriment of everything else inclusive of good Irish country music. Tubridy has these idiots on the whole time and it is constantly on TG4 and local rural radio. Paddywhackery done boyband style is what it is and I don't get it why this fake, soulless, insincere music can get so much support from the powers that be.

Me too with regard to the latter. I can't understand why country and irish music (that is Mike Denver, Derek Ryan, all them type of fellas) has the following it does. It is easily the worst music I ever heard. It has one leg in boybandland and the other in paddywhackeryland with a blatant disregard for real country music. I prefer to call it boyfolk than country and irish.

Again, to repeat: I am not and do not stand for the values Mark Chapman harboured. He was what one would call a terrorist or hitman.

In a country where we can have a say and give our opinion, I think it is reasonable and fair that I can point out to the blatant support of certain individuals while no one else is allowed get a look in.

EVERYONE complains about Tubridy and the Late Late Show often YET I bet over 90% of the Irish population watch it at some stage. This means that whatever is on that show is exposed to a very very large proportion of the Irish audiences. There are fans of all types of music, comedy, magic and entertainment in Ireland inclusive of this boyfolk country pop and when it is included on this show, it gains a MASSIVE audience and becomes much more popular. What is not included on this show remains unknown. There are fans of other styles out there, there are artists of other styles out there, BUT the media cannot and will not bring them together!

I have criticised as well as singers like Ryan the way too much promotion for other entities as well ranging from Ruby Walsh to Keith Barry. I have also given praise where praise is due too. Until now, I had no faults with Tubridy and his show this season.

I would also not object at all to a music special show next Friday featuring ALL forms of music and giving new talent the opportunity to get a break. The concentration on just ONE genre and the usual same old singers is what is wrong. This is a clique and it is corruption.

I call a spade a spade and I saw other poor fare on our screens come and go and be recognised eventually for the tripe it was. Everything from Pat Kenny's depressing The Frontline to the stupid drama series The Big Bow Wow. I recognised these were vehicles for Kenny and Eoghan Harris and their weakness was exposed the more these things went on. The current obsession in the media with this boyfolk country pop will also prove to come to a crashing end as more people recognise that there is much better music out there.

• Advertisement

The Eurovision is a joke in itself. I wouldnt take that seriously

As for local radio, I am sure there are a few shows dedicated to country music but not at the level you say. Most stations play popular music to the most.

To be fair RTE don't play that much country music at all?? Rte is very backward music wise and apart from chat shows and the odd tribute night there is no dedicated domestic music show so I don't get where you are imagining this up. Imelda May hosts a show and 99% of it is proper music.

The RTE drama shows and sporting montages and adverts use a wide variety of domestic and international backing music. It is very rare that a country music slot is on more than once a month on Tubridy (check the statistics) and never on the Saturday night equivalent at all really.

So again you are so obsessed that when you do see it the odd time it gets to you.

As for TG4 its target audience clearly like that music and it's an Irish rural station so it's only right they have a few country shows. They also have trad music shows and they have recently started showing later with jools Holland. And a few other non country shows.

But again you conveniently ignore these to suit your agenda.

TV3 doesnt do music so forget about that.

2FM hosts showcases of irish music but steers away from trad or country owing to its target market. RTE RADIO 1 has some music shows and BOth Lyric FM and RnaG are dedicated to specific music genres and the last thing you will hear on either of those stations is the country music that you refer to.

You are basing your agenda and o session on factual misguidance therefore and I suggest you sit down and listen to these media outlets with this in mind.

In fact most irish media outlets, with the exception of TG4 maybe (and we know their main demographic audience) are reknowned for taking the proverbial pass out of Irish country music, Daniel o Donnell, Crystal Swing, the like of Nathan Carter etc. It far from promotes them really.

You should sit down andrethink what you are saying because quite honestly most of it is in your head.

Oh & if "The current obsession in the media with this boyfolk country pop will also prove to come to a crashing end as more people recognise that there is much better music out there.", as you say it will, why not let it happen. Thats the natural evolution of culture. Tastes change over time. You cant force it though, people dont rely on you to tell them what they like or dont like or what is good & whats not good music.

So get out out of your cave of bitterness and accept everyones taste is different.

Oh & if "The current obsession in the media with this boyfolk country pop will also prove to come to a crashing end as more people recognise that there is much better music out there.", as you say it will, why not let it happen. Thats the natural evolution of culture. Tastes change over time. You cant force it though, people dont rely on you to tell them what they like or dont like or what is good & whats not good music.

So get out out of your cave of bitterness and accept everyones taste is different.

I completely accept everyone's taste is different. It is the media that don't! They not me are the ones promoting just about 3 types of music and just a limited set of other entertainers. I am not bitter and one does not have to be to recognise the poor state of our current 'entertainment' sector. I think the majority of people feel the same ..... that's why it will all end sooner or later.

The Eurovision is a joke in itself. I wouldnt take that seriously

As for local radio, I am sure there are a few shows dedicated to country music but not at the level you say. Most stations play popular music to the most.

To be fair RTE don't play that much country music at all?? Rte is very backward music wise and apart from chat shows and the odd tribute night there is no dedicated domestic music show so I don't get where you are imagining this up. Imelda May hosts a show and 99% of it is proper music.

The RTE drama shows and sporting montages and adverts use a wide variety of domestic and international backing music. It is very rare that a country music slot is on more than once a month on Tubridy (check the statistics) and never on the Saturday night equivalent at all really.

So again you are so obsessed that when you do see it the odd time it gets to you.

As for TG4 its target audience clearly like that music and it's an Irish rural station so it's only right they have a few country shows. They also have trad music shows and they have recently started showing later with jools Holland. And a few other non country shows.

But again you conveniently ignore these to suit your agenda.

TV3 doesnt do music so forget about that.

2FM hosts showcases of irish music but steers away from trad or country owing to its target market. RTE RADIO 1 has some music shows and BOth Lyric FM and RnaG are dedicated to specific music genres and the last thing you will hear on either of those stations is the country music that you refer to.

You are basing your agenda and o session on factual misguidance therefore and I suggest you sit down and listen to these media outlets with this in mind.

In fact most irish media outlets, with the exception of TG4 maybe (and we know their main demographic audience) are reknowned for taking the proverbial pass out of Irish country music, Daniel o Donnell, Crystal Swing, the like of Nathan Carter etc. It far from promotes them really.

You should sit down andrethink what you are saying because quite honestly most of it is in your head.

First off, it is not inside my head. I agree that pop music makes up most of what is played on radio. I am well aware it is poor too but at least it is marketed as pop. The boyfolk country stuff is just pop remarketed as something else.

I am well aware that RTE do not have many music shows. But when they do, it is either reality TV competitions or else it is this boyfolk stuff. Tubridy could have done a show of just about anything else besides this and I think it is not unfair to note that the vast majority of people tuning in next Friday do not want 2.5 hours of this stuff nonstop.

I agree about Imelda May and she, Hozier and others are proof that music outside the norm can and does do well too. I agree about the dramas: as well as being one of our best dramas, Love/Hate also featured excellent music ranging from rebel songs to Roy Orbison and Johnny Cash to Blind Willie Johnson. I could not imagine a boyfolk song in this! Nidge would have them clipped!

I have nothing against real country and irish. Songs like Lovely Leitrim, Gentle mother and Slaney valley are pleasant to listen to. Nathan Carter is grand on a lot of his songs and does not nearly annoy me as others. Crystal Swing are fine with me and are hardly boyfolk. They are closer to showband style. Daniel O'Donnell is grand too, he does not sing in a faked accent. The songs of these what i call boyfolk are not rural by any stretch. They are what would be called countrypolitan or country pop in America.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is Joe's Liveline now coming on the telly?

• Advertisement

First off, it is not inside my head. I agree that pop music makes up most of what is played on radio. I am well aware it is poor too but at least it is marketed as pop. The boyfolk country stuff is just pop remarketed as something else.

I am well aware that RTE do not have many music shows. But when they do, it is either reality TV competitions or else it is this boyfolk stuff. Tubridy could have done a show of just about anything else besides this and I think it is not unfair to note that the vast majority of people tuning in next Friday do not want 2.5 hours of this stuff nonstop.

I agree about Imelda May and she, Hozier and others are proof that music outside the norm can and does do well too. I agree about the dramas: as well as being one of our best dramas, Love/Hate also featured excellent music ranging from rebel songs to Roy Orbison and Johnny Cash to Blind Willie Johnson. I could not imagine a boyfolk song in this! Nidge would have them clipped!

I have nothing against real country and irish. Songs like Lovely Leitrim, Gentle mother and Slaney valley are pleasant to listen to. Nathan Carter is grand on a lot of his songs and does not nearly annoy me as others. Crystal Swing are fine with me and are hardly boyfolk. They are closer to showband style. Daniel O'Donnell is grand too, he does not sing in a faked accent. The songs of these what i call boyfolk are not rural by any stretch. They are what would be called countrypolitan or country pop in America.

You have ignored most of my points on this especially the one about RTE. As I said it is rare RTE show these singers on LLS and SNS
    Once or at most twice a month if even. Come back to me otherwise with statistics proving me wrong (which I know you cant
    it is even rarer there is any other sign of them on other shows??????? I think you are completely imagining this. Again check every listing on TV for the laSt year and a country music show would be complete rarity, if at all. Seriously. Do that. You are making things up to suit your crazy agenda and there is no point debating with you if you can't at least tell the truth.

Yes LLS is having a show Friday but this is not even wholly dedicated to this music entirely as you will find out when you do inevitably tune in (even though you say you wont)

As I said. If you can't at least tell the truth I can do no more or say no more.

There was a few shows and coverage when a MASSIVE story about GArth BROOKS broke during the Summer. That was inevitable but was minute enough. It's very very very rare these singers are interviewed on RTE or ant station in the grand scheme of things. You see them though maybe once or twice a year and you are convinced they are everywhere, such is your hatred. Your in depth knowledge is also astounding for someone that hates them!!!! I genuinely am beginning to think you may be a publicist for YOUR BELOPED "BOYFOLK" on a propiganda mission to divert our attention towards these guys and if so you are a damn good one. As most of the replies dispute your consensus that this wall to wall coverage exists.

Come back with this non existent programming maybe. Otherwise I don't think I can help you get out of this fantasy world you live in at all!!

I'm rocking my head like a wagon wheel at some of your replies!!

Also RTE hosts that show The Works as well as that brilliant music show live from that church, one of the best things RTE has ever done. Both these have everything other than country music and are a showcase for Irish music and occasionally far afield music. The online show The Balcony TV is another good example. There are lots more.

You have ignored most of my points on this especially the one about RTE. As I said it is rare RTE show these singers on LLS and SNS
    Once or at most twice a month if even. Come back to me otherwise with statistics proving me wrong (which I know you cant
    it is even rarer there is any other sign of them on other shows??????? I think you are completely imagining this. Again check every listing on TV for the laSt year and a country music show would be complete rarity, if at all. Seriously. Do that. You are making things up to suit your crazy agenda and there is no point debating with you if you can't at least tell the truth.

Yes LLS is having a show Friday but this is not even wholly dedicated to this music entirely as you will find out when you do inevitably tune in (even though you say you wont)

As I said. If you can't at least tell the truth I can do no more or say no more.

There was a few shows and coverage when a MASSIVE story about GArth BROOKS broke during the Summer. That was inevitable but was minute enough. It's very very very rare these singers are interviewed on RTE or ant station in the grand scheme of things. You see them though maybe once or twice a year and you are convinced they are everywhere, such is your hatred. Your in depth knowledge is also astounding for someone that hates them!!!! I genuinely am beginning to think you may be a publicist for YOUR BELOPED "BOYFOLK" on a propiganda mission to divert our attention towards these guys and if so you are a damn good one. As most of the replies dispute your consensus that this wall to wall coverage exists.

Come back with this non existent programming maybe. Otherwise I don't think I can help you get out of this fantasy world you live in at all!!

I'm rocking my head like a wagon wheel at some of your replies!!

Once or twice a month on the Late Late Show is a lot for these (if you think otherwise, I don't know: this show is not a specialist music show and any time they have music then it is pop music in first place and what I call boyfolk after that and an odd bit of everything else after that). Plus there is Opry san Iuir, Glor Tire, etc. on Wednesdays. And now a FULL 2.5 hour show of boyfolk music next Friday!!!!!!! Of course, it is a lot of this stuff!!!!

Come back to me with statistics??? Well, you gave me them and proved me right. Once or twice a month on a show that is not a specialist music show shows that this is after straight pop, the first music to come to mind for the show's producers!!!

I don't know who you are but it seems you not me has the agenda. Statistics for this music? You said it yourself, 1-2 times a month on Tubridy. 5 evenings a week on local radio all around the country. Every Wednesday on TG4. Concerts of some of these on RTE and TV3. Stetsons and Stilletoes coming up soon on RTE 1 and oh yes and FULL Late Late Show next Friday featuring this type of music. I do not see any jazz, R&B, rebel ballads or ahem real country and irish given as much attention. Indeed ... only reality TV pop gets more attention!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope you are right that this is only a part of this show but I have heard it is not. The full show is this stuff. I know my music and one does not have to be a fan of this stuff to know it. Local radio on in pubs, buses, canteens, etc. and all this stuff on TV means you cannot not know it exists. Maybe those guys wanting to go to Mars to live was not as mad as it sounds afterall :D

You are bonkers! Good luck to you ��

Oh and the last time one of those artists was on LLS was May and before that February. So I was even more wrong when I said once a month.

Your obsession isn't healthy. That's the crux of the matter

موسیقی کشور Boyfolk است بیش از حد به شدت در ایرلند ترویج و شما باید بدانید. من به bonkers نیست که شما هستند.سراسر هندوستان

Oh and the last time one of those artists was on LLS was May and before that February. So I was even more wrong when I said once a month.

Ok, so I can assume you are ok with corruption and closed shops looking after each other. I suppose you are in love with Seanie Fitz and think the Iraq war was man's greatest achievement. Go back to Anglo Irish Bank. It is time to have the untalking bread.

If you can't be civil and non-personal, please don't reply to my posts again. You are not even making an argument to defend this boyfolk country so I don't know what you are at? I consider what you are doing a form of harassment so I don't wan to see a reply to me again.

In a sadistic way your craziness is entertaining me!!!!!! But at the same time you are scaring me so take care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Ok, so I can assume you are ok with corruption and closed shops looking after each other. I suppose you are in love with Seanie Fitz and think the Iraq war was man's greatest achievement. Go back to Anglo Irish Bank. It is time to have the untalking bread.

If you can't be civil and non-personal, please don't reply to my posts again. You are not even making an argument to defend this boyfolk country so I don't know what you are at? I consider what you are doing a form of harassment so I don't wan to see a reply to me again.

In a sadistic way your craziness is entertaining me!!!!!! But at the same time you are scaring me so take care.

I think you're both a bit scary.

Brian Scan wrote: »
    [/B]

I think you're both a bit scary.

Thanks for that Brian. Hope you get a few likes for your hilarious comment! In fact I'll set the ball rolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

Strange! I remember when the Late Late Show thread was a fun place to be......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

coolhull wrote: »

You can say that again

Advertisement