Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grangegorman

Options
  • 16-10-2015 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone know anything about this area? i'm considering moving here with a new child and I'm curious about the area as a whole, including

community spirit? friendliness? communal amenities? safety and crime?

I would love to hear any info or views..

Many thanks..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Its a nice area. Near the new college which has a fantastic playground for kids.
    Its not too far from shops, busses and the luas. Its also a stones throw from town, phoenix park and botanic gardens.
    There are plenty of schools in the area along with preschool and playgroups.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Numena

I live just north of Grangegorman and often walk home from the city centre through Grangegorman and have never had any issues at night. It's very residential and, as tatranska pointed out, the new DIT campus has a great green area and playground. It's got two Tescos nearby, one on Prussia Street and one on Phibsboro Road, and lots of amenities.

Phoenix Park is also a 20-minute walk away and Smithfield with its cinema and restaurants is just a few minutes south.

Grangegorman itself doesn't have much in terms of public transport but North Circular Road (north) and Prussia Street / Manor Street (west) have some of the most regular buses in Dublin, including the 46a and the 39s.

Community-wise, I'd say people are pretty nice. There used to be a huge squat south of Grangegorman, the Grangegorman Community Collective, which was an amazing place where one of the abandoned warehouses served as a movie projection place or a circus training ground, and some of the people rehabilitating the place were actually from the area, including amazing gardeners who had helped clean up the area and reclaim the grounds with flowers and vegetables, amongst other things. The squat is now gone but the people are still around.

All in all, and solely based on my experience, I'd recommend the area because it feels safe and is very family orientated.

Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 TheMightyI

I think it's an area that's going to take off in the coming few years once the University beds in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

thanks for all the replies so far... really encouraging info..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Have just bought in Stoneybatter myself (have a 2 year old); I know a few people with young families who live around Grangegorman and they all highly recommended it.

As mentioned, there's a very good playground now in Grangegorman (tennis courts open to public too), and the campus should bring a lot of new business to the area (it already has great places to eat like Bocqueria & L Mulligans and nice places for coffee/snacks like Lilliput Stores and Love Supreme).

Hopefully the Educate Together in Grangegorman will get the permission it requires to expand as there's a lack of spaces there currently. Buses are very frequently into town - and of course the Luas cross-connector in 2017 means straight from Broadstone into Grafton St and beyond (there's tentative future plans for a station within the campus itself).

Have only just moved in and neighbours seem very friendly (I'm used to apartments where people keep to themselves mind). There seems to be a lot of local activity, like a history society, the "Sitric Picnic", a community garden, etc, etc. I hear the Scouts based on Aughrim St are pretty good too, with their own place up in Wicklow.

P.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 Tyrell Wellick

Definitely an area on the up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

Four Dublin Bikes stations for Grangegorman:

click link, scroll down to see map: http://irishcycle.com/2015/10/25/mini-expansion-of-dublinbikes-residents-disappointed-and-dismayed-at-station-locations/

Advertisement