Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't connect to new wireless printer

Options
  • 16-10-2015 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭

My Dad went out and bought a bottom of the barrel piece of crap printer from Canon, the Pixma MG2950 I believe. Anyway I just spent the last couple of hours trying to get it to print wirelessly with no joy. I have a windows 7 pc. I followed the instructions exactly, it prints when connected via the usb cable fine. I followed guide to setup up wireless printing using a usb cable but it doesn't work, it attempts to connect to printer and after 5 mins fails with an error saying "error connecting to wireless printer".
    I tried disabling the firewall and resetting my wireless router so there is no security but it is still not being detected.
    Anyone any ideas before I send this back?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

wireless printers have to be the biggest pain to configure. My parents have one and I truly sympathize with you, many swear words said trying to sort that thing! They have had Epsons and now a Canon, they are all a pain! One interesting thing I noticed is that wifi extenders can cause problems when plugged in and you are connected to it rather than the main router. If you have any Wifi extenders try removing them and re-running the setup. also use the USB option to setup the wireless instead of the WPS button, which never works in my experience with it!

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭backspacer

My best guess is that the WPS needs to be connected between the printer and router first. Switch on WPS on router and then hold down wi-fi button on printer to connect to router, this varies from manufacturer to manufacturer so check the booklet with it.

Once the two are connected then the PC should connect via the installed software wizard that comes with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

You're using the long version of the manual
    http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/6/0300015746/02/MG2900ser_OnlineManual_Win_EN_V02.pdf
    Page 190 and IJ network tool?

Is it an old or newish broadband router in the house? Using WPA2 Encryption method?

The setup page, printed using the method on page 185 can tell you whether the device has retrieved an IP address from your wireless router, using the right SSID / Password.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Thanks for the suggestion people but just brought it back and for €10 more got a HP printer where you can connect to the wifi network using a touch panel on the printer to input the password, so much easier. I'll never get those 3 hours back though :(

For anyone who comes across this I did try using the ijnetwork tool and that couldn't see the printer either. Also I'm not sure if the router has wps, it's just a bog standard netgear wireless g router? I think ressem your suggestion was probably most promising, I'd say the printer had not even connected to the wifi even when I disabled security completely.

Advertisement