Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time build €1000 - €1100

Options
  • 16-10-2015 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

1. What is your budget? €1000 - €1100

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Web Development / Gaming (Battlefront, Witcher 3, Fifa) / Photo & Video Storage and Editing (hobby)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No

5. Do you need a monitor? Yes

5a. If yes, what size do you need? Open to suggestion, 24" probably?

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? Keyboard/Mouse

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? No

8. How can you pay? Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser.

9. When are you purchasing? Now

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? No help needed

Will be able to claim the VAT back by purchasing through work so that might limit the choice of sites to purchase from?

Budget includes VAT for simplicity.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

i5 4460 €170
    B85 board €50
    8gb RAM €40
    500w PSU €60
    Case €70
    1tb HDD €50
    250gb SSD €90
    GTX970 €350
    Total €980

Spend the rest on a nice mouse and keyboard.

General lowish prices, may be initially higher depending on where you buy from.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 paddykelly6

Thanks a lot. Looks spot on. Where would you recommend to buy from in order to reclaim the VAT?

Any advice on monitors?

Have you to buy from Ireland, UK, EU, US etc?

I can buy from anywhere as long as they'll charge without the VAT. I have the company VAT number.

As far as I know (in my limited understanding) work can only reclaim the VAT if it's an Irish store?

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭lampsie

Heya,

I completed a vat-free purchase recently with mindfactory.de - you can enter VAT number during signup. I think the billing and shipping addresses need to match though..

Cheers,
    lamps

• Advertisement

Cheers lampsie, that's good to know. Will start there as the prices seem good.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭King_Joffery

lampsie wrote: »
    Heya,

I completed a vat-free purchase recently with mindfactory.de - you can enter VAT number during signup. I think the billing and shipping addresses need to match though..

Cheers,
    lamps
    Hi (sorry to high jack the thread) how much does one save using a vat number.? Is it 23% off the final price?

Thanks

King Joffrey, the German VAT rate is 19% rather than the Irish 23%. Still a decent saving

So here's what I've got. I bumped up the case, HDD and chose a modular PSU so a little over budget. Mindfactory charges €30 delivery per item for cases and monitors so I've priced them on Amazon instead. Also mindfactory doesnt seem to stock WD HDDs for some reason.

Should be able to save 19% from mindfactory and 20% from Amazon on VAT.

What do you reckon? Have I got everything covered?

mindfactory.de

Processor: Intel i5 4460 €170
    Motherboard: ASRock B85M Pro4 €60
    RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2x4GB) €40
    Power Supply: Be Quiet Pure Power L8 530W Modular €70
    Graphics Card: MSI GTX 970 4096MB GeForce €347
    SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 Evo €88
    Delivery: €30
    Subtotal: €910

Amazon.co.uk
    Case: Fractal Design R5 €105
    HDD: WD Red 2TB €95
    Monitor: Ben Q GL 2450 €162
    Cables: 2x SATA €6
    Subtotal: €263

Total: €1,173

You won't need the extra satas, but yeah its sound

• Advertisement

Ah ok, a colleague recommended I order a couple. Do they come with the parts then? Or the motherboard?

Also what do people do for a disc drive these days? Leave it out altogether?

There's two with the motherboard.

I think most people leave out the disc drive. I have one just in case, but it's never even plugged in.

Ah yeah, might look at an external I can move around with a netbook and macbook air.

Cheers for the advice.

Also for those interested mindfactory.de require more than just the company VAT number to take off the 19%. They require digital proof of VAT registration. Some certificate or the like. The guy who can provide it for me in the office is on holidays until Monday so I'll have to wait a few days :(

About to pull the trigger on this.

I notice the i5 6600 being recommended in a few threads recently. Is it worth the extra €50?

If so would it fit the rest of the build?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

About to pull the trigger on this.

I notice the i5 6600 being recommended in a few threads recently. Is it worth the extra €50?

If so would it fit the rest of the build?

You'd have to change mobo and RAM, usually a good bit more expensive for H170 mobos & DDR4 RAM.

Unless you're positive that you're going to be an upgrade-addict (swapping components every year (or less) I'd stick with the current build and wait 3-4 years, get the best bang for buck on the new socket-type as it will be refined and be a much more noticeable leap.

I'd choose a 390 over a 970 for GPU as it's cheaper and more powerful but either card will do in a rush.

Thanks for the help.

I probably wont change anything for at least a couple of years so I'll stick with the current build so.

Will the R9 390 work with the current build? Also which one would I need from mindfactory.de, there are a ton of variations?

This was the MSI GTX 970 4096MB GeForce

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

It will all piece together fine & the R5 has an absurd amount of space in it.
    The Sapphire 390 is the pick of the bunch.

Here's the HDD you couldn't find, saves €7.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,419 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

aren't red drives designed for NAS so 5900 rpm vs 7200 rpm?

Advertisement