Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blank screen on boot - new build

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

* Update

I removed the GPU and ran it using integrated graphics alone, I have a signal.

Anything I should take away from this? I will install the OS etc. now, I have a 650w PSU, am I missing something obvious? Thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Get it set up and try the GPU after.

Have a poke in the BIOS and see can you find a setting for enabling the GPU and integrated graphics simultaneously.

Card was inserted fully and all power cables connected correctly to it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The main thing is that it runs on integrated video; believe me, of all things that can go wrong, if its obviously the video card, it really is far less painless than it could be.

Obviously, it goes without saying, that with a dedicated card of any type installed, the motherboards outputs will not work. So the first port of call is to make sure that you have tried every output on the card itself.

I can't access your parts list at the moment due to boards errors, so the second thing would be to ensure that the card is correctly seated, and that the appropriate connectors are...well, connected to your video card. And that the cables are connected directly to it, and not the motherboard. Your spec is sound, so any error beyond all of this, and it could be a bad card.

I got it sorted using integrated graphics with GPU removed, installed everything and am on the GPU now, it's a relief as this is my first ever pc build and I thought I'd f*cked the cpu or mother board somehow putting things together.

I can't wait to use this machine, I have been using an over-clocked toshiba laptop for games for years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

a little POST-card would be handy if you are building yokes :

http://www.amazon.com/HDE-PCI-E-Analyzer-Diagnostic-Laptop/dp/B007OVKZD0

• Advertisement

This is a bit of a noob question but should the case fan speed vary? The case I got came with a fan and it is running at a set speed, it is connected to the case fan port on the mobo. Would an aftermarket fan have variable speed direct from the motherboard? For example the CPU fan does vary in speed.

Ideally I'd like the fan to run quietly while the computer isn't under heavy load.

Thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

This is a bit of a noob question but should the case fan speed vary? The case I got came with a fan and it is running at a set speed, it is connected to the case fan port on the mobo. Would an aftermarket fan have variable speed direct from the motherboard? For example the CPU fan does vary in speed.

Ideally I'd like the fan to run quietly while the computer isn't under heavy load.

Thanks guys

Depends if it is a 3pin fan or a 4 pin fan. Look at the connector, 4 pin fans can be controlled through the motherboard bios/uefi

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Depends if it is a 3pin fan or a 4 pin fan. Look at the connector, 4 pin fans can be controlled through the motherboard bios/uefi

The bios gives the option to adjust the case fan speed, but it doesn't seem to have any effect, I am guessing the fan is 3 pin so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Something like this will solve it. I'm sure if you look around you can find them cheaper/more locally.

Most boards will run 3-pins fine and not at full blast though, just make sure you don't have the 3-pin connect to a 4-pin port, connect it to a 3pin header.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

When you had your 390 plugged in did the fans startup?
    Did you have all the required power connectors plugged in?
    There is one 8 pin PCI-E and one 6 pin. As you can see in the picture here:
    http://i.imgur.com/nZyVTBa.png

It might go without saying. But when you startup the PC the HDMI / DVI should be plugged into the graphics card.

• Advertisement

Something like this will solve it. I'm sure if you look around you can find them cheaper/more locally.

Most boards will run 3-pins fine and not at full blast though, just make sure you don't have the 3-pin connect to a 4-pin port, connect it to a 3pin header.

The mobo is 4 pin but the case fan is 3 pin, I will probably just buy a 4 pin fan to replace it so

You could get a fan controller. Goes in place of an optical drive

You could get a fan controller. Goes in place of an optical drive

I'll probably just take advantage of the 4 pin output on the mobo as it will vary the speeds for me based on the bios settings which I think takes temperature into account. I am having no trouble with cooling just yet and stock clock speeds are maxing out all my games.

I'm delighted with the computer, the PSU is a bit crap (google cs650 fan noise if you want a reason to avoid corsair cs series psus despite their good listing on the toms hardware psu list) but I am going to return that and get an equivalent Antec.

Thanks for all the help guys!

I've a CM and it was loud as hell too, you can change the fan in it if you're confident, its really easy though.

You lose the warranty too though.

If you go with that you need a 2 pin fan, or an adapter. I've a BeQuiet fan in mine now, no noise at all

It's not just fan noise, it's a faulty fan which intermittently makes a grinding sound. I googled it and the cs650m is not made by Seasonic like other corsair PSUs but a cheaper manufacturer, the fan is pretty crap and prone to failure.

Given that the PSU is brand new and I ordered locally for the PSU and case I can just drive over this week and swap it out. I'm confident I could replace the fan for sure but I would rather warranty/sale protection and just return the faulty unit.

I have some spares left over now, the stock cooler, the wifi adaptor card I bought which doesn't fit (gpu is too large) and a spare low noise 3 pin case fan. If those are any use to any of you guys let me know or I'll just throw them up on adverts.

Advertisement