Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cake Tin Sizes

Options
  • 17-10-2015 1:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

Loaf Cake recipe called for a '3 pint loaf tin'. So I used the tin which would hold 3 pints of water. I could tell when the mixture was ready that the tin was too big but used it anyway. It's almost as flat as a pancake. These are the ingreds.

100g butter
    225g p. flour
    200g dried fruit
    50g chopped nuts
    100g dem. sugar
    1 level tsp baking power
    1 level tsp bicarb.
    150 ml milk

Rub in butter to flour, stir in fruit and nuts and sugar. Mix raising agents into the milk and pour into dry ingreds. Mix until dropping consistency. Bake 180 degrees for an hour.

Now I did reduce the temperature to 160 as I have a fan oven.

I can't tell if the problem was too much raising agents, too big a tin, or too low temperature, or a combination of all three. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭leck

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Loaf Cake recipe called for a '3 pint loaf tin'. So I used the tin which would hold 3 pints of water. I could tell when the mixture was ready that the tin was too big but used it anyway. It's almost as flat as a pancake...
    I can't tell if the problem was too much raising agents, too big a tin, or too low temperature, or a combination of all three. Any suggestions?
    No eggs? Also odd that the recipe asks to rub in butter to flour and sugar is added later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I agree about the eggs. I make another fruit loaf which has an egg in it but this one doesn't. The recipe must be a dud although I got it in a Good Housekeeping cookbook.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

That's more a 2lb loaf tin quantity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

2lb? Still befuddled! I wish the companies that make baking tins would put the actual size on them, like with shoes. :) Measuring doesn't mean squat when recipes call for pint size or lb. size.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2008/nov/08/source-it-loaf-tins-beetroots

I also think of loaf tins in terms of their bread-weight. So your 3pt loaf tin would seem to be my 2lb loaf tin. 3lb loaf tins are masssive. I've a 1lb loaf tin that's handy for when the 2lb isn't enough for a recipe or if it's a very tiny loaf of bread.

(my 2lb loaf of bread is 450g flour / 350g water/ 7g yeast/ 50g horlicks)

This second site lets you convert volume tins into cm dimensions http://www.joyofbaking.com/PanSizes.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

Not the answer to your original question but the size on cake tins really annoys me. I always carry a measuring tape in my bag for lots of things but cake tins are something you must check. Tins sold as for example 9" round will measure 9" from edge of rim to edge of rim but the actual part that holds the cake will be nearer to 8". This is repeated for lots of different sizes, especially so in sandwich tin types. Very irritating and how are people supposed to get correct result when the tins aren't labelled correctly.

I have brought it to the attention of several shops but I know they just thought I was a cranky auld wan!

Advertisement