Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015/16 - Mod Note in OP, 14/12

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

First thing needed is a striker, then a powerful CM, then a wide man (assuming Matip is nailed on for CB) before another 10/9.5/aux winger type. Really need to get Markovic back, I think Klopp needs to make a very direct appeal to him if the rumours about Fenerbahce are true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I think Klopp needs to make a very direct appeal to him if the rumours about Fenerbahce are true.

What are the rumours?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭AidySevenfold

They're going to sign him for 10 million Euros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Morata could be one to look out for. Not a regular at Juventus & if Real don't buy him back I would target him. Krychowiak as a DM would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭ronjo

On the dangerous assumption that you get no more injuries tonight, what would be the expected line up for Wednesdays game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

What I'd fear is the constant Coutinho to Barca rumours coming true (although his performances would need to improve bigtime for that to happen) then only having Firmino and Lallana, and I definately don't rate the latter as being a good enough CAM for LFC.

Salah would be a gamble, struggled in the PL last time he was here - what about Bellarabi from Bayer Leverkusen? Good pacey winger who's now a German international.

With Coutinho's recent performances, I don't think we have anything to worry about!! Firmino and Lallana is a good duo to have as a CAM if we have actual wingers on either side of them. I know I'm in the minority, but I do rate Lallana. A front three of, say, Bellarabi-Firmino-Milner, with Lallana, Ibe and Markovic as back up - it's not too bad.

Re: Salah, he didn't get too much of a chance here really iir. Maybe Im remembering wrong, but I thought the majority of his time was as a sub coming into games that were already won. He's a very un-Mourinho type player so I think he never got a fair shot.

Alternatives, Bellarabi as you've mentioned, also Andre Schurrle? I thought he was very good at Chelsea and have a Chelsea supporting friend who was devastated when he was sold. Again, never got a clear run in the side under Jose because of the type of player his is. Still only 25 and could do a job for sure without breaking the bank for us.
    rumoured line up for tonight:

Bogdan, Randall, Illori, Enrique, Smith, Stewart, Brannagan, Kent, Teixeira, Ojo, Sinclair

I'm very excited to see this game if this is the case...

Wow.

Who wears the armband? Enrique?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Wow.

Bogdan, Enrique, Brannagan??

ronjo wrote: »
    On the dangerous assumption that you get no more injuries tonight, what would be the expected line up for Wednesdays game?

Mignolet

Clyne
    Ilori
    Lucas
    Moreno

Can
    Allen

Milner

Lallana
    Ibe

Firmino

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Colemania

Bogdan, Randall, Illori, Enrique, Smith, Stewart, Brannagan, Kent, Teixeira, Ojo, Sinclair

Sinclair, brannagan and Randall would be the only ones without experience at professional level so I'd be expecting that team to win still. With Smith on the field, a target man would be ideal to get on the end of his crosses. Where's Micheal Ngoo these days? :P Could have once had a front 3 of Ngoo, Amoo and Ngog :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Colemania

Mignolet

Clyne
    Ilori
    Lucas
    Moreno

Can
    Allen

Milner

Lallana
    Ibe

Firmino

Ibe injured too...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Mignolet

Clyne
    Ilori
    Lucas
    Moreno

Can
    Allen

Milner

Lallana
    Ibe

Firmino

Injured Ibe aside. Klopp has all but said youngsters are going to be playing. There's no way the line up will be close to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭garra

I think its great but I love the kids (in a good way), either they will take the chance to raise their prospects within the club certainly for the rest of this season or they will disgrace themselves and many never be seen again. Make or break.

Just a pity its only a struggling League Two side.....:pac:

Tonight we will have the chance to check out the lads you are always bangin on about! :D Would be great if you did the match thread to give us a shake-down of the kids (in a good way).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭ronjo

magma69 wrote: »
    Injured Ibe aside. Klopp has all but said youngsters are going to be playing. There's no way the line up will be close to that.

It was an answer to my question about the Arsenal game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Lacazetti turned down a 22 million move to Newcastle.

Why didn't we bid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

MD1990 wrote: »
    Morata could be one to look out for. Not a regular at Juventus & if Real don't buy him back I would target him. Krychowiak as a DM would be great.

Was the one player I wanted more than any back when we had a mostly fit squad. Would love to see him and Henderson/Can/Allen in the centre.

Been some links with Arsenal already this window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Vex Willems

Wow.

That would be some come back from outcast to captaining the team on his return! :eek:

Vicxas wrote: »

Why didn't we bid?

Are the owners even making transfer funds available? Klopp saying he's going to work with the players he has could be code for not being given funds. Who knows?

ronjo wrote: »
    It was an answer to my question about the Arsenal game.

Ah my mistake. :o Didn't read it properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

magma69 wrote: »
    Are the owners even making transfer funds available? Klopp saying he's going to work with the players he has could be code for not being given funds. Who knows?

20M available if you believe the papers but I don't think Klopp is one for spending for the sake of it. Especially in January. He might not have a choice though given the injuries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Why didn't we bid?

Bar one game against Saint Etienne he's been poor all season. Obvious lack of effort in comparison to what he was like last season.

Whether it's a case of one season wonder or sulking because he didn't get a big move over the summer, I'd be hesitant to pay £22m now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Not sure Gotze is what we need. Very good player but injury prone . We have enough AMs. Need to target a quick winger.

If this happened it would most likely be a summer signing. So someone would most likely be sold in a similar position.

I don't get this attitude that 'we have enough in X position' and completely ignore the quality.

Some just seem to focus on the quantity, which is clear not good enough as we have won sweet feck all in years.

Why didn't we bid?

Klopp wasn't that pushed about the January transfer window until recently, and then it takes a while to establish suitable targets and get the finances sorted. Newcastle have probably being gearing themselves up for that bid for weeks / months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Picking Enrique at CB will be like new signing. I expect it to galvanise the squad.

Think about it, all the first teamers missing tonight will be sitting about pissing themselves at the thought. They'll bond like never before. it'll be like the ol' drinking sessions of the days gone by.

I can't wait for the first time he gets the ball, facing the play, sees that 20 yards of clear green grass ahead of him, and just thoughtlessly gallops into. He'll find himself by the left corner flag before he knows it, going full 360.

I myself have never been more excited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

If Gotze was available and willing to come to us we would have to sign him no matter how many players we have in that position.

He is a marquee signing and would help massively with our player profile and it would make a statement that Liverpool now want to buy top tier players again.

Not to mention he is head and shoulders above the three guys we have there at the minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,824 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I hope that is the exact team that goes out tonight. Teixeira absolutely needs to start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Strange that people are so vocally unhappy with Benteke right now. In a team that struggles for goals, he averages one every 2.5 league games and has accounted for 27% of our league goals while averaging only 57 minutes per game. Half of his league goals have won us all 3 points (Bournemouth, Leicester and Sunderland). He also scored the winner vs. Bordeaux in the game that sealed progression to the round of 32.

He's far from perfect, and he may not be entirely suited to Klopp's Liverpool, but of all the problems the team has right now, he's way down the list.

Would agree that he isn't the main problem but those stats don't the things about him that people have a problem with...how static he can be up front, how when he does run he makes the exact same run as a teammate, his tendency to be dragged out onto the wing, how weak he is against defenders, the simple chances he has missed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

I hope that is the exact team that goes out tonight. Teixeira absolutely needs to start.

In spite of all the well-publicised injuries, I fully expect the usual suspects to absolutely pillory us for "disrespecting the cup". Not least whichever waffle-merchants are on the Beeb, who are behind the scheduling of the match at a time that makes it impossible for actual scousers to get home tonight from the match by train.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Bar one game against Saint Etienne he's been poor all season. Obvious lack of effort in comparison to what he was like last season.

Whether it's a case of one season wonder or sulking because he didn't get a big move over the summer, I'd be hesitant to pay £22m now.

Think he actually turned down teams in the summer to, wanted 100% football for the euros. Then again I heard he wanted Arsenal, could be waiting for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

murpho999 wrote: »
    If this happened it would most likely be a summer signing. So someone would most likely be sold in a similar position.

I don't get this attitude that 'we have enough in X position' and completely ignore the quality.

Some just seem to focus on the quantity, which is clear not good enough as we have won sweet feck all in years.

We don't need quality but rather quality in the right places.

We have finite resources and its hard to imagine that a player like Gotze would be a cosy effective way of using it.

He won't be much more effective than what's here if we still have no width and nobody to put the ball away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Gbear wrote: »

We have finite resources and its hard to imagine that a player like Gotze would be a cosy effective way of using it.

He won't be much more effective than what's here if we still have no width and nobody to put the ball away.

Agree. There's world class players out there that if we spent massive money on them would look extremely average in out squad.

Can't help but think what a massive loss Sterling is at the moment, considering his pace and ability to play up front also.

• Advertisement

Hard to agree with this. He would be far more effective than the likes of Lallana. He is only 23, is an attacking midfielder who scores approx 1 in 3. As he moves into his prime, it's entirely possible he could become even more productive.

Having quality in attacking areas is vital to get top 4 imo and Gotze is top class

Agree. There's world class players out there that if we spent massive money on them would look extremely average in out squad.

Can't help but think what a massive loss Sterling is at the moment, considering his pace and ability to play up front also.

Sterling was always going to be a massive loss, not least because he has scored more than any of our players this season. As you say, his pace is sorely lacking from our team at the moment, but his movement and intelligence are top class.

Hard to agree with this. He would be far more effective than the likes of Lallana. He is only 23, is an attacking midfielder who scores approx 1 in 3. As he moves into his prime, it's entirely possible he could become even more productive.

Having quality in attacking areas is vital to get top 4 imo and Gotze is top class

Lallana is absolute pants and is stealing a living.

He's not that bad. Like so many of our players, would be a fantastic backup/squad player. His price tag is now irrelevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

and don't forget about Glen Johnson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Consider the old Zidane quote about Makelele - you've sold the engine to add another layer of gold paint.

In this case its the opportunity cost rather than losing any individual but the principle is the same. You can't just throw money at talented players if your squad won't be balanced.

It might be worth getting him in as a long term top class player, probably failing as a team but being in a great position in later windows, but by adding players to the areas of the squad where we have the most depth we'd be sacrificing short term success.

Gotze's numbers wouldn't be as flattering if he had, at best, Danny Ings as our main goal scorer.

It's bollocks anyway of course - he'd have
    his pick of European heavyweights, but even if Klopp managed to sufficiently flutter his eyelashes at him, it'd only work for the squad if we had enough money left over to get another top goal scorer.

That has to be priority number one. Anyone else is just polishing the turd.

He's not that bad. Like so many of our players, would be a fantastic backup/squad player. His price tag is now irrelevant.

How do you judge a player that you don't bring through yourself? By the price you pay and his wages.

If we paid £5m for him I'd say ok, a good acquisition for the outlay.

But the fact that we paid what we did means we judge him by different set of standards. He is pants based on his wage and price stag.

At the time he was signed I was very excited by him but for whatever reason he has just not cut the mustard. Maybe its because he got his big move to a big club and a big wage that he's happy enough to believe he's "made it".

Consider the old Zidane quote about Makelele - you've sold the engine to add another layer of gold paint.

In this case its the opportunity cost rather than losing any individual but the principle is the same. You can't just throw money at talented players if your squad won't be balanced.

It might be worth getting him in as a long term top class player, probably failing as a team but being in a great position in later windows, but by adding players to the areas of the squad where we have the most depth we'd be sacrificing short term success.

Gotze's numbers wouldn't be as flattering if he had, at best, Danny Ings as our main goal scorer.

It's bollocks anyway of course - he'd have
    his pick of European heavyweights, but even if Klopp managed to sufficiently flutter his eyelashes at him, it'd only work for the squad if we had enough money left over to get another top goal scorer.

That has to be priority number one. Anyone else is just polishing the turd.

This. If Sturridge wasn't so injury prone he'd fit the bill. His movement, pace and obvious ability to finish makes him top class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Kenny Dalglish appointed as manager for his second spell 5 years ago today:)

not sure Gotze is a big upgrade on Coutinho & Firmino. Been inconsistent by all accounts & I think we need pace.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Its a smokescreen we are after reus :P

What about the possibility of buying more than one player in the summer. If Klopp goes for him I'm sure he has a plan.
    not sure Gotze is a big upgrade on Coutinho & Firmino. Been inconsistent by all accounts & I think we need pace.

Both the players you are referring to are both inconsistent as well.

I find it strange how people here seem to think that our failures over the last 7-10 years are nothing to do with the players that we have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Kenny Dalglish appointed as manager for his second spell 5 years ago today:)

I don't know if that feels like ages ago or wow was it only 5 years ago!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

There really would be no point to buying someone like Gotze (which Bayern have rubbished) until the striker issue is resolved.

Milik
    -Firmino-Coutinho-Markovic
    Xhaka---Hendo
    Moron--Sakho-Lovren-Clyne
    GK

GK, Matip, Can, Flanno, Lallana, Sturridge, Origi, Ibe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Gotze would really be a luxury buy, he's not what we need right now.

What we need is a striker that can score goals and move, is that too much to ask?

Also, does anyone else hope Ojo pulls a Kane and is an absolute goal scoring machine after being on loan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Massive gamble currently taking place on Exeter 15/2 in to 4/1
    Liverpool side must be awful tonight

What about the possibility of buying more than one player in the summer. If Klopp goes for him I'm sure he has a plan.

Both the players you are referring too are both inconsistent as well.

I find it strange how people here seem to think that our failures over the last 7-10 years are nothing to do with the players that we have.
    so we buy another inconsistent AM. Quit putting words in my mouth. Have u seen Gotze play last few years? He has not been very good at Bayern at all. We need a Striker,Winger & a DM much more than another AM. My guess is not many have actually seen Gotze for Bayern & just want him because of his reputation & that he scored in the World Cup final.

On league form Exeter are the 80th best team in England, but we are fielding an assortment of youth / past it already (Enrique) and loanee-players who haven't played much ball ... This group will never have played as a team before and don't know whats expected of them in terms of defending or formation. The odds are skewed in favour of a cupset.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭slingerz

i got them at 9/2 and with the rumoured side including Randall, Ilori, Smith, Brannagan, Ojo, Teixeria, Kent, Sinclair its worth a shot

dont think those lads will have experienced such an occasion or atomsphere before

• Advertisement

so we buy another inconsistent AM. Quit putting words in my mouth. Have u seen Gotze play last few years? He has not been very good at Bayern at all. We need a Striker,Winger & a DM much more than another AM. My guess is not many have actually seen Gotze for Bayern & just want him because of his reputation & that he scored in the World Cup final.

How am I putting words in your mouth?

The issue is no so much Gotze, but every time a signing here is mentioned. someone will come here and say, no we have player 'x' in that position, we're fine.

For example some here don't think that Skrtel should be upgraded.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement