Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Photos with 80ed

Options
  • 17-10-2015 9:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭

IMG_0163_1.jpg

Globular%20cluster0002.jpg

Taken with canon 600d and skywatcher 80ed. 1*90 sec iso 800. Need to get some stacking and image processing software, i'm using a mac so looks like options are limited. Any recommendations for software or should i invest in a windows laptop?

Got the telescope last week from Ktec Telescopes, highly recommended.

☀️

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭murphyme2010

Great Photos.

Some of the lads on the IFAS forum (www.irishastronomy.org) have macs.
    It might be worth putting a post up there.

Michael.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭allinthehead

Captured this on Sunday night. No stacking yet, just single frame. Iso 1600 for 60 seconds. Processed in photoshop.

andromedaphoto.jpg

☀️

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Kersh

Beautiful, what gear did you use? The 80ED again?

Its a huge step up from the previous ones, superb.

Kersh wrote: »
    Beautiful, what gear did you use? The 80ED again?

Its a huge step up from the previous ones, superb.

Hi kersh, thanks. Yes 80ed again, I spent more time setting up, better polar alignment and focus, finding photoshop better than gimp too. This was also taken at about 20:00 with neighbours lights on, so hoping to get better next time. Just downloaded DSS too so I would imagine loads more detail to come.

Would the focal reducer help?

Forgot to mention this was with the EQ3 synscan mount with remote capture using eos utility.

☀️

Would the focal reducer help?

It will make the scope faster, so you will collect more light on the sensor for a given exposure. Also, it will give you a wider field of view.
    Additionally, it will flatten the field somewhat, so the corners should show rounder stars. :)

• Advertisement

Does the camera connect directly onto the focal reducer?

☀️

Does the camera connect directly onto the focal reducer?

Yep, using an M48 T-Ring rather then the normal m42 one.
    http://www.ktectelescopes.ie/Canon-M48-x-0-75-Adaptor.html

One from last night. The pleiades. 5 lights, darks, and bias. Iso 800 for 60 seconds. Stacked in DSS, edited in photoshop. canon 600d, 80ed with focal reducer. Only had time for 5 of each as i was testing out new setup. I ran a cat5e cable through the kitchen wall connecting from the laptop(in the kitchen) to a 4 port usb hub strapped to a leg of the mount, allowing control over the mount and camera from the kitchen table.:D

482a5a00-b553-4be7-98a5-5bb8da399f8f.jpg

☀️

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Just saw your M31 there now, that's a marvellous image for a newbie.

Cigar and bodes from lastnight.
    Stack of 50 lights, 20 darks, 20 flats, 20 bias. 40 second exposures at iso 800. Moon was very bright, and intermittent cloud and wind.

5b486756-9110-4536-bf68-323f9700ecbe.jpg

☀️

• Advertisement

Crop and slight reprocess.

cigar2crop.jpg

☀️

Got some clear skies last night so i decided to give m31 a proper go. 10 subs in and my battery died. Need to get a mains traffo for the mount! Anyway lesson learned and wasn't a complete waste.

9 60 second subs at 800 iso

7e412c3e-583b-421e-9acd-67d6ca9ec571.jpg

☀️

Great imaging session last night managed to take about 90 lights with about 30 thrown out due to mount error.

47 lights at 1600 for 60 secs
    19 bias
    19 darks

Taken with canon 600d through sw 80ed on eq3 syscan

I also took about 16 frames at 800 iso for the core but i haven't figured out how to blend them in photoshop.

orion3_1.jpg

☀️

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

That's beautiful!

Absolutely superb images. Plenty of detail in both :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Wailin

Great images well done! Regarding blending two images of different exposure in photoshop-it's not too bad really. Plenty of youtube tutorials on it and also join Astronomyshed http://www.astronomyshed.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=19 as they have a great tutorial section on everything from set ups to post processing, stacking etc.

Here is another handy way but I found videos more helpful:
    http://www.astropix.com/HTML/J_DIGIT/LAYMASK.HTM

Keep it up and keep posting. A guidescope might be the next step and you will be blown away by the results.

Thanks for the comments and links. I was thinking about guiding recently, but i don't know if the eq3 is up to the task. As it stands i throw away about 30% of the frames i get so if i was getting 5 minute plus frames that would be a huge amount of waste and i assume the percentage of waste would increase with exposure time. Maybe a heq5 is the way to go. I was thinking about making a pier in the garden for permanent setup.

Added another 50 lights, darks, and bias to the existing data i had for Orion.

croporionfinal2_1.jpg

☀️

An EQ3?! Even more impressive! I would think the NEQ5 would be the minimum requirement for astro. I have the same scope as you, ED80, but use the NEQ6 pro mount. Overkill you might think but when you start adding guidescopes and other bits and bobs the weight starts climbing. I think you can forget the guidescope for now with that mount. This is my kit (not used in awhile unfortunately:pac:)
    8647390615_95b301b4e3_c.jpgAstrophotography set up by Tony, on Flickr
    The ED80 is a great little scope though. Do you use a flattener with it?

Ya i have the reducer/flattener. Nice setup you have there. What's that between the focuser and the reducer? The eq3 is great as i can take it on holidays, and i leave everything assembled in the kitchen and just carry it outside. For the pier i'm planning, maybe the neq6 is the way to go so. Big money tho.

☀️

That's just the focusing tube racked out a bit. The eq6 is quiet expensive, but for it's accuracy, weight and build quality it is one of the best value mounts of that type on the market. All the other competitors are far more expensive, well last time I checked anyway. You must have nice dark skies to be opting for a pier, lucky you! Not the most pleasant experience lugging that gear down to Wicklow on freezing nights.

• Advertisement

I'm in a small housing estate in East Cork, about 30 miles from Cork City so not much in the way of light pollution as long as the neighbors remember to turn their lights off. Looks like there's huge weight in your setup.

☀️

Very heavy, but everything is set up on site so the heaviest part would be the head of the mount. Heavy means stability though and with the guide scope it's possible to do subs of 15 min or more if I wanted.

Couple of snaps from last night.

jupitermoons.jpg

moon.jpg

☀️

Excellent. I was also observing Jupiter last night - saw Io emerge from eclipse after midnight but clouded out for the Ganymede occultation around 2am.

What were you observing with Mick?

☀️

6 inch Nexstar.

With the lovely weather i decided to do a reprocess of Orion using new techniques i've learned over the last couple of weeks such as sharpening using overlay mode, and smoothed layers for noisy backround, and layer masks for brightening, or darkening specific areas. There's a mountain of info on the forums and i have a copy of making every photon count. I fear i've become obsessed.

noelsorion-1.jpg

☀️

6 inch Nexstar.

Nice views with that?

☀️

Nice views with that?

Happy enough with it. Not suitable for AP of course but I wanted a fair-sized aperture without losing the grab and go option.

• Advertisement

Anyone know where/if i can get a dslr astro modified in Ireland?

☀️

Advertisement