Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP Pavillion 15 P-199sa from PC World

Options
  • 17-10-2015 10:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Hey guys,

My laptop wont start into windows now, it just goes into startup repair and stops at 10%. I installed AVG, and ran AVG Tune Up, it told me restart, and I restarted, and this is where my problem started.

I bought it from PC World in January this year.

Am I still in warranty?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Am I still in warranty?

If it's a hardware problem, yes. If it's something you did to the Windows installation, it's probably down to you to fix it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 ShadowR34per

If its a hardware problem, will I get back my data? If They fix it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

If its a hardware problem, will I get back my data? If They fix it?

The best you can really hope for is they won't go out of their way to destroy your data. If it survives the fix, all well and good but you won't get any guarantees.

What's happening when you switch the laptop on? If you can describe it I should be able to point you in the direction of one of the other boards so you get some help with troubleshooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

If the problem is a defective device (eg faulty memory) then you have rights to have the seller resolve the problem or be refunded. These rights are law and would normally still apply even if your manufacturer's guarantee has expired.
    However if you do something to cause the problem, such as install software, then the seller has no obligation to you for that type of problem.

If you want technical advice I suggest you try the Laptops forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

AVG tune up utilities will go into the OS software and delete things it doesn't think is needed. It prompts you when you run the clean option. This is free software so the manufacturer and shop you bought from mshould be well within their rights to charge you for a repair.

Word of advice when buying a laptop or desktop in future create some kind of recovery media and keep it safe. At least this way if you get a problem pop in the recovery disc if theres still a problem then it pretty much guarentees hardware and should be fixed under warranty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

It's not a warranty issue because it's your own installation of avg that causes the problem.

You need to do a Windows repair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

try to get into Safe Mode on starting your laptop and then do a system restore to bring you back to before you installed the software.

Alternatively, Safe Mode and then add remove programs to delete the tune up software.

to get to safe mode. restart and press F8 repeatedly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 ShadowR34per

Its ok, I went to PC World and they did what jimmycrackcorn said for free

Advertisement