Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a new challenge

Options
  • 17-10-2015 11:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭

I'm a full time seasoned linux user, I've progressed in the last 7-8 years through Ubuntu and various flavours of Debian to Fedora as my full time OS. I need something new to challenge me. This is going on my laptop as a full time laptop OS. It's a Samsung R540 from 2010 with i3 M350 2.27Ghz with 4GB ram and mechanical drive. Suggestions please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Arch sounds like the next appropriate progression if you have not tried. Superb distro and community, unbelievable wiki & documentation, and also Yaourt & the AUR are a nerds wet dream imo :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Stuxnet wrote: »
    Arch sounds like the next appropriate progression if you have not tried. Superb distro and community, unbelievable wiki & documentation, and also Yaourt & the AUR are a nerds wet dream imo :)

Sounds like a good plan, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Arch or Gentoo would be my suggestion - I've done a few Arch installs from scratch but not gone near Gentoo yet - that's my next conquest I think! :)

As the last person said, Arch is fantastic, and I've always found it nice and stable for a rolling, bleeding edge distro.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Role your own with LFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

LFS++

• Advertisement

Itzy wrote: »
    Role your own with LFS.

Now that is interesting, must read up on it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I've been considering an easy introduction to Arch by installing Manajaro, and maybe move on after getting familiar.

I think LSF is for masochists :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I think LSF is for masochists :D

evil-genius-racoon.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

FreeBSD?

I had it on my laptop a few years ago. Documentation was excellent but the community a bit prickly.

Solaris with a Java based Desktop Environment for the win!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Solaris with a Java based Desktop Environment for the win!

Its confirmed. You're a masochist.

syklops wrote: »

There's something we can agree on :D The OP did ask for a challenge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭booooring!

Get a Linux certification perhaps?

syklops wrote: »

Ha! I think I've found my next distro!

https://github.com/silascutler/Masochistic-Linux

Hehehehehehe ......
    A fork of Suicide Linux

maxresdefault.jpg

All jokes aside, I suppose Slackware might be a start. That or Gentoo.

Was the last release really 2013?

http://www.slackware.com/index.html

Maybe I missed something ...

Was the last release really 2013?

http://www.slackware.com/index.html

Maybe I missed something ...

Not sure. Must look into it.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I think I'm going to go with Arch for now. It's the easiest and quickest setup as this is my everyday laptop and I don't have the time to take days getting this setup. I'm also going to investigate the other suggestions, play with them in a vm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Thanks for all the suggestions, I think I'm going to go with Arch for now. It's the easiest and quickest setup as this is my everyday laptop and I don't have the time to take days getting this setup. I'm also going to investigate the other suggestions, play with them in a vm

If you're going for Arch, could I suggest this handy installer:

http://jadelinux.com/tutorials/installarcheasy.html

Might save you a bit of time!

• Advertisement

http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major

Link to the major distributions available.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 vinegar_zombie

Gentoo is so complex ,that it become a meme on 4chan technology section :) if you have some free time , why not learn Brainfu*k programming language ?
    Hello World:
    ++++++++++[>+++++++>++++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>++.>+.+++++++..+++.>++.<<+++++++++++++++.>.+++.------.--------.>+.>.

This does look interesting ...... maybe if I get the urge .......

http://www.voidlinux.eu/

Currently running FreeBSD at the moment. I do prefer working with the CLI only at times. Makes it harder for anyone in my house to fuck with my machine when I'm not around and have something running.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭ishotjr2

FreeBSD no challenge :) really like FreeBSD

Plan9 I think is a challenge.

That could be a weekend project.

Major setback, had planned on doing this week but now the laptop has packed in, doesn't boot. Had a few issues with it, POS is not worth giving any more time so I'm going to have to invest.

Strip it down and scrap it for parts. You should be able to get 30-40 for a 15.6'' screen if it's not damaged. If you have a CEX store near by, you could wipe the hard drive, which you'll get a euro for with the Ram.

Strip it down and scrap it for parts. You should be able to get 30-40 for a 15.6'' screen if it's not damaged. If you have a CEX store near by, you could wipe the hard drive, which you'll get a euro for with the Ram.

I fix pcs so I'll keep it as spares. In fact bought 2 of these Samsung laptops at the same time about 4 years ago. This is a combination of what's left working from both. First packed in after about 2 years (heatsink leaked coolant) so I had a full set of spares. Might swap over the voltage regulator later see if I can buy some time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement