Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Howard Kendall dies aged 69

• 17-10-2015 11:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/34560155
    Kendall played for the Toffees and managed them on three occasions, with his first spell in charge being the most successful in the club's history.

He led the side to two First Division titles, as well as an FA Cup triumph and European Cup Winners' Cup win.

Kendall also took charge of Blackburn, Manchester City, Notts County and Sheffield United in more than 700 games of his managerial career.

More to follow.

Very sad news. Very much one of those household names from when I started following football anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

yes very sad indeed RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Very sad. That was a truly great Everton team he built in the mid eighties. One of the best in Europe.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,697 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

69 - that's no age at all

He was one of those guys who showed you could be a manager, successful, and still be a really nice guy

Very sad news

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Was gutted when I heard this news. An Everton legend as both a player and a manager. There's not many in Evertons long history who could be held in such high esteem.

He would have been at Goodison Park today. Hopefully we get a replay of one of his teams finest performances.

One of those real turn arounds, he was doing poorly at Everton and looked like he was getting the chop and midway through 83/84 things just clicked. From then on they were pretty much unstoppable for the mid 80s until the lack of a European football really strangled them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Gutted!!

Met him about 25 years ago in Dublin, nice fella!

Everton have to beat Man Utd today - for Howard Kendall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I'm shocked that he was only 69 given that he's management heyday was 20+ years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

A true gent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

I'd always look at how Kendall carried himself with dignity and class and then look at someone like Joe Royle who was choked with bitterness. Really admired Kendall.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I'm shocked that he was only 69 given that he's management heyday was 20+ years ago.

That was my reaction as well. I remember him as manager in the 80's, and would have thought he was about 10 years older for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

5starpool wrote: »
    That was my reaction as well. I remember him as manager in the 80's, and would have thought he was about 10 years older for some reason.

He was Player/manager when he took the Everton job in 81. So he wasn't that old for a manager at that time:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Sad news....R.I.P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Very sad news. Rivalries mean nothing. RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

The 85 to 87 team was superb, maybe 86 the best of the lot despite missing out on the double, it was a shame he couldn't sustain his success like SAF or Wenger, great manager and man, RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

True Everton legend and probably the best player to never be capped by England. Really enjoyed his autobiography and a sad loss. Rip Howard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Never realised he was such a young man when he won his first title with Everton. Was top of the list to replace Bobby Robson as England manager - but passed on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

A great manager of a great side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Very Bored

dd972 wrote: »
    The 85 to 87 team was superb, maybe 86 the best of the lot despite missing out on the double, it was a shame he couldn't sustain his success like SAF or Wenger, great manager and man, RIP.

He perhaps could have done, but he wanted to test himself in European competitions and at the time he couldn't do it in England so he left for Bilbao and unfortunately he never scaled the same heights again. Perhaps because football changed completely in that time. If you look at the money he spent on constructing his Everton team, it was really nothing, even by the standards of those days. He bought a lot of players who others thought were has beens, like Andy Gray, those who had never made it, like Kevin Sheedy, and those others hadn't noticed like Neville Southall and turned them into brilliant players. Afterwards, money took over and changed the game.

There are, perhaps, reasons why he has died so young. You only need read Neville Southall's autobiography for an insight into that. However, it would be crass to discuss the reasons here and it is far better to reflect on his achievements and what he gave to football as a whole. Hopefully the Kendall family will find a way through this difficult time. RIP Howard, the man who discovered my favourite ever player, Neville Southall.

Advertisement