Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie gardening question

Options
  • 17-10-2015 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Hi all,

I've just bought a house and just attempted to do some gardening. Our front garden is mostly gravel with just a corner raised up. It's currently filled with weeds and shrubs and bark instead of soil. Under the bark is a big black plastic sheet. Which I've been told is for drainage?

My question is how do I plant plants with this? Do I just put some top soil on top or will that not work?

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

I'm guessing what you have is weed control fabric. This is to prevent weeds infesting the bed, any weeds that are there should be very easy to pull out.

In order to plant into the soil under the fabric just cut a cross shape in the fabric, pull back the 4 slits and plant into the hole, pull the fabric back around the base of the plant and away you go.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what sort of plastic? is it a woven sheet which is permeable, or is it a solid sheet?

Advertisement