Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Desperately seeking advice- photo attached

• 17-10-2015 12:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I really hope that someone will be able to help me out here, as I'm heartbroken for our poor collie, who's about 18 months old. Twice in the last month or so, she's had seizures in groups of 3 first, and most recently 8 in the space of two hours.

The vet has written it off as epilepsy and has prescribed medication, but I'm convinced that it has an underlying cause. Her back legs go through phases of being really weak and giving way, and her eyes have been kinda glazed over since her second group of seizures which was about 3 days ago.

I was sitting out with her this morning and froze when I saw something on her fur. I picked it up with a bit of tissue and ran to get someone to have a second look, but they said it was probably just a louse or something and to throw it away.

My first thought was something like a tick that could have caused Lyme disease (which I've since ruled out), but I'm just hoping that someone will be able to identify it from the photo. I know it could be something simple and could just be some kind of flea or something, but if anyone could help me to identify it, I would be so grateful.

Apologies for the essay, I think I needed to vent a little bit. Apologies if this is possibly in breach of charter, but I'm really not looking for medical advice; just to identify this insect or maybe some suggestions from anyone who's been through the same thing.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭fathead82

Sorry to hear about you dog.I doubt that insect has anything to do with his condition, I could be wrong but it looks like an earwig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭tradhead

Thanks for your message. Maybe it's not a great picture, but it's definitely not an earwig, it's shorter and fatter with longer pincers (or antlers or whatever you call them!!). I know I'm clutching at straws but I just thought it was worth a shot that somebody might know what it is. Thanks again :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭fathead82

Has it any legs? To me, it looks like the bottom half of an earwig. The half that has the head and legs is missing.

If you're not happy with the advice given by the Vet, go to another one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

I agree with fathead, I think its an earwig with the head missing! Its horrible to have to go through watching your dog unwell, I really feel for you but you do sound like you don't have a huge amount of confidence in your vet so you should change vets. Some vets truly are way better than others both in manner and skill , and finding the right one can make such a difference when dealing with a long term condition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭148multi

Have a working collie that suffers from epilepsy, she is in her 14th year and it has not affected her quality of life or work. The epilepsy seems to affect her as a secondary symptom, when she has a raised temp or after an anesthetic and hot weather can trigger it. She is not affected by the epilepsy during activities and dose not seem to know the fits have happened although frightening to watch. Looks like half an earwig, take care and enjoy the company of your collie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

If you're not happy with the vet's diagnosis get a second opinion. My vet is fantastic - explains everything to me is always there to give advice if I have any questions and always asks my opinions. She even emails me the blood test results lol! Your vet sounds a bit dismissive which I wouldn't like at all - are they are a large animal vet by any chance who often aren't the best for small animals/pets? Have they even done blood tests or taking your concerns onboard?

I hope you find an answer for your poor dog!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

That is an earwig's abdomen. No doubt about it.

OP, I have an epileptic dog, and what you describe sounds pretty normal to be honest. My wee one can be kinda out of it for several days after a cluster of seizures.
    Collies are pretty prone to the condition as far as I know. It is most likely to present in dogs under 5 years of age. If you want to rule out underlying conditions, the general approach is to carry out a full range of blood tests and urinalysis, and for the vet to check for neurological symptoms. In the absence of any problems arising from these tests, and after a thorough history-taking on the pattern, frequency and intensity of the seizures, epilepsy is usually pretty reliably diagnosed.
    But if you're really not happy with your vet, then get a second opinion... you need to be able to trust your vet when you're managing a lifelong condition like this. I don't know what meds your dog has been put on, but there are alternatives now to phenobarb, which can be hard enough on the organs. My little one is on it (edited to add: the new medication, not phenobarb), and it has definitely softened the condition for her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

Just as something to mention; one of my dogs was diagnosed with epilepsy and she actually had a heart condition (which responded excellently to
    meds). She would collapse and appear to fit, but is was actually collapses caused by her heart.

I do hope your pup gets sorted.

Advertisement