Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheap wormcounts!!

• 17-10-2015 2:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭

I normally send worm counts to wormcount.com but they've increased their prices and with the exchange rates it's getting expensive.. Just got this mail from westlab.ie - I had mailed them a few weeks ago but the mail had been overlooked - DOH!!! I only sent the ones to the UK last week (had a spare kit so not too bad this time cost wise)

From westlab.ie
    The cost of worm counts is €5.00 per sample. The cost of worm counts (including lungworm) is €8.00 per sample.
    Approx. 10-15 grams in small screw-cap container is preferable or small plastic self seal bags samples in a zip seal plastic bag is acceptable. Payment by cheque (payable to westlab) or postal order. If payment by cheque or P.O. is not preferable you can enclose cash (if under €50) with samples.
    Results will be emailed or phoned normally within 24-48 hours. Label each sample with name of dog.

If you're wondering what a worm count is.. It's when you send a sample of poopoo off and have a lab examine it for worms rather than blindly giving the dogs medicine they don't need "just in case" e.g. "I've being my dog drontal/milbemax/Advantage for X years and they'd never had fleas or worms".. I don't treat my two at all and they've never had them either.. touchwood!!! :o I've accessed their risk based on the environment we live and walk in as well as the risks associated with the medications (especially spot-ons and the dangers to watercourses/aquatic life as my two are swimmers!)...obviously some people are in higher risk areas than us and have to make their own decisions!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Thanks for that tk123, I didn't know this service existed in Ireland. Ive emailed them about my lads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Well this batch of worm counts were clear for both of them :cool:
    Going to ask my vet if they can do them (and face a possible lecture)- if not I'll be using westlab from now on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Why would the vet give a lecture!?, do they think its unreliable? Well Ive put extra strong ziplock sandwich bags on the shopping list to hold the samples:D My husband wondered should we send some of our own poo off too :pac:

maggiepip wrote: »
    Why would the vet give a lecture!?, do they think its unreliable? Well Ive put extra strong ziplock sandwich bags on the shopping list to hold the samples:D My husband wondered should we send some of our own poo off too :pac:

I'm anticipating a lecture because I'm not blindly treating them 'just in case' or 'there's a lot of it around' - BS because I would have heard about it on the park grapevine! :p

Make sure you have your story straight when they ask you what's in the envelopes in the post office. Last time I just laughed and said 'it's dog poop - sorry!' :pac: Guy laughed told me I could just write 'samples' :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Would they do cats too tk or is it just for dogs? Be interested to send off for my guys during the winter as I tend not to worm them when they're not hunting as much!

• Advertisement

Would they do cats too tk or is it just for dogs? Be interested to send off for my guys during the winter as I tend not to worm them when they're not hunting as much!

Well it says companion animals and there's a kitten on the website so I'd say so?

Advertisement