Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT data freedom of information

Options
  • 17-10-2015 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

Hi

With all the data you can now get online on various parts of government. I think it would be great if we could get the NCT pass/fail information per car Manufacturer and Model. So when we buy secondhand cars we know what common problems are and what are the best buys.

Especially since the recent VW testing alleged irregularities.

We pay for the NCT, we pay for road tax etc... etc... why should we not have access to the information that would enable us to make better/safer decisions when purchasing vehicles.

If the information is anonymous then I do not see any data protection issues.

Any ideas why this would not be allowed?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

Most fails are because of bulbs, tyres and wipers I'd say anyway.

It's not a reflection on the car as much as the maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Stoolbend wrote: »
    Most fails are because of bulbs, tyres and wipers I'd say anyway.

It's not a reflection on the car as much as the maintenance.

Front suspension.

https://www.ncts.ie/test_stats.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Vic_08

There are already a number of different sources of accurate Make/Model reliability+fault stats, mainly from UK though.

I would prefer to see a publicly accessible official record for each vehicle maintained as part of the tax system.
    Allowing owners to input mileage at tax renewal as well as garages to record servicing and repairs (tagged as un-verified) on top of NCT mileage, pass dates and insurance claims.

It could be voluntary for owners/garages but a big advantage for selling to have a comprehensive history. Would also be positive for revenue as pressure would be put on cash-in-hand boyos to record more of the work they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭ishotjr2

I think an independent source of factual data even if it is additional to other sources that I am unaware of, what possible reason is there not to advocate the availability of the information.

Also you may say wipers, bulbs are the main faults but the fact is you will not see the value of the data until it is made available.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

ishotjr2 wrote: »
    I think an independent source of factual data even if it is additional to other sources that I am unaware of, what possible reason is there not to advocate the availability of the information.

Also you may say wipers, bulbs are the main faults but the fact is you will not see the value of the data until it is made available.

The data relating make and model is meaningless in terms of NCT testing, it's all down to maintenance, be it BMW or Dacia, makes no difference at all.

Honest John keeps an MOT list, and it's no surprise to see fleet cars topping the list.
    http://good-garage-guide.honestjohn.co.uk/mot-results/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭dunworth1

and that's down to our crappy roads i bet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Vic_08 wrote: »

It could be voluntary for owners/garages but a big advantage for selling to have a comprehensive history. Would also be positive for revenue as pressure would be put on cash-in-hand boyos to record more of the work they do.

Why? As long as people are happy to hand over cash in car parks for log books not in the sellers name with zero service history then nothing will change. I've looked at 4 cars in the past 72 hours for someone, and every single one of them had red flags left, right and centre. It's nigh impossible to find a straight car in this country and obviously a market and lemmings exist to fuel it.

I agree an independent database should be set up but it would have to be paid for. How many owners and garages would be happy to be part of such a system? And how many buyers would use it? Not many and I have scoped this idea a number of times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

pablo128 wrote: »

On the day, at a specific time most likely after a 'what do I have to do to pass' thead or quick stop in a mechanic. I know a car that passed an NCT, twice, with significant breather / turbo issues. Costed at about €2000 worth of repairs, it basically needed a new engine. But for the NCT, it was a poster child.

NCT means absolutely nothing bar the car isn't going to fall apart like a Jenga block. It would be false to base a buying decision on the NCT except that the car has a valid and authentic disc.

ironclaw wrote: »
    On the day, at a specific time most likely after a 'what do I have to do to pass' thead or quick stop in a mechanic. I know a car that passed an NCT, twice, with significant breather / turbo issues. Costed at about €2000 worth of repairs, it basically needed a new engine. But for the NCT, it was a poster child.

NCT means absolutely nothing bar the car isn't going to fall apart like a Jenga block. It would be false to base a buying decision on the NCT except that the car has a valid and authentic disc.

You didn't read the whole article, did you?

• Advertisement

pablo128 wrote: »
    You didn't read the whole article, did you?

I did, how does it counter what I said?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I agree that NCT data should be publicly available, it's part of the vehicle's history.
    However, NCT are hiding behind data protection laws

When we looked at the 20 most-tested car brands, we found Toyota (51 per cent) came out tops. Renault was bottom of the pile (39 per cent).
    There are all sorts of caveats to bear in mind here: some car makes are more likely to have older cars on the road or a wider variety of models.
    To help level the testing pitch, we looked at the performance of the top 10 selling car models in 2009 which were due for testing in 2013.
    They were: Toyota Yaris, Corolla and Avensis; Ford Focus, Mondeo and Fiesta; VW Golf and Passat; Opel Insignia; and Nissan Qashqai.
    There was more good news for Toyota: the Yaris came out on top (87 per cent pass rate), followed by the Golf (86 per cent), Corolla (83 per cent), Fiesta (82 per cent) and Avensis (81 per cent).
    To see how they fared over the long term, we looked at how 10-year-old versions of these models performed during the 2013 testing period.
    Again, Toyota fared well. The Yaris topped the pile again (64 per cent), followed by the Corolla and Mondeo (both 63 per cent), Fiesta (57 per cent) and Focus (51 per cent).

This is a part of the article. It wasn't a one day snapshot as you are trying to suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

No surprise with that with the state of some of the roads

• Registered Users Posts: 3 FOIreland

biko wrote: »
    I agree that NCT data should be publicly available, it's part of the vehicle's history.
    However, NCT are hiding behind data protection laws

How are they hiding behind data protection? This is not personal data, since it does not relate to any identifiable person.

It could certainly be requested under FOI, though the Access to Information on the Environment regulations would be a better approach.

Advertisement