Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert History Essay Writing

• 17-10-2015 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭

Hey :)

I'm in fifth year doing Leaving Cert History and my teacher has mentioned that extra reading on each topic is essential to get an A. However, I'm now wondering if I have to reference this extra reading with a source in the essay (to show it's reading I've done outside of the History textbook) and, if I must reference it, how exactly should I do this?

Thanks in advance! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Hana98

Just mention the name of the book and the author while quoting it in your essay.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭smiles_1998

Hana98 wrote: »
    Just mention the name of the book and the author while quoting it in your essay.

Okay thanks a million! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭BlueWolf16

Hold on - are you talking about the History project or just a general History essay? You have to mention your sources and quote the author in the project, but as far as I know, there's absolutely no need to mention them in a regular essay. Even if you want to show off that you did extra-reading, I don't think the examiners will care. Plus, remembering all the book titles and authors for tens of topics is just meaningless work + wasted time in an exam.

I was a repeat student and got an A (didn't check to see the papers, but about 98% sure it was an A1/A2) grade, and a B1 (81% to be exact) grade projects. If you are interested in them, send me a PM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭mdudy

I got an A1; just read a few extra things on the internet about whatever topic your essay is on, and weave them into it, I had friends though who just used the textbook and handouts and also got A1s, so just find what works for you. Not everyone will have the same textbook, or even use a textbook anyway. There is absolutely no need to reference in your essays, that takes up time and space. Plagiarism doesn't really matter for the essays either as most of what you know is learned off from different books, etc.

If you're talking about the project, sources are a requirement anyway.

Thanks so much for the replies! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Hey :)

I'm in fifth year doing Leaving Cert History and my teacher has mentioned that extra reading on each topic is essential to get an A. However, I'm now wondering if I have to reference this extra reading with a source in the essay (to show it's reading I've done outside of the History textbook) and, if I must reference it, how exactly should I do this?

Thanks in advance! :D

You don't have to quote the source. The purpose of doing extra reading is to get different interpretations of a topic, see how historians make an argument and structure their ideas.

Extra reading gives you a broader base to work from and increases your prospects of improving your grade.

You don't have to quote the source. The purpose of doing extra reading is to get different interpretations of a topic, see how historians make an argument and structure their ideas.

Extra reading gives you a broader base to work from and increases your prospects of improving your grade.

Okay thanks a million! :)

Advertisement