Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liveline Thread 17/10/2015 to 21/12/2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Way to go out of your way to be offended!

Did I say everyone over 50? No. I qualified it. And if you're a regular listener you'll know the way the show itself treats technology and seniors, as well as how seniors themselves portray their interactions with technology on the show, then you'll know my comment is not far off the mark.

But hey, don't let my further clarification be satisfactory and continue being offended.

Give Joe a call on Monday to complain. Or maybe just chill out a little with the persecution complex?

Jeez, your own persecution complex seems to have kicked in here. Relax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,822 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Way to go out of your way to be offended!

Did I say everyone over 50? No. I qualified it. And if you're a regular listener you'll know the way the show itself treats technology and seniors, as well as how seniors themselves portray their interactions with technology on the show, then you'll know my comment is not far off the mark.

But hey, don't let my further clarification be satisfactory and continue being offended.

Give Joe a call on Monday to complain. Or maybe just chill out a little with the persecution complex?

I'm not offended, just pointing out that that post displayed a trait which unfortunately permeates quite a bit through this site.

I will always challenge people who promulgate that kind of cack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Brian Scan wrote: »
    Jeez, your own persecution complex seems to have kicked in here. Relax.

No. I was defending myself against an accusation of ageism - there is a difference.

You're the guy weighing in and you're not even involved! Perfect lahv lahn caller,"it wasn't directed at me Joe but I'm offended".

I'm not offended, just pointing out that that post displayed a trait which unfortunately permeates quite a bit through this site.

Do you actually think I believe everyone over 50 can't text or something? I have previously written on this thread how my dad (in his late 60s) is perfectly IT literate and self sufficient, yet other callers to the show of his age and younger make out like using the Internet is some kind of sorcery mixed with devil worship - all egged on by the host I might ad.

And perhaps you missed the subtleties of tone and intent? I was being sarcastic FFS.

Not arguing with you on this anymore. I know what my intent was. If you want to accuse me of ageism any further you can. I like I'm not like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

No. I was defending myself against an accusation of ageism - there is a difference.

You're the guy weighing in and you're not even involved! Perfect lahv lahn caller,"it wasn't directed at me Joe but I'm offended".

This thread is all about people who are not involved in Liveline weighing in with comments.

You are a sensitive soul.

Do you actually think I believe everyone over 50 can't text or something? I have previously written on this thread how my dad (in his late 60s) is perfectly IT literate and self sufficient, yet other callers to the show of his age and younger make out like using the Internet is some kind of sorcery mixed with devil worship - all egged on by the host I might ad.

And perhaps you missed the subtleties of tone and intent? I was being sarcastic FFS.

Not arguing with you on this anymore. I know what my intent was. If you want to accuse me of ageism any further you can. I like I'm not like that.

No, I've made my point, others can judge after reading the post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,069 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

I reserve the right to be offended!
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    I reserve the right to be offended!

"Entitled" to be offended more like. ;)

No, I've made my point, others can judge after reading the post.

They'll be judging alright...

• Advertisement

They'll be judging alright...

Mama's got a squeezebox
    Daddy never sleeps at night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Regulars on the thread will see it's always critical of this perception of old people, you always have crap about oh no, I'm a pensioner Joe, I didn't realise I could go jail for murder, shure nobody told me dat.

It's always asked at what particular point when you retire do you suddenly become stupid, because that's how Joe and callers like to portray things to suit themselves.

It's only impressive when you consider the technological skills of the average regular listener aged 50 and over.....using their calls as a benchmark for their stupidity....tbh I'm surprised that many of them can text. ;)
    ThisRegard wrote: »
    Regulars on the thread will see it's always critical of this perception of old people, you always have crap about oh no, I'm a pensioner Joe, I didn't realise I could go jail for murder, shure nobody told me dat.

It's always asked at what particular point when you retire do you suddenly become stupid, because that's how Joe and callers like to portray things to suit themselves.

I'm familiar with the tactic.

It's usually called 'coming the auld soldier' .

However I thought the post quoted above went a tad outside the parameters of objectivity in relation to the Liveline subject and was,in my opinion, portraying a segment of our population in a very unfair light.

Quite insulting in fact.

I'm familiar with the tactic.

It's usually called 'coming the auld soldier' .

However I thought the post quoted above went a tad outside the parameters of objectivity in relation to the Liveline subject and was,in my opinion, portraying a segment of our population in a very unfair light.

Quite insulting in fact.

Are you actually serious? Have you ever listened to Lahv Lahn?

Or are you just a professional protester? Or someone who seeks out offence when none is there or intended?

My comment was made in jest, was very much tongue in cheek and was clearly exaggerated to highlight the point. I qualified it as I made it and made a further qualification thereafter that it refers to a subset of the audience. Are you actually serious in telling me you found it insulting? You must have little to be worrying about if that is insulting to you. It's not aimed at you as you clearly are computer/IT literate enough to be able to post here.

If you are genuinely upset, I genuinely apologise.

Can you be gracious enough to accept that apology and can we drop it now?

Are you actually serious? Have you ever listened to Lahv Lahn?

Or are you just a professional protester? Or someone who seeks out offence when none is there or intended?

My comment was made in jest, was very much tongue in cheek and was clearly exaggerated to highlight the point. I qualified it as I made it and made a further qualification thereafter that it refers to a subset of the audience. Are you actually serious in telling me you found it insulting? You must have little to be worrying about if that is insulting to you. It's not aimed at you as you clearly are computer/IT literate enough to be able to post here.

If you are genuinely upset, I genuinely apologise.

Can you be gracious enough to accept that apology and can we drop it now?

Of course I can,I appreciate your effort to put the matter right.

I think it best we leave it at that,and I wasn't looking for an apology, just highlighting what I thought was just a little unfair.

I fully accept that you posted in good faith without malice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

No we cant leave it at that, like all matters of national importance, we need a text poll to sort this out, ye all know what to do....... well at least i hope ye do, but if you cant figure out Y from N because your'e to old or young for that matter, well then, Happy Christmas :)

• Advertisement

No we cant leave it at that, like all matters of national importance, we need a text poll to sort this out, ye all know what to do....... well at least i hope ye do, but if you cant figure out Y from N because your'e to old or young for that matter, well then, Happy Christmas :)

I'm surprised that wasn't deemed offensive seeing as my post was. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Someone questions cost benefit of the CF drug Duffy featured in this weeks callback...

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/1220/755285-drug-costs/

Someone questions cost benefit of the CF drug Duffy featured in this weeks callback...

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/1220/755285-drug-costs/

It's been said many times before but if telephone operators weren't paid €360k - €800k per year in this country we could buy a lot more of these drugs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

It's been said many times before but if telephone operators weren't paid €360k - €800k per year in this country we could buy a lot more of these drugs.

The misconception that a lot of people have about new drugs is that if they are approved for use by the Food & Drugs agencies in various countries, that they are effective in what they purport to do.
    The main concern of the F&D agencies is that the drugs are safe to use. How effective they might be is a secondary issue.
    Manufacturers of drugs will always claim that their product is the best or the only drug that can be used to treat/cure whatever the problem is. It is in the interest of the drug companies to hype any new drug as much as possible and they will sometimes encourage potential users of the drug to get involved in public campaigns to get it approved or prescribed.
    The voices which we heard on Liveline we obviously part of a coordinated and organised effort to bounce the HSE into approving the use of this drug before proper assessment is carried out.

Roger_007 wrote: »
    The misconception that a lot of people have about new drugs is that if they are approved for use by the Food & Drugs agencies in various countries, that they are effective in what they purport to do.
    The main concern of the F&D agencies is that the drugs are safe to use. How effective they might be is a secondary issue.
    Manufacturers of drugs will always claim that their product is the best or the only drug that can be used to treat/cure whatever the problem is. It is in the interest of the drug companies to hype any new drug as much as possible and they will sometimes encourage potential users of the drug to get involved in public campaigns to get it approved or prescribed.
    The voices which we heard on Liveline we obviously part of a coordinated and organised effort to bounce the HSE into approving the use of this drug before proper assessment is carried out.

No, I hear you, just wasn't in spelling it out and/or pontificating mode. The problem is clearly more complex than just culling overpaid and underqualified opinionated and proven to be biased by the BCI telephone operators' salaries.

I used to work in high tech bio pharma here in Dublin. Trust me, I've seen first hand the exorbitant, astonishing and quite frankly immoral* margins the industry charges here - and gets away with charging tbh by an inept and not fit for purpose HSE. The high tech scheme fully pays for all of the drugs on its roster so the patient pays nothing, no matter how rich or poor they are. Ireland is the most profitable country globally for most drugs, and that's not a coincidence! Why does the same drug (manufactured here in Dublin btw) cost 40% of the price in the rest of Europe than in Ireland? That example is a cheap drug. The drug I worked on cost over EUR20,000 per year to the Govt. and had thousands of patients. We billed the Govt for over EUR60million in my final year on that drug alone. ONE DRUG!!!! Think about that. Who pays for all of that? You and me through taxes.

*I know this will come as an immense shock to those of you who know me only through this thread as a sarcastic, smart arse cynical boll*x but that was one of the main reasons I left the industry. I couldn't stomach the business practices where profit above all else (patient care doesn't even feature) was genuinely all that mattered - example, the Christmas/end of year letter to employees by the Country Manager did not once mention the word patient. Astonishing! You'd think he could even pay lip service to it? Nope. And this was BIG Pharma, not some mickey mouse operation - of which there are many btw. Pharma as an industry in Ireland attracts a significantly higher number of sociopaths and psychopaths than any other industry I've ever worked in.

• Advertisement

Hmmm .......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Expunge

Pharma as an industry in Ireland attracts a significantly higher number of sociopaths and psychopaths than any other industry I've ever worked in.

Have ya never spent time out in Donnybrook at the National Broadcaster, Butters? It'd give big pharma a run for it's money for freeloading nutjobs. I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,170 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

will Martin from Pavee Point be onto Joe to complain about Gary Lineker's cross examination of Tyson Fury?.

Expunge wrote: »
    Have ya never spent time out in Donnybrook at the National Broadcaster, Butters? It'd give big pharma a run for it's money for freeloading nutjobs. I'd say.

No, having an education and being able to pronounce my words correctly meant that I couldn't even apply :(

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Ronan sounds very fragile this afternoon:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

bukes too rubbish to be published today

always a great source of entertainment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Bukes? FWIW I have 12 books here that purchased to give away as presents or keep for myself (3). They all have an Irish/local interest. Local being Roscommon/Leitrim. This is where they were published.
    1. Ciaran Mullooly (RTE). Back to the Future. Longford.
    2. Various. The Roscommon Anthology. Knock, Co Mayo.
    3. Paul Healy. Nothing About Sheep Stealing. Longford
    4. Shane Curran. Cake. UK
    5. John Leonard. Dub Sub Confidential. UK
    6. Rose Morris. The Splendiferous Tale of Ferdinand Fox. Dublin
    7. Gerry Boland. In the Space Between. Dublin
    8. Various. The Scrapbook of Regrets. Unknown, (I think it was Sligo).
    9. Various. A Miners Reunion. Boyle, Co Roscommon
    10. Christy Regan. Through Christy's Lens. Boyle Co Roscommon
    11. Various. A Season of Sundays. Printed Dublin, bound in Belfast.
    12. Conor McNamara. The Easter Rebellion 1916. South Africa.
    Of the above two things stand out: a couple of the GAA books and the 1916 book are printed abroad, and all of the local books are printed in Ireland.

For the argument that nobody can publish a book of the quality and print run of Joe Duffy's, A Season of Sundays is one of the biggest selling annuals in Ireland, they printed it in Dublin and bound it in Belfast. Joe Duffys book has a smaller print run.

He could at least have asked that the book be printed here, maybe it would be more expensive, meaning a few bob less into his bank account, but seeing that he isn't exactly impoverished it is at the very least an embarrassment to him that he went and had it published in Germany by the Irish branch of a French company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,071 ✭✭✭✭neris

bukes too rubbish to be published today

always a great source of entertainment

Unless your a radio host with contacts who can get their book printed in Germany

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

Sepp Blatter is beginning to sound like Hitler in the last days of the Third Reich. Completely delusional.

Red Kev wrote: »
    Bukes? FWIW I have 12 books here that purchased to give away as presents or keep for myself (3). They all have an Irish/local interest. Local being Roscommon/Leitrim. This is where they were published.

Did anybody else think that Red Kev was gonna raffle off the books to all the contributors to this thread. :(

• Advertisement

For the day thats in it and Joe been an author

2000px-Flag_of_Germany_(3-2_aspect_ratio).svg.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Does Joe do this self published book slot every year or is it just since he wrote a book?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

If most of these books are available through websites only, then why isn't the programme on 2-3 weeks ago so listeners could order them and get them for Christmas.

Does Joe do this self published book slot every year or is it just since he wrote a book?

No every year Joes and artist and an author

I never realised it Joe, but I was hugely talented.

- Engage in social media.
    - Invest in a website.
    - Get a job in RTE so that you can promote it for free every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Sepp Blatter is beginning to sound like Hitler in the last days of the Third Reich. Completely delusional.
    Or Brian Cowen in the weeks before the bailout .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

Dominique chevalier.... sigh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Pretentious? Moi?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Books are sooooo last century

Does she not need permission to reprint that?

the enniscorthy premiere of a movie... yeah id say the hollywood elite were falling over themselves to get to that premiere

Ah, the good old Local Rag trick. Get as many pics of local people in it as possible.

syklops wrote: »
    Pretentious? Moi?

On butterfly wings... cliche tastic.

so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

set in Marrakech...like the one Dave read out to Nana in The Royle Family

• Advertisement

snubbleste wrote: »
    Books are sooooo last century

Gutenberg might argue that one.

the quickest way into a bookstore is Via Germany

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

How is this a "liveline " show , i.e a phone in show dealing with the burning issues , minor and major of the day ??,
    It's BORING joe !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Oops69 wrote: »
    How is this a "liveline " show , i.e a phone in show dealing with the burning issues , minor and major of the day ??,
    It's BORING joe !
    1850 715815

A book about 'mamils'...had to happen eventually i guess.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement