Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin 15 /18 / Saggart / Wicklow location queries

Options
  • 17-10-2015 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hello, I really need an advice please.

There was a similar thread but only about saggart and d 18.

Finally we can buy our own place, but I have a lot of doubts about the areas.

We been living in d 18 (sandyford or cabinteely mainly) for 10 years.

Right now we can only get a 3 bed apartment, but I can hardly imagine we fit into it :)

That said we saw lovely places in Saggart, Rathnew and county Wicklow in general.

I just know nothing about those places and not sure what is better. Saggart is good because I am still in the city, I can get luas from town, it is only 25/30 min drive to cherrywood (i work there). I just feel Rathnew is a bit too far from everyone and everything. Not that we go out a lot (we have 3 year old daughter), but sometimes it is nice to have everything at your doorstep.

How would you rank Rathnew/wicklow, saggart and maybe d15 (clonsilla, carpentertown, tyrrelstown)? or should I just get an apartment in d 18 and stay where we are?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Lycoge

Hi

We"re in the process of buying our new home in Saggart. I've lived in Carrickmines and Cabinteely most of my life but house prices not within our range there. We had considered Bray but found nothing decent. So started looking at Saggart and decided to buy there after 2 visits.

We havent moved yet so my opinion is only based on short visits of walking and driving around Saggart, It's a small village, nice restaurants, 3 or 4 schools, pub, shops. They have planning approved for a lovely plaza in the village too. We've gone at various times of the day and it's never really busy. Traffic wise seems OK in the evening and at school times. Though haven't seen the morning traffic yet. Like you said, only 30 minutes to D18. Plus for added bonus there's several different routes in / out of the village so might be useful. That new flyover at Newlands cross is great as well.

I'd say best thing to do (as well as speaking to people who've lived in the areas as youve requested on this thread) is to spend a bit of time in the areas you're considering. Go at different times of the day, suss out things like traffic and "feel" of the areas. For us, Saggart has a lovely "feel" to it with plenty of amenities and is driving distance to plenty more. Can't wait to start living there!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I am originally from D15 but lived near Rathnew for years.
    It depends on the areas in both.
    Rathnew can be rough,I dislike Tyrrelstown and although it was an option I did not buy a house there.
    Clonsilla is mostly nice and you are near a lot of useful stuff.
    I love Wicklow in general:)
    With a 3 year old you really need to be thinking of schools and school places too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

What's your budget on a place ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 annanj

Lycoge wrote: »
    Hi

We"re in the process of buying our new home in Saggart. I've lived in Carrickmines and Cabinteely most of my life but house prices not within our range there. We had considered Bray but found nothing decent. So started looking at Saggart and decided to buy there after 2 visits.

We havent moved yet so my opinion is only based on short visits of walking and driving around Saggart, It's a small village, nice restaurants, 3 or 4 schools, pub, shops. They have planning approved for a lovely plaza in the village too. We've gone at various times of the day and it's never really busy. Traffic wise seems OK in the evening and at school times. Though haven't seen the morning traffic yet. Like you said, only 30 minutes to D18. Plus for added bonus there's several different routes in / out of the village so might be useful. That new flyover at Newlands cross is great as well.

I'd say best thing to do (as well as speaking to people who've lived in the areas as youve requested on this thread) is to spend a bit of time in the areas you're considering. Go at different times of the day, suss out things like traffic and "feel" of the areas. For us, Saggart has a lovely "feel" to it with plenty of amenities and is driving distance to plenty more. Can't wait to start living there!

I really appreciate your reply! Thank you, sounds positive! also took us 2 visits to saggart to think about moving! just cost of petrol and running two cars etc etc. Oh such a hard decision!!! Some people just saying about less desirable areas around Saggart , but I really didn't see anything bad! but then as I said I have never really been around that part of the city. Thanks again!!!

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I am originally from D15 but lived near Rathnew for years.
    It depends on the areas in both.
    Rathnew can be rough,I dislike Tyrrelstown and although it was an option I did not buy a house there.
    Clonsilla is mostly nice and you are near a lot of useful stuff.
    I love Wicklow in general:)
    With a 3 year old you really need to be thinking of schools and school places too.

Thank you for your reply! There are 2 schools within 5 min walking, that is a good point! Ok Rathnew and tyrrelstown is out of my list then :)))

• Advertisement

worded wrote: »
    What's your budget on a place ?

250 k is our max, due to husbands age we can only get mortgage for 24 years apparently, he is 39 now :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

annanj wrote: »
    Hello, I really need an advice please.

There was a similar thread but only about saggart and d 18.

Finally we can buy our own place, but I have a lot of doubts about the areas.

We been living in d 18 (sandyford or cabinteely mainly) for 10 years.

Right now we can only get a 3 bed apartment, but I can hardly imagine we fit into it :)

That said we saw lovely places in Saggart, Rathnew and county Wicklow in general.

I just know nothing about those places and not sure what is better. Saggart is good because I am still in the city, I can get luas from town, it is only 25/30 min drive to cherrywood (i work there). I just feel Rathnew is a bit too far from everyone and everything. Not that we go out a lot (we have 3 year old daughter), but sometimes it is nice to have everything at your doorstep.

How would you rank Rathnew/wicklow, saggart and maybe d15 (clonsilla, carpentertown, tyrrelstown)? or should I just get an apartment in d 18 and stay where we are?

Thanks in advance.

I know Dublin 15. There's nothing wrong with tyrrelstown its like its own little town. But for me I would prefer to be nearer the blanchardstown shopping centre as you have everything there. Consilla is a nice area and you can find houses still at a reasonable price. You should have a look around the housing that runs along the hartstown huntstown road. The gardens and house size are good for a little lower in price and theres a big park as well. I know one of the local schools according to a friend has a good rep and has won some national awards ( dont know the name of it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

D15 has it's rougher areas. My brother in law lives in Clonsilla and loves the place. I lived near the shopping centre and while it was grand, I never really liked the place - soulless IMO. The quality of some of the builds might be an issue in D15 also as a lot of it was built in a hurry.

All in all there's better value to be had in D5/D13 than D15 but it's certainly not a bad area.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Plenty of homes for sale in clonsilla ,under 250k,
    where is closest to work for you.
    There,s 2 shopping centres near clonsilla and various schools .
    i would rule out rathnew ,and wicklow because of distance and commuting time.
    Blanchardstown shopping centre is near clonsilla .
    i lived in d15, theres plenty of nice private estates there .
    Maybe look for a 3-4 bed house in clonsilla or 1 with a nice back garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

One of my friends has a similar budget and is looking at houses in kilcoole and newtownmount Kennedy. I have no idea about the areas.

If it were me and I worked in town I would consider a communter town eg Bettystown, bettystown, mornington....they have a brilliant bus "Matthews bus" and they have the train. You may even get a 4 bed. Your husband could drive the m1 and m50?
    Loads of schools bad amenities etc etc

We bought in South dublin this summer, my 7km drive to work could take 45 mins :( in fact my OH who works on the north side gets to work in less time and leaves later than me (he drives the m50).

• Advertisement

Millem wrote: »
    One of my friends has a similar budget and is looking at houses in kilcoole and newtownmount Kennedy. I have no idea about the areas.

If it were me and I worked in town I would consider a communter town eg Bettystown, bettystown, mornington....they have a brilliant bus "Matthews bus" and they have the train. You may even get a 4 bed. Your husband could drive the m1 and m50?
    Loads of schools bad amenities etc etc

We bought in South dublin this summer, my 7km drive to work could take 45 mins :( in fact my OH who works on the north side gets to work in less time and leaves later than me (he drives the m50).

We looked in newtownmountkennedy too! There are some nice new homes, all sold out now :-/ see we both work on South side, I know never say never but I don't think I ever be working in town, I really hate it :) so Betty town (i visited once and really liked it) is not the option here. Oh and I would hate to spend so much time traveling to work and back :( I am very spoiled - I work in cherrywood and live 5 min walk from business park. It actually quicker to walk to work than to drive there :))) This is why I am so so so scared to buy in saggart. This also would mean getting and running 2nd car, which is not cheap :-/

couldn't imagined this decision would be so hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

annanj wrote: »
    We looked in newtownmountkennedy too! There are some nice new homes, all sold out now :-/ see we both work on South side, I know never say never but I don't think I ever be working in town, I really hate it :) so Betty town (i visited once and really liked it) is not the option here. Oh and I would hate to spend so much time traveling to work and back :( I am very spoiled - I work in cherrywood and live 5 min walk from business park. It actually quicker to walk to work than to drive there :))) This is why I am so so so scared to buy in saggart. This also would mean getting and running 2nd car, which is not cheap :-/

couldn't imagined this decision would be so hard.

I think you Defo have been spoiled! Any of my colleagues that live in wicklow leave at 7am :( to beat the traffic. If I commuted from bettystown to my work by train I would only have to leave 7.30. I leave my own house in south dublin at 7.30 and drive 7km to work but crawl in traffic...actually I bought a new car recently and my average speed over 5 days was 15km/hour!!! I fly home in 15/20 mins as My longest day is 3.45. My OH would never leave south dublin though so moving to a huge house in the country was never an option.

I suppose it comes down to budget really. You want outdoor space for your little one so I am guessing you will have to move out.

Another girl in work just bought in Lucan..again dont know anything about the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

riclad wrote: »
    Plenty of homes for sale in clonsilla ,under 250k,
    where is closest to work for you.
    There,s 2 shopping centres near clonsilla and various schools .
    i would rule out rathnew ,and wicklow because of distance and commuting time.
    Blanchardstown shopping centre is near clonsilla .
    i lived in d15, theres plenty of nice private estates there .
    Maybe look for a 3-4 bed house in clonsilla or 1 with a nice back garden.

Yep under 250 you could still get a nice enough place in clonsilla or surrounding. The OP hasnt said what her budget is yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

There are some nice places in Newtownmountkennedy (eg http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/117-season-park-newtownmountkennedy-co-wicklow/3273158)

One thing to do is take a look on Google Maps, looking at the map view, the Earth view and the Streetview. In some places, where Googe has mapped them several times, there's a wayback machine where you can see the earlier views over a few years. Not in Newtownmountkennedy, I think.

Back the map off so you can see what surrounds you - sea nearby? mountains to drive to? parks to cycle through? good schools? easily accessible shops? Take a look at Google's 'Terrain' choice (on the menu with three little parallel lines in the Search field), and things like parks show up well. If you type 'schools' in the search field while looking at a map in this way, it will show up nearby schools. Try 'shops' and 'stores' (people list their shops differently) to get a notion of nearby shopping. 'Parks' will back it off a bit but show many parklands. And so on.

366009.png

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭flunkyfearsome

Rathnew is not rough and I'm from Wicklow.(Its hard saying it but some of the nicest people I know are Shonnies)
    Both Rathnew and Wicklow are top notch, Educate together have a new school being built on the port road( I have a son and daughter there) Rathnew also have a new coed school being built plus CCM(secondary) is basically between both. Plus the scenery you've a tesco, lidl and aldi is also 15 mins away and there's a good selection of pre schools.
    And Pinito have the best garlic cheese chips.

Advertisement