Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ad Hoc Childcare

Options
  • 17-10-2015 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭

Some help please. I'm wondering if such a thing exists? Almost like a baby hotel where one can have their little one minded for a few hours here and there on an ad hoc basis? :) To explain further, I'm lucky that I can work two days a week and a lot of this can be done from home. I do need to go into the office here and there and need to meet clients for meetings sometimes but this is very loose (my bosses are unbelievably parent friendly and flexible!) and I can more or less choose my hours. I'd love the security of having a reputable childminder or facility which I know I can avail of on a casual basis. I've only returned to the workforce (baby Merkin is 14.5 months, where has the time gone?!) and I did try out a childminder for a couple of weeks but she was charging €10 an hour for two full days p/w when I don't need that at all, it may only be 3-4 hours per week, 10 hrs some weeks and none on other weeks. He got on very well there as he's a sociable little soul so I'm not concerned about dropping him in somewhere (as long as it's safe and reputable and they are kind obviously). Does a service like this exist? It's a bit different to a babysitter. If I'm talking to a client and they say can you in tomorrow for example it's having the certainty of saying sure without having to tell them I'll call back after ringing around. Any guidance appreciated, thank you :)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Ring Childminding Ireland ask ask them is there anyone near you.
    It works out too expensive for some childminders to offer but I am sure there are some that do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Oh that looks like a great resource thank you! Will call them on Monday, cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Merkin, the only place I know that does a few hours here and there is either a family member, friend or childminder with other kids. You might be near a large shopping centre? I know ours has a drop-in Creche! that's supposed to be for people to drop kids in and do their shopping/cinema in peace, but I do know some freelancers who have used it when stuck.

It all depends on the child too, some take weeks of consistent exposure before they get used to someone. But you said he is sociable, so should be ok.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Alot of the large shopping centres only take them for an hour or 2 hours max and can be expensive and you need ot stay on site.
    Do you know anyone that you could ask?I often take kids for other people for a few hours/days here and there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Thanks guys. Your responses have actually formulated my requirements really. I wouldn't be so happy dropping him into an SC although thanks for the suggestion. I also have people I can ask but I'd like to have the certainty of having a 'go to' place that can happily take him on a per hour basis. He's great with everyone so I think I'll maybe put an ad up for a local childminder who already minds a couple of kids who would be happy to take my little pet occasionally?

• Advertisement

yes and someone with space or someone it suits might reply
    Insurance is the main issue that I don't do it on a paid basis,I would need to pay my annual insurance but have no idea how many hours I would get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

There is a drop in creche in Dublin (north) I'd you are based near there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Our childcare could be described as ad hoc. It's mostly full days but because of our work shifts, we range from needing 0 days in a week, to 1, 2 or 3 days. Most months we only require around 6-8 days childcare. We have a stay-at-home mum with two school going children minding him and I give her a list of dates a few weeks in advance. Works very well for us. I'm sure you'll find someone and I think your own ad, where you can specify your needs, is the best way. Facebook can actually be a good tool as you are more likely to find someone you know, or someone your friends/family can vouch for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

I use my local crÃ႒¨che on an ad hoc basis. It is for my school age children (afternoons and holidays) though so they have more flexibility regarding staff to child ratios. If you have a local crÃ႒¨che that is just starting up they may have space for you if its on the understanding that if they get full with full time babies you would not get a place.

Advertisement