Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question for owners of Lowden or McIlroy Guitars

Options
  • 17-10-2015 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I often see how revered Lowden and McIlroy guitars are. I have never gotten to play any, the best i have is Youtube.

I know they are braced very differently to Martins, and many of the other USA made guitars that essentially emulate Martin's tone. These Northern Irish guitars seem to have overtones galore, and I know that they are very popular with trad players. Also I understand that they excel in non-standard tunings, particularly DADGAD.

I am looking for that once in a lifetime guitar. However, I am not a trad player and very rarely play in any tuning other than standard.

My question is, how do the Lowdens and McIlroys perform for country/folk/rock etc in standard tunings against the likes of Martin, Taylor, Collings, Santa Cruz etc?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

I think there a bit of an assumption here.....

Lowden & McIlroy are High quality instruments.

People who buy a top end instrument are (normally) folks who havebeen playing fora long time and have progressed to more diverse areas of playing.

In the acoustic world, one of those is DADGAD, in electric, it could be 7 string with dropped tunings........ eyc, etc etc.

I can honestly say that a McIlroy that a former work colleague owns is the most wonderful acoustic guitar I've ever been in the same room as, much less played. Absolutely astonishing.

I've also played, maybe 10?, Lowdens, and had a 1 on 1 tour of George's factory in Downpatrick as his invitation. HE is a really nice bloke and I'd send him all the business I possibly can. I have to say that I personally prefer a smaller neck profile than the Lowden standard, but they are drop dead gorgeous instruments.

as to non folky users?

Clapton, Foy Vance, Colin Lightbody, Doug Aldritch (Coverdale's guitarist)

of course the tappers of the world like Kaki King & Andy McKee play them too.

you wouldn't spend several grand on a car without test driving it. I strongly reccomend you find a guitar shop and sit down with several for a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Etc

I own a Mcilroy and a Collings. I will never sell the Mcilroy, I play lots of different styles and the Mcilroy covers everything. The Collings is amazing too, but for value for money it's the Mcilroy every time. People mention the attention to detail with a Collings, the Mcilroy matches it completely.

The thing to bear in mind though is that guitars open up over time so while my Collings sounded quite tight when I bought it it's opening up nicely now and the tone is quite something.

If you live in Dublin and would like to try both guitars send me a PM. It's a big investment and I know it's impossible to find somewhere that will have both in stock at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭kifi

Etc wrote: »
    I own a Mcilroy and a Collings. I will never sell the Mcilroy, I play lots of different styles and the Mcilroy covers everything. The Collings is amazing too, but for value for money it's the Mcilroy every time. People mention the attention to detail with a Collings, the Mcilroy matches it completely.

The thing to bear in mind though is that guitars open up over time so while my Collings sounded quite tight when I bought it it's opening up nicely now and the tone is quite something.

If you live in Dublin and would like to try both guitars send me a PM. It's a big investment and I know it's impossible to find somewhere that will have both in stock at the same time.

Thanks for the offer, much appreciated. I actually have an OM2H on order! However, might try add a McIlroy at some stage. Which McIlroy would you recommend ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I bought a Lowden a couple of years back. I haven't a clue about acoustic guitars. All I know is that it's a fantastically made instrument, smells gorgeous and is a delight to play. Cost me a bomb but it's my pride and joy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I bought a Lowden a couple of years back. I haven't a clue about acoustic guitars.

That was an expensive risk to take! :)

• Advertisement

seachto7 wrote: »
    That was an expensive risk to take! :)

I know.. I picked it up, liked it, tried others, didn't like them, bought Lowden.

And what a guitar to pick up! Were you on the look out for a high end guitar?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Dermoth

I agree with the previous posters about the quality of these guitars. I have a McIlroy A30 as well as a Taylor and a number of Martins. The McIlroy is by far my favourite and I will never sell it. Love it.

And what a guitar to pick up! Were you on the look out for a high end guitar?

Nope. Budget was 500. Saw the Lowden. Left the shop 2600 down. Happy as Larry.

Yikes. Well, I suppose, you'll never have to upgrade again!

• Advertisement

Yikes. Well, I suppose, you'll never have to upgrade again!

Exactly. I had already spent too much on different guitars so spending the 2600 at the time will eventually save me money, plus I have a cracking guitar.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭kifi

Which McIlroy has been your favourite? Size? Wood Combination?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 jcbrowne1

Hi All, I have a lowden f32 that I bought during lockdown and for me isnt

Have to agree with one of the posters, the workmanship is astounding ,they are unadorned but you will find it very hard to fi d something more beautiful. Mine is a sitka top and rosewood back and sides. Ultimately the guitar I should have bought should have been short scale with mahogany back and sides for a more earthy / warm sound. The sound of mine is bright and 'airy' and is perfect for the right person, just not for me. Either way uts for sale . It cost 4200 new 18months ago and will leave it go for 3k if anyone is interested..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

Since I last posted in this thread I've bought a McIlroy!

Mahogany/Spruce.... very little bling other than a celtic knot inlay on the octave.

it is quite simply an heirloom instrument to be passed on to my children.

I also got a factory tour from Dermot. These guys are really keen to show a potential buyer how their instruments came to be.

The McIlroy has a more slender neck than the Lowden. Given that Dermot worked for George for several years, OF COURSE there will be comparisons. My hands fit the McIlroy better, but they are both stunning instrument makers

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Congrats. Now enjoy it and play the hell out of it! They really are lovely instruments.

Advertisement