Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fusion Graduate Programme

Options
  • 17-10-2015 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi :)
    I'm wondering if anyone can help.. I'm after getting offered a job as a Research & Development Technologist as part of the Fusion Intertrade Ireland Graduate Programme..It is a 12month contract in which i get the chance to take up further studies in a Higher Diploma in Business and Management at Queens University Belfast. Does anyone know if this will be PhD-like? The company I will be working for has projects ongoing with various universities. I am extremely anxious about this and would appreciate any tips/help/advice anyone may have.
    Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Hey KeleGal! Firstly, CONGRATS, that sounds like an awesome job!
    A hDip is not PhD like - they're v.different. Typically, a hDip is another level 8 qualification (see the framework here), often used as a conversion style programme or as a skills extension. A PhD on the other hand is a very specific, usually full time undertaking.

I would encourage you to contact Queens directly to ask them questions as if you were a prospective student.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 KeleGal

Hi Suaimhneach,

Many thanks for your response ,I really appreciate it. However I was actually wondering if the job itself would be PhD based considering it's a R&D role??
    Thanks again

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

How did you successfully get a role, without knowing whether or not you were applying for R&D or a PhD?

I dont know enough about the job, is it this one? http://www.intertradeireland.com/fusion/

I mean, you should probably call and ask asap.

I apologise as I did not word my previous post well. I understand that this role is not a PhD , I was actually wondering would this role be very difficult/intense considering it is a graduate programme. I know from other graduates who have entered into programmes like this ( e.g. Kerry Group) have found them extremely challenging . Thus I'm wondering if the same would apply for the Intertrade Ireland Graduate Programme? I am quite apprehensive about the position so any info would be extremely helpful

I have no direct info, so I cant advise. Typically, graduate programmes are designed as entry to industry, you know? Like they often specifically set up training and do mentorships. This varies company to company. It certainly can be competitive, but if you've passed the loops you're in with a good chance.

Dont be intimidated! If you got a prestigious role! You can do this. You'll meet other grads, you'll all be friends. You'll work hard but it will be SO rewarding. It will be hard, different-hard than a PhD, but absolutely the best way to start your career.

Maybe call them and ask to learn more about their programme? Maybe ask to speak with someone who finished it recently.

• Advertisement

Thanks so much Suaimhneach for your message. i really appreciate all your help. Wishing you all the best for the future :)

Advertisement