Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

registration to teach to junior cert level

• 17-10-2015 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi
    I have been teaching home ec in a special school for the past 5 years..I am actually a qualified business studies teacher and not actually qualified to teach home ec.
    I am registered to teach professional cookery in further education as I am a qualified chef and also have an honours degree in business and hospitality management.
    My question is is there a way I can get registered to teach home ec to junior cert level without having a degree in home ec.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

mollytev32 wrote: »
    Hi
    I have been teaching home ec in a special school for the past 5 years..I am actually a qualified business studies teacher and not actually qualified to teach home ec.
    I am registered to teach professional cookery in further education as I am a qualified chef and also have an honours degree in business and hospitality management.
    My question is is there a way I can get registered to teach home ec to junior cert level without having a degree in home ec.

Thanks in advance

Afraid not. 'Teaching to junior cert' simply isnt acceptable to a principal any more. Youre either qualified or you arent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭doc_17

Yeah it's impossible to get a qualification to teach a home economics to junior cert level as far I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

In practice, you could probably get hired as a business teacher and end up teaching home ec. to junior cert anyway but also in practice, I would think that there would be very few schools that would have more than one home ec. teacher on staff and they'd want one that can teach it to leaving cert I would think.

That being said, I'm told it's very difficult to get home ec. teachers so I don't think you should write off the home ec. positions you see advertised regardless. You're a qualified teacher (and presumably registered with the teaching council) so you can be hired as a teacher and then it's largely up to management how they timetable you, as long as they're willing to risk being told off for having an unqualified teacher teaching home ec. That being said, you're unlikely to have much job security that way because they'll hire the first qualified home ec. teacher that they find and you'll be relying on having created a good enough impression to stay on as a business teacher by then.

Advertisement