Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Ireland and Claiming Tax Back

Options
  • 18-10-2015 9:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Dear All,

I have worked in Ireland as a software developer during 8 month ( from February till October ) for a brut salary of 50 000 euro per year.
    With this salary I have been taxed 1100 euro per month by PAYE tax system and in 8 months I have payed almost 9000 euros of taxes.
    Now I left my job and I am considering moving to Canada by the end of this year or in the beginning of 2016 (January / February).
    I know that I can get a good tax back amount if I leave before the end of the year but I am not sure if the amount will be the same if I will claim my taxes in February 2016 as the tax refund is based on amount of PAYE for the current year?
    I hope that readers understand that it won't be reasonable to loose few thousand of euros just because of staying six more weeks in Ireland.

Thank you for your time.
    Regards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Alan Shore

Your Irish Tax is based on your Irish income if you stay here and don't earn anything then you get the benefit of the standard rate cut off and tax credits for the rest of the year.

If you leave Ireland and don't return in 2016 then you could qualify for split year relief and foreign income would not be taxed in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

As long as you don't earn anymore income for the year the refund you will receive will be the same. It doesn't matter when you decide to make the move.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lamachine

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    As long as you don't earn anymore income for the year the refund you will receive will be the same. It doesn't matter when you decide to make the move.

@Bubbaclaus I will try to interpret your explanation, please correct me if I miss anything.
    A tax back claimer will get a refund for all the unclaimed years during which he has been working.
    It means somebody who worked in Ireland since 2012 and is leaving in the beginning of 2015 and and has never claimed tax back, will get tax back for 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015?
    Am I correct?

Thank you for your time.
    R

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

If you overpaid tax in a year you can claim that back within 4 years (so if you feel you overpaid tax in 2011 you would need to apply for that before 31 December this year)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lamachine

@Bubbaclaus thx for the explanation everything is clear now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement