Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Watch from the States

• 18-10-2015 12:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭

Quick question: a relative of mine in the states has offered to post an Apple Watch to me here in Ireland, if I get it delivered to their house from the US Apple Store. When it arrives to them, they'll set it up and make sure everything is ok with the device prior to sending it.

Will they or indeed myself, be charged customs on the watch if I were to receive it in this manner?

Do the US models differ much from the Irish models?

Re warranty: if something were to go awry with the device, would I have to ship it back to the states to resolve?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Will they or indeed myself, be charged customs on the watch if I were to receive it in this manner?
    They wont. You could. Imposible to judge. Tell them use USPS to ship it. Probably best way to avoid customs.

Do the US models differ much from the Irish models?
    Nope! Just the plug, but you can charge off most USB plug tops.

Re warranty: if something were to go awry with the device, would I have to ship it back to the states to resolve?
    No, the Watch is available here in Ireland so they should be able to send replacements now and arrange repair services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Thanks Ayatolla! Excellent response, much appreciated :)

Hmmm, re customs - so even if i received the watch as a gift - say for birthday or Christmas - I'd still be hit with customs? I'd essentially have to pay tax on a present.......?!

In terms of shipping: are couriers better than the postal service - even first class, tracked postage vs DHL, UPS, etc.?

Thanks for the replies - I'm at novice in this arena

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Also worth noting that I don't think you can use an Irish credit card on the US Apple Store. Better to get them to buy it and you reimburse the money to them directly plus postage to Ireland costs and enough for at least a pint :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

The watch has to be set up with an iPhone and paired to it, so it will be paired to their phone and there's a small issue with some watches still being locked to the original account even though they've been uppaired, best set it up yourself.

kceire wrote: »
    Also worth noting that I don't think you can use an Irish credit card on the US Apple Store. Better to get them to buy it and you reimburse the money to them directly plus postage to Ireland costs and enough for at least a pint :p

Yeah, was thinking the same. Although i have a Revolut card which I can load $$s onto. Wonder would that work?!
    naasrd wrote: »
    The watch has to be set up with an iPhone and paired to it, so it will be paired to their phone and there's a small issue with some watches still being locked to the original account even though they've been uppaired, best set it up yourself.

Hmm... i did not know this. That's interesting. I might just Skype them while they're checking it physically and then just get them to ship it.

I was on both the US and IE apple sites last night. The model I'm after is the 38mm Stainless steel (w/sapphire glass) and [red] sports band. It worked out to roughly €512 incl tax on the US site and currently retailing for €679 on the Irish site - so big difference there!

So yeah, just wondering if they were to 'gift' it to me (I pay via Revolut) would I have to incur customs fees.....And would they be better off shipping it via a courier or 1st class US postage with a tracker number.

Thanks for all the replies so far guys :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

You will be charged customs.

I ordered one at launch as I was due to be there on delivery day.

Long story short, I had to cancel trip and get it couriered over. Was held by customs and charged about €80.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Love how everyone thinks they can just get away with breaking;

1. The law.
    2. Boards rules

Mentioning how to avoid customs and VAT is against the charter of this forum.

OP. have you done your calculations right? Sales tax in the states is added whilst checking out most online stores (based on the shipping address), sales tax is generally between 5-10% depending on which state.

Gifts are still liable for customs and duty, it's only if it's under a certain amount that it's exempt ($50 i think). If you get caught it's 23% VAT, plus 2-3% import plus €10-15 duty in advance fee. calculate that on top of the price you think you're getting the watch at, add in the missing peace of mind that you won't get from buying it in ireland and you'll probably only come out with the price of 2 pints and a packet of crisps.

Not to mention trusting the US postal service with a €679 item if you go down that route, which speaking from experience for sub $100 items you're putting a lot of stress on the old ticker (not that you'll be wearing the watch so the heart rate measurements won't count against you :pac:).

If you go down the route of using a courier (UPS and Fed Ex) you'll definitely will have to pay the customs. UPS and Fed Ex will pay the customs for you, then a month later you'll get a bill stating you own them whatever the customs fee is plus a €10-15 fee for paying your customs/VAT for you.

Thank you for the response creamy goodness (love the name!)
    Love how everyone thinks they can just get away with breaking;

1. The law.
    2. Boards rules

I'm sorry if it seems I was trying to do the above - I can ensure you that is certainly not my intention. I'm not even sure if I want the Apple watch tbh. My brother offered to ship it to me if was interested.

As stated before, I'm a complete novice in this area (I always hear of people buying abroad on holidays or online and shipping back; I have never went down this avenue - I have bought all my Apple products in Ireland). Thus, when I logged onto both the IE and US sites I just really wanted to see if there was a price difference and was merely trying to determine if it is worth the hassle (be it time, money, safety, etc.) of shipping from the states or not. I queried same here as many boardsies are knowledgable in this area and give excellent advice that I can trust.

Seemingly, I'm better off buying it here - thats if I buy it at all......

Thank you for your detailed response - it definitely provides me with many considerations. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Buy it here or else buy it if you're visiting the states or have a friend/family visiting. They could wear it on their wrist on the way home and happy days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

No, the Watch is available here in Ireland so they should be able to send replacements now and arrange repair services.

Not sure on this, I know with iPhones and MacBooks bought in US they have to go back to the US for repair or replacement so you couldn't just go to the Apple store in Belfast for example, assuming that it will be the same with watch, could be wrong. You should call the store in Belfast to check there is a reseller in Dublin too that could help on that one.

Also bear in mind the spec of the phones in the US are slightly different to the UK model we get here (to do with GSM or something along those lines) so not sure if thats the same again but you'd need to be sure.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Not sure on this, I know with iPhones and MacBooks bought in US they have to go back to the US for repair or replacement so you couldn't just go to the Apple store in Belfast for example, assuming that it will be the same with watch, could be wrong. You should call the store in Belfast to check there is a reseller in Dublin too that could help on that one.

Also bear in mind the spec of the phones in the US are slightly different to the UK model we get here (to do with GSM or something along those lines) so not sure if thats the same again but you'd need to be sure.

MacBooks have a worldwide warranty. Some US bought phones have to be returned to Belfast, they won't give the collect service on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭raytaxi

Apple usually very good with warranty I had my old Macbook (core duo2) fixed free in states, was bought here in Ireland and then done again in Belfast never a problem. It had the keyboard that cracked along the front replaced 3 times if I remember correctly and always free. Have iPad air with apple care bought in states and it will be repaired in Belfast if needed for free was told that in apple store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

whiterebel wrote: »
    MacBooks have a worldwide warranty. Some US bought phones have to be returned to Belfast, they won't give the collect service on them.

A US phone won't be accepted in Belfast either by collection or in person as far as I've heard they just won't take it - has to go back to US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

A US phone won't be accepted in Belfast either by collection or in person as far as I've heard they just won't take it - has to go back to US.

Not true. They order in the replacement part (US iPhone) for you.

Advertisement