Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Little Winter"

Options
  • 18-10-2015 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭

I'm sure everyone has heard of a thing called a "Little Summer" and "Indian Summer". Well I've decided to do a thread on periods known as "Little Winter". Such examples:

*October 27th-November 1st 2008
    *March 18th-21st 2007
    *February 4th-8th 2007
    *February 28th-March 5th 2006
    *November 17th-29th 2005

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I'm sure everyone has heard of a thing called a "Little Summer" and "Indian Summer". Well I've decided to do a thread on periods known as "Little Winter". Such examples:

*October 27th-November 1st 2008
    *March 18th-21st 2007
    *February 4th-8th 2007
    *February 28th-March 5th 2006
    *November 17th-29th 2005

Little winters in the form of 3-day periods? I don't get the point of this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

FWVT wrote: »
    Little winters in the form of 3-day periods? I don't get the point of this thread.

Little Winters can be in the form of up to like 7-day periods of very cold or snowy weather. So forget about that November 2005 one - it wasn't a little Winter. The point of it is to talk about memorable little Winters.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

How can they be described as little winters if they occur during the middle of winter??? I could understand if they were in early autumn or late spring or summer.

How can they be described as little winters if they occur during the middle of winter??? I could understand if they were in early autumn or late spring or summer.

Only the February 2007 one was during Winter?

You give me some examples of "Little Winter" in your definition please.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

What is the actual point of this ðŸ˜

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Only the February 2007 one was during Winter?

You give me some examples of "Little Winter" in your definition please.

I don't think there is such a thing. Our weather/climate is so mixed, changeable and unpredictable that you could have a little winter or little summer any time of year including during the respective seasons, ie our summer (here in the northwest) was absolutely abysmal this year that 3 days of sunshine could be classed as 'little summer' which we didn't actually get this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I suppose the extraordinary four day Siberian pipe burster of January 1987 might be called a "little winter". That winter (86-87) was otherwise unremarkable.

I don't think there is such a thing. Our weather/climate is so mixed, changeable and unpredictable that you could have a little winter or little summer any time of year including during the respective seasons, ie our summer (here in the northwest) was absolutely abysmal this year that 3 days of sunshine could be classed as 'little summer' which we didn't actually get this summer.

Okay, to classify a "little Winter" in my definition is:

*Lasts for 2-7 days
    *Minimums below 0c
    *Maximums below 10c

Do I need to describe any further?

I suppose the extraordinary four day Siberian pipe burster of January 1987 might be called a "little winter". That winter (86-87) was otherwise unremarkable.

Yep that is a great example!

gerrybhoy wrote: »
    What is the actual point of this ðŸ˜

What's the point of doing threads such as Worst Irish Summer? What's the point of doing threads such as Best/Longest Living Summers in Memory? To discuss about memorable events that are based on the thread's title!

Like the October snow of 2008 was memorable but infamous because it wasn't welcomed by people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

What's the point of doing threads such as Worst Irish Summer? What's the point of doing threads such as Best/Longest Living Summers in Memory? To discuss about memorable events that are based on the thread's title!

Like the October snow of 2008 was memorable but infamous because it wasn't welcomed by people.

But you said you would do a thread on little winters and then just quoted a few dates. Nothing else. No elaboration. You can see how that would lead to confusion.

FWVT wrote: »
    But you said you would do a thread on little winters and then just quoted a few dates. Nothing else. No elaboration. You can see how that would lead to confusion.

Two reasons for that:

*I am very busy - it is a true fact.
    *Yeah I'm waiting for others to give their experience on any "little Winters" they've been put through - I am interested! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

I'm sure the OP was genuine in starting the thread and asking the question but it's just another thread to clutter the weather forum considering it's a close enough topic to about 4 threads started in as many weeks.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mod Note: I am closing/locking this thread, as, to be honest I don't see it going anywhere (except possibly the wrong way!).

As sparrowcar says above, I'm sure the thread is genuine, but since there is no meteorological term defining a 'little winter'...very hard to go anywhere from there!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement