Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lawn seeding

Options
  • 18-10-2015 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭

I have just put down a load of topsoil in an area in my garden that I intend to have as lawn

Is it too late in the year to sow now, should I wait til next Spring?

thanks

PS I am in Clare, if that makes a difference (nearer the equator than Donegal for example :) )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

tombrown wrote: »
    I have just put down a load of topsoil in an area in my garden that I intend to have as lawn

Is it too late in the year to sow now, should I wait til next Spring?

thanks

PS I am in Clare, if that makes a difference (nearer the equator than Donegal for example :) )
    Nearer the gulf stream which is more of a defining factor, personally I'd say yes it's too late, but you can "chance" it if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

I would say go for it. I've seen grass sown on Dec 7th in Dublin city centre thrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭tombrown

How much seed woudl i need - in total there is about 300 sq ft to cover.

Also the soil I put down was about 1 ft deep, do I need to leave it to settle down for a while & then add more on top, if the level drops when it settles, or shoudl I be good to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

A foot should be plenty. For a lawn you should try and work the soil to as fine a tilth as you can and get it as level as you can. After sowing the seed, you should firm it in, either using a roller or take a walk over it in flat shoes taking baby steps. Give it a light watering if there's no rain. You're pushing it as this stage, it could turn cold very soon but then it might stay mild. At least the soil should still be warm enough for germination. If frosts hold off it might take. Just refer to the boxes/bags - they will tell you how much you need.
    I would go for it and expect to have to reseed it somewhat next spring. If you leave all that soil bare over winter with no grass you'll probably just end up with more weeds in it than if you sow and some takes.

Advertisement