Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballina Traffic & Management

Options
  • 18-10-2015 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭

The water maintenance work that is being carried out on Tolan Street is having a disastrous effect on both getting through the town and even around it. Given that this will be in place to Xmas and beyond, will the town centre recover from the lack of access?

It is also proposed that there will be major works done on the water mains between Paddy Jordans and Hollister in the new year. There will be a stop go system in place.

I nearly had an accident on O'Rahilly Street as a car pulled out of John Street towards Lidl last week. He sped across with no right of way and very little sign posts.

Signage around the works and traffic in general in Ballina is poor. This is evident around the river with signs such as maintain lane discipline and beware completely hidden and unclear as to the dangers.

Is this works necessary and is this the best way?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

I was told that they are replacing the rotten mains pipes that have been causing all the water stoppages over the past several years. I have had 5 over the past 12 months.

I do agree that the signage is pretty rotten. Just a few diversion signs here and there and warnings of closures on the approaches to the town. Its the Mart traffic that is causing many of the problems in the mornings. Tomorrow will be a bad morning.

TT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Reports that access out of Lidl is difficult as many motorists won't let cars out onto Bury Street. Some reports of road rage as frustrated Lidl shoppers getting out of cars and venting at drivers on Bury St for not letting them out.

Water maintenance not helping centre of town and problems like this only heightening road frustrations with overworked traffic on towns streets.

It's going to be a long few months ahead.......

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭tracey1098

Omg the traffic is awful! How long is going on for? Why can't they do it at night? Makes getting in and out of town impossible!!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

AA roadwatch says the works will only be in place on Tolan Street until the end of the month. Not sure about other streets but I for one haven't been in town all week. Businesses must be suffering. It's ridiculous that all traffic into or out of Ballina is forced onto one road, but there's no other way of doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

in fairness to the contractor they are finished on tolan/bridge st a week ahead of schedule the road is now open and traffic back to normal.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

farmchoice wrote: »
    in fairness to the contractor they are finished on tolan/bridge st a week ahead of schedule the road is now open and traffic back to normal.

Normal for Ballina...

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭tracey1098

Wonder what's the story for this week??

Advertisement