Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ITV - Unforgotten [** SPOILERS **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Great show, I really enjoyed it and tbh I’ve enjoyed it much more than Line of Duty recently (which I think has become too self-aware). I liked Ram. Thought he actually came across as one of the most sympathetic of them all. Well played.

2 things I haven’t seen anyone else mention:

- anyone else think her Dad (Peter Egan) is a ringer for the late great Sean Connery?! I also remember him from the ‘80’s comedy Ever decreasing circles, where he had a great comedic role.

- Cass’s boyfriend/partner. I’m not sure if it was just the lines he was given or if he’s just an average actor but he’s was incredibly bland and drippy. No matter what the situation, he had the same flat expression and tone. Just couldn’t see someone like Cass relating to him in real life.

I’m not surprised they’re doing another season but it’ll never be the same. ITV have done this before of course. Morse became Lewis. And Taggart ran on for several years after the original Taggart died in real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,137 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I still think they could do a new season with Nicola Walker, she could appear in his mind similar to the character she played in River.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Radio5

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Cassie's Dad (Peter Egan) has that gravitas about him that it felt like I'd seen him in many shows before

But when I checked his Wiki page, of all the shows listed I'd only previously seen hm in a small role in Ricky Gervais' "After Life"

He nailed his role in Unforgotten

Peter Egan was in the later series of Downton Abbey. He was a cousin of Lord Grantham. Lily James played his daughter.

I think John was meant to be a contrast with the chaos & busyness of Cassie's life, he was steady, maybe even a bit boring but perhaps that's what she felt she needed in a partner. In one of the earlier episodes, he was perceptive about what was possibly the real reason for her anger with her dad.

I think ITV may cast an established actress for the next series, just not someone too closely associated or identified with an existing police series.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Radio5 wrote: »
    Peter Egan was in the later series of Downton Abbey. He was a cousin of Lord Grantham. Lily James played his daughter.

I think John was meant to be a contrast with the chaos & busyness of Cassie's life, he was steady, maybe even a bit boring but perhaps that's what she felt she needed in a partner. In one of the earlier episodes, he was perceptive about what was possibly the real reason for her anger with her dad.

I think ITV may cast an established actress for the next series, just not someone too closely associated or identified with an existing police series.

Maxine Peake has been mentioned here and I think she'd do very well. I also think Sheridan Smith is a great actress although I think there was some hoohah in her personal life, I'm not one for celebrity gossip but I have vague memory of hearing she was having problems.

I'd love Archie Panjabi to come in, I think she's also a fantastic actress - but as Ram said, it's rare to have two Asian detectives in the same building, two in the same department might cause reality to collapse completely, ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Maxine Peake has been mentioned here and I think she'd do very well. I also think Sheridan Smith is a great actress although I think there was some hoohah in her personal life, I'm not one for celebrity gossip but I have vague memory of hearing she was having problems.

I'd love Archie Panjabi to come in, I think she's also a fantastic actress - but as Ram said, it's rare to have two Asian detectives in the same building, two in the same department might cause reality to collapse completely, ha
    Both of those suggestions are good - Smith always has a place in my top list of actors after the magnificent The 12 Days of Christine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

CoBo55 wrote: »
    I still think they could do a new season with Nicola Walker, she could appear in his mind similar to the character she played in River.
    I don't think that'd work really.
    I think the way the exit of Nichola was done was excellent.
    There was no dragged out scenes of her talking on her deathbed just crash->hospital->tiny bit of hope->no chance of survival
    Brutal but way more realistic.
    It made a huge impact along with the simplicity of her father replaying the voicemail, no funeral scene and a simple voiceover from her detective partner.

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    I don't think that'd work really.
    I think the way the exit of Nichola was done was excellent.
    There was no dragged out scenes of her talking on her deathbed just crash->hospital->tiny bit of hope->no chance of survival
    Brutal but way more realistic.
    It made a huge impact along with the simplicity of her father replaying the voicemail, no funeral scene and a simple voiceover from her detective partner.

It was extremely well done, very similar to the Scandinavian series.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,972 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Both of those suggestions are good - Smith always has a place in my top list of actors after the magnificent The 12 Days of Christine.
    Oh the inside number 9 episode? That is probably one of my favourite eps as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,972 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Maxine peake would be great love her in anything I have seen her in, loved silk.

I think sheridan smith had some issues alright with alcohol and mental health, but all seems to have settled down now thankfully she is so talented.

Massive fan of the good wife! Archie Panjabi was one of the best things about it. The daily mail reader would have a blooming heart attack if two asian leads lol....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

its gotta be helen mirren.. a prime suspect/unforgotten universe

• Advertisement

its gotta be helen mirren.. a prime suspect/unforgotten universe

Nah she's too old now. PS was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,886 ✭✭✭sporina

Finished Season 4 last night..

Twas ok - thought it all rolled out a bit too smooth for my liking - my fav season was definitely season 2... but I did enjoy season 4..

But wasn't expecting Cassie to go.. wow.. that was the real shock..will miss her for sure.. lovvved her in it.. can't imagine it without her..

I wonder why they wrote her out - did she not wanna continue with it? Must read up on it..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Finished Season 4 last night. Really enjoyed it as always, but felt there were a lot of loose ends regarding the case
    why did Rob keep the body? Why in a freezer? Why remove the head/hands, and then keep them? A lot left unexplained I feel

maudgonner wrote: »
    I've started rewatching Touching Evil, with a young Nicola Walker. It's a lot more melodramatic than Unforgotten and a bit dated, but well worth a look when waiting for season 5 :)
    Ian McDiarmid (Emperor Palpatine) is a horribly creepy villain in the first one <shiver>
    I found the episodes on Daily Motion.

whats Daily Motion? Never heard of it.. is it safe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Any word yet on why Nicola Walker left?

Was it her own choice or the writers?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Any word yet on why Nicola Walker left?

Was it her own choice or the writers?

Nicola Walker doesn't have any social media and she hasn't made any statement on her departure

Only thing I could find was this from the creator Tony Lang

https://mobile.twitter.com/ChrisLangWriter/status/1376640434131308546

So it seemed mutual enough from the outside

Edit: I don't know how to post a tweet properly, apologies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Found the official statement from ITV

"Nicola and writer Chris Lang decided that Cassie's story would come to an end last night, but that Unforgotten would continue, in series 5, with a new case, and a new 'Partner in Crime' for DI Sunny Khan."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Just caught up on the latest season over the weekend.

Very good series-well written, good whodunit narrative going through each season, interesting enough recurring characters, and brave writing.

Don't want to spoil, even though it's been refereed to above, but was genuinely surprised with the fate of Cassie in this season, brave writing really.
    I find itv series very hit and miss, generally light enough without much depth, but this is a good one, I'd recommend to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Finished this last night having been late to the party - I had never heard of it before. It is up there with “Line of Duty”. I agree with the poster above regarding loose ends but overall a good series so far and recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Nicola Walker also great in The Split
    She (Walker) was always going to exit. 3 months from retirement. They just made it a bit more final now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Cuttlefish

Watched the last episode last night and like you all was shocked by the death of Cas and it such a tragic way - her mind consumed with stress of the case and her fight with her dad and trying to patch things up!!

I was dumb-struck when she passed, Cass was such a methodical worked dogged and determined - hard to see how she can be replaced but lets hope it can be done

The story was great I think though why someone would store a headless body for sooo long nonetheless the background story of the main characters was intriguing.

Has anyone watched "The Bay" is it any good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭qwerty13

The Bay didn’t do it for me at all. I watched it until the end of S1, but I found the main character just too irritating - and some pretty implausible plot points. I think there was a second series, but I didn’t bother with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

I was very much like yourself as regards The Bay. I watched S1 and wasn't that impressed with the story and didn't particularly like any of the main characters. I decided to give S2 a go just to see and it was actually brilliant! The main character was much more likable and the story was much better. I'd say there will be a S3 and I'll definitely watch it. You should give S2 a chance-I think you like it.
    qwerty13 wrote: »
    The Bay didn’t do it for me at all. I watched it until the end of S1, but I found the main character just too irritating - and some pretty implausible plot points. I think there was a second series, but I didn’t bother with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

I agree with everything you've said- including about keeping the body- Why??!!I love Nicola Walker- I think she's a superb actress. As regards The Bay have a look at my reply to the other post -:)
    Cuttlefish wrote: »
    Watched the last episode last night and like you all was shocked by the death of Cas and it such a tragic way - her mind consumed with stress of the case and her fight with her dad and trying to patch things up!!

I was dumb-struck when she passed, Cass was such a methodical worked dogged and determined - hard to see how she can be replaced but lets hope it can be done

The story was great I think though why someone would store a headless body for sooo long nonetheless the background story of the main characters was intriguing.

Has anyone watched "The Bay" is it any good

• Registered Users Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭brian_t

johnire wrote: »
    I was very much like yourself as regards The Bay. I watched S1 and wasn't that impressed with the story and didn't particularly like any of the main characters. I decided to give S2 a go just to see and it was actually brilliant! The main character was much more likable and the story was much better. I'd say there will be a S3 and I'll definitely watch it.
    I second that about the Bay. Although the main character is not returning for the third series.

In relation to the last series of Unforgotten I thought it was great. But I did think it a bit silly the way they tried to set up all the suspects for the crash that killed Cass. All the suspects were seen to be driving at the time of the crash but none of them were bad enough to attempt to murder the lead detective on their case.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Just finished binge watching season 4

I am absolutely devastated with the ending. Like I’m in bits

Rfrip wrote: »
    Just finished binge watching season 4

I am absolutely devastated with the ending. Like I’m in bits

we your a sensitive soul..

i preferred series 2 or 3 - can't rem now.. think it was 3

thought the conclusion in series 4 was v rushed..

none the less, sad Cassie is gone.. she was so sharp but had so much compassion also

and I loved how she led her team

• Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭Rfrip

sporina wrote: »
    we your a sensitive soul..

i preferred series 2 or 3 - can't rem now.. think it was 3

thought the conclusion in series 4 was v rushed..

none the less, sad Cassie is gone.. she was so sharp but had so much compassion also

and I loved how she led her team

Sensitive soul for sure but Jesus it was sad

If anything happens Ted tonight I’ll have to ring in sick for the rest of the week

Rfrip wrote: »
    Sensitive soul for sure but Jesus it was sad

If anything happens Ted tonight I’ll have to ring in sick for the rest of the week

shuuuuuuusssshhhh... I am only on ep 3 of LOD 6...

we shall say NO MORE about it for now.. :pac:

• Advertisement

sporina wrote: »
    shuuuuuuusssshhhh... I am only on ep 3 of LOD 6...

we shall say NO MORE about it for now.. :pac:

Fella..

Advertisement