Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildangan Exchange contention

Options
  • 18-10-2015 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

Hi 

Over the past month I've been having issues in the evening with broadband being extremely slow after 7pm. During the day there is no issue and speedtests return between 5-6 Mbps but come the night time this drops down to 1-1.5Mbps. Can you advise if there are any plans to upgrade the exchange to deal with the contention issues? 

Thanks,
    Clayton  

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭eir: Alan

claytonie wrote: »
    Hi 

Over the past month I've been having issues in the evening with broadband being extremely slow after 7pm. During the day there is no issue and speedtests return between 5-6 Mbps but come the night time this drops down to 1-1.5Mbps. Can you advise if there are any plans to upgrade the exchange to deal with the contention issues? 

Thanks,
    Clayton  
    Hi claytonie

Very sorry to hear this. Please PM me your land line number and I'll look in to this further.

Thanks
    AL

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭claytonie

PM sent 

PM sent 
    Hi claytonie

Thanks for that but the number you PM'd is not recognised here, are you sure it's the correct one?

Al

Apologies hit the wrong key on one number have sent you the correction and acc# via pm 

Apologies hit the wrong key on one number have sent you the correction and acc# via pm 
    Thank you claytonie - I'll get back to you within 24 hours.

Thanks
    Al

• Advertisement

Hi Al 

Any update here ? 

Its been over a week with no update and I'm still experiencing a slow down in speed in the evenings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭eir: Tony

Its been over a week with no update and I'm still experiencing a slow down in speed in the evenings.
    Hi claytonie
    apologies Al is off for a few days but I can see he has sent to tech for update. I will chase for you and get response.
    Tony

[font=Tahoma","sans-serif]Hi claytonie
    [/font]

It has just been confirmed that work is underway to reconfigure the network to optimise the traffic flow reducing congestion.

Our networks team estimate the work will take approximately 3 weeks to complete.

Thanks
    Al

Thanks for the update Al, 

Is there a reason that I should be paying full price for a package then when there is confirmed issues impacting my service which will still last for another couple of weeks. 

• Advertisement

Thanks for the update Al, 

Is there a reason that I should be paying full price for a package then when there is confirmed issues impacting my service which will still last for another couple of weeks. 
    Hi claytonie

All eir broadband services, packages and subscriptions are sold and provided on the terms of 'up to' a given speed and in consideration a discount or credit would not be offered from eir. Terms and conditions: https://www.eir.ie/opencms/export/sites/default/.content/pdf/terms/Part3.1.pdf

I understand this news is disappointing and I'm sorry I can't do more

Al

So the "up to" aspect I thought was dependent on the speeds the phone line support. Mine currently supports 12MB but what you are saying is that the home packages offered are completely best effort and as more subscribers sign up congestion will increase and gradually we will be down to dial up speeds? 

In fact looking at https://www.eir.ie/broadbandspeed/ all literature points to the speed your line supports and no where does it mention upstream network bottlenecks as the cause for slow connection. 

Can you confirm what the contention ratio is on my package? 

[font=GT-Walsheim-Regular, Arial][font=eir-medium-web, 'Arial Medium']What speed can I expect?[/font]
    There are two main elements to the speed you experience in your home.
    [/font]
    1. The speed coming down the cable into your house from outside (your line speed) 
    2. The wireless/Wi-Fi signal within your house
    [*]
    The speed coming down the cable is what we refer to as 'line speed'. This is determined by the type of broadband that is in your area (eir Fibre, uncongested or DSL) and how far your house is from your local telephone exchange and local cabinet.
    Note: cables are not laid in direct line of sight.
    To see what speed your line can support please choose from our range of broadband bundles and then check your availability.
    [*]
    [font=GT-Walsheim-Regular, Arial][font=eir-medium-web, 'Arial Medium']Why do eir refer to "up to" speeds?[/font]
    We say "up to" because the broadband speeds your line can receive to your door will depend on a number of factors, including how far you are from your local exchange - the closer you are, the higher the speed your line can handle.[/font]

So the "up to" aspect I thought was dependent on the speeds the phone line support. Mine currently supports 12MB but what you are saying is that the home packages offered are completely best effort and as more subscribers sign up congestion will increase and gradually we will be down to dial up speeds? 

In fact looking at https://www.eir.ie/broadbandspeed/ all literature points to the speed your line supports and no where does it mention upstream network bottlenecks as the cause for slow connection. 

Can you confirm what the contention ratio is on my package? 

[font=GT-Walsheim-Regular, Arial][font=eir-medium-web, 'Arial Medium']What speed can I expect?[/font]
    There are two main elements to the speed you experience in your home.
    [/font]
    • The speed coming down the cable into your house from outside (your line speed) 
    • The wireless/Wi-Fi signal within your house

[*]
    The speed coming down the cable is what we refer to as 'line speed'. This is determined by the type of broadband that is in your area (eir Fibre, uncongested or DSL) and how far your house is from your local telephone exchange and local cabinet.
    Note: cables are not laid in direct line of sight.
    To see what speed your line can support please choose from our range of broadband bundles and then check your availability.
    [*]
    [font=GT-Walsheim-Regular, Arial][font=eir-medium-web, 'Arial Medium']Why do eir refer to "up to" speeds?[/font]
    We say "up to" because the broadband speeds your line can receive to your door will depend on a number of factors, including how far you are from your local exchange - the closer you are, the higher the speed your line can handle.[/font]

[*]
    Hi Claytonie,

The terms and conditions do not suggest this - The term 'up to' is not subject to conditions of a specific reason or area or application. I can assure you though that works are underway to and are set to finalize in approx. 3 weeks.

Al

Hi

Its been over a month now and the nightly problems still exist can I get an update on when this is expected to be remedied?

I'll check for an update on this for you today claytonie

Al

Thanks Al appreciate that and hopefully you have good news to put me out of my nightly misery.

Thanks Al appreciate that and hopefully you have good news to put me out of my nightly misery.
    Cheers claytonie - I'll get back to you asap

Al

Any update?

Anything?

Its been over a week since follow up requested could you please let me know the status of when normal service will be restored?

• Advertisement

Its been over a week since follow up requested could you please let me know the status of when normal service will be restored?

Hi claytonie

I'm still awaiting clarification from the networks team - I will keep following this up until I do have more news and I will get back to you as soon as possible

AL

Hi Al

Its been 2.5 months now with no change.

Bump

Al surely the networks team has an update 2.5 months later?

Hi claytonie

I understand your disappointment and I'm sorry for the inconvenience however eir fault levels remain high in many parts of the country due to the recent adverse weather conditions including flooding, severe winds and lightning. This has created a focus on repairing line faults thus creating further delays across other scheduled plan, works and new installations.

I have passed your feedback to eir networks and as soon as I have more information on this I will let you know.

Thanks
    Al

Hi Al

Just checking in to see if there was any update as the 8pm slowdown still persists.

Hi Al

Just checking in to see if there was any update as the 8pm slowdown still persists.
    Hi claytonie

I have received no further update on this yet however I will follow up again and get back to you as soon as I can

Thanks
    Al

Advertisement