Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on upgrade of Dormer

Options
  • 18-10-2015 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭

Realise that this is a bit vague but any general advice would be good.

Saw a nice house last week, nice site, layout and aspect so pretty much most of what we are looking for, but on both viewings the heat was on full blast despite asking for it to be turned off on viewing 2. Noticed at the viewing that the heat timer is set on around 10 hours a day.

So the details 14 year old dormer C2 BER although the BER is a little sketchy on details regarding uValues of walls, floor, roofs etc.

5 or 6 windows had noticeable gaps that I could almost stick my finger through so I reckon that along with 14 year old glass means that they would probably need to be replaced sooner rather than later.
    The oil boiler efficiency is low at 79% so I reckon it would need to replaced fairly soon too.

Those I can estimate and see but I have a general impression that Dormers in general might be harder to get up to a nice standard of heat retention.
    Seriously considering making an offer on this, but my wife likes a warm house and I don't like spending a fortune heating a place not the feeling of heat on all day. If I could never (without mad money) get it nice and comfortable then I would just walk away.

So any opinions or advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Dormers are notorious for air leakage, between the eaves and knee high walls & dormer areas.
    Best to allow money for air-tightness work, as well as Windows and insulation upgrades.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tipping

BryanF wrote: »
    Dormers are notorious for air leakage, between the eaves and knee high walls & dormer areas.
    Best to allow money for air-tightness work, as well as Windows and insulation upgrades.

Thanks for that. Any idea what type of work might be involved in improving the air tightness of such a house. Any nice link out there that describes it pretty well?
    Also how would you achieve balance between air tightness and appropriate ventilation?

Advertisement