Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heartburn

Options
  • 18-10-2015 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

I'm 30 weeks pregnant and the heartburn is killing me :( I didn't have this on my last pregnancy. Google tells me I need to give up chocolate and sure enough sugar seems to make it better but then instantly worse. So I'll give that a go. Any other tips?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

I found milk and natural yoghurt worked very well. Also lots and lots of water!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I used to get some relief from peppermint tea but unfortunately it would make my hyperemesis worse :(

So then I used to chew extra chewing gum...I think peppermint flavour :)

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭ainy

I used to carry a bottle of gaviscon around with me and just swig from it whenever I needed! it worked!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

I am 8days over. Words can't express how fed up I am. Heartburn last night was absolutely horrific. So much so that husband wanted to bring me in to the hosp!!!

Gaviscon worked in the early days. As did a spoon of bread soda tipped straight onto my tongue and washed down with a glass of water. Give the bread soda a go maybe.

Speak to your GP on your next visit. There is a tablet they can prescribe that is meant to be very safe and it will give 24 hour relief. Only reason I didn't get it myself is because it wasn't constant. I could go for days/weeks without any heartburn and then get a bad bout of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

If its really bad,get the prescribed heartburn tablet. I ended up on it and it helped an awful lot.

I found fizzy drinks, crisps or acidic foods gave it to me and was drinking roughly 2 to 3 pints of milk a day. I suppose its good for the calcium intake ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

Hi, I have a terrible time with rampaging heartburn when pregnant. I was prescribed ranitidine on last pregnancy and just got a prescription for it again last week (23 weeks). It's brilliant, instant relief and is safe in pregnancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

I went to doc and was prescribed Zantac (I think). Take it once a day or twice a day and it worked wonders. I couldn't eat chocolate at all towards the end of pregnancy even with the tablet. And the heartburn in labour was horrific but you can ask for something which might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

I was on ranitidine/Zantac towards the end of my pregnancy too, it works really well. A midwife in the hospital at one of my checks suggested it because as well as terrible heartburn I had nine months of the aul morning sickness & it helped take the edge off that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

Thanks for your replies ladies. Of all the times to have to give up chocolate! Maybe its for the best it has become my main food groups recently ...

• Registered Users Posts: 18 labin_86

I feel your pain! I have it constantly, it doesn't seem to matter what I eat.
    I have found coconut water pretty good, it takes the edge off and gives me some instant relief, Im not really a fan of milk and Ive become quite picky with my food since being pregnant. I've heard that almond milk is really good too.
    Gaviscon has been my constant companion but it doesn't always work depending on how severe the heartburn is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Last pregnancy I used Gaviscon in 1st Trimester
    Used Zantac (available over the counter in chemist and even in Tescos/Dunnes) and Gaviscon in 2nd trimester
    Used Losec, Zantac & Gaviscon in 3rd trimester.

Don't forget to bring your heartburn stuff in the hospital bag - that was one of the best hospital bag tips I found online the last time!

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭New farmers wife

I was drinking a glass of milk with dinner and I've used gaviscon lately but was crippled today and whatever happened tonight I started to get sick, not nice but so much better after it. I had some Diet Coke today, think that stuff is the devil!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I had it very bad in the 3rd trimester of my first pregnancy.
    I got Gaviscon but couldn't use it because the flavour made me gag :(
    I found eating only a small amount in the evenings (we would normally have our main meal at 7, I switched that to the middle of the day, and just have a light snack in the evening), and to try not to lie down for at least an hour after eating.
    Avocado, and icecream aggravated it so I avoided those.

On a positive note, there has been scientific research backing up the old wives tale that if you have bad heartburn during pregnancy, your baby will have a fine head of hair! :)
    (My son was like a hairy little monkey when he was born, incidentally! :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

On a positive note, there has been scientific research backing up the old wives tale that if you have bad heartburn during pregnancy, your baby will have a fine head of hair! :)
    (My son was like a hairy little monkey when he was born, incidentally! :p)

Mine was too - born with more hair than his dad :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Lucuma wrote: »
    Last pregnancy I used Gaviscon in 1st Trimester
    Used Zantac (available over the counter in chemist and even in Tescos/Dunnes) and Gaviscon in 2nd trimester
    Used Losec, Zantac & Gaviscon in 3rd trimester.

Don't forget to bring your heartburn stuff in the hospital bag - that was one of the best hospital bag tips I found online the last time!

Please do not advise people to take medication during pregnancy without consulting their own doctor.

Advertisement